Shane Van Boening on Bullying

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I don't know about the other guys you mentioned but I think you have Sean in the wrong spot. He is a great guy. Maybe he rubbed you the wrong way, but its like I mentioned before.

I had a go round or two here with a couple of guys and ended up liking both them muchly afterward. Sometimes you have to give people a second chance.

I have often found that sometimes first impressions can be very wrong. You look at a person and take an instant dislike to them and later find out that
you were wrong and become good friends with them. They end up being the best guys.

Rack, I don't know if that is a pic of you or not. If it is, there is no doubt in my mind that you can help the bullies fulfill their destiny.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW....this subject hits home for me.....I was the youngest of 10 kids, and on top of that I was a fat kid! Back in the day I could laugh if off and make fun so I could fit in with the crowd, but actually....I would run home down to our basement and hit balls on out GC1 to ease the pain!.

NOTHING....made me happier then getting away from those people! If I didnt have that table in our basement....I don't know how I would have turned out!

Today I see the trouble with over weight kids and it makes me sad.....you can laugh it off.....or say....look, 50% of kids are fat, so I am ok........nope....been there......

life sucks as a fat kid.......if you hate it? PM me...we can talk.

G.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just talking to my wife about bullying. She's an administrator at a special needs school, the kind that gets future gang bangers that were kicked out of public school and do "time" there while waiting for their day in prison. Some of these kids came there after Tryon closed and there was no place outside of jail to send them. Tryon was the detention center that Mike Tyson came out of. So, let's just say she sees her fair share of world-class bullying.

She told me that NY State just enacted a law called "The Safe Schools Act", which mandates that any bullying suspected by teachers be reported to someone on the administrative level. Hopefully, teachers will be forced to address this problem when they see it rather than sweeping it under the rug and letting the kids "figure it out on their own".

This new law even extends to cyberbullying. For example, if a kid brings a Facebook attack to the attention of their teacher, the teacher must report it to the authorities, and the cops WILL come right to the offenders home and arrest them.

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
Thanks for linking to that video, I hadn't seen it and it makes me even have a higher opinion of Shane.

To answer some of the questions in this thread.

Shane did a commercial for the hearing aid brand that he uses here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KhOogj6dc

It states that he has been 97% deaf since birth.

I know he bought a brand new Cadillac a few years ago and he recently told me now he has a truck. I would guess that it is a Chevy truck and that is what he is referring to in the original video.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
My post indicated I saw bullying on here and some thought I was talking about me...

I've been stuck up at gunpoint 4 times, stabbed twice and also have my "bullying stories" of when I was young...

God works in mysterious ways. 'The Game {of Life} is the Teacher'

I just get tired of the anonymous, "CJ doesn't know anything" crap, and like many others, more often than not, it makes me not want to say anything and just leave the forum to TheThaiger, Pangit, Lutz, Tristan, and the other internet heroes who can neither type, teach, or play. Mary herself got a lambasting I was ashamed to see here but then again this is not RSB.

You have me beat at violence, I've only been stabbed once and had a gun held to me once. I will think of it like golf and assume my lower score means I win. :)

The tagline just reminds of a salesman trying to sell a used Chevy Cavalier. It doesn't seem to have any relevance, just a quick catch-phrase to serve as a trigger to remind me that CJ said it. I'll end up buying your DVD, not because the game taught me to, but because your ability to teach seems to be better than most. TOI isn't anything new, commentators and players have talked about it for years, you just added a name to it. However, I will not go Anti-Tor about it like JAM saying you stole Earl's idea. Instead, I'll be happy you can pen it down in some semblance of order and give you kudos for that.

Yes my post was off-the-threads-topic, which I detest, but your reference to online bullying make it seem like a good place to add it. I knew Shane had some trouble before the video came out, and thought the better of him for ending up the victor. Shane already had my support, I didn't need to add it here.

PS: Assuming everything works out with vacation time, if you're still into those $1000 sets that were mentioned on here, I'll see you at the US Open 10-Ball in July.

Donkey Bruce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just get tired of the anonymous, "CJ doesn't know anything" crap, and like many others, more often than not, it makes me not want to say anything and just leave the forum to TheThaiger, Pangit, Lutz, Tristan, and the other internet heroes who can neither type, teach, or play.

How do you know? Have you played them or is this another example of the power of belief?

It is strong in these parts. What people WANT to believe is frightening.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
What people WANT to believe is frightening.

I've seen 3 out of those 4. If people played as well as they typed Shane wouldn't be at the top anymore. There are a few sporty players around here, but they don't get involved in the drama wars. Why should any pro suffer the insults to help out when half the people here think they know more about the game than any pro, living or dead anyway.

I fully admit I have no idea what I'm doing. Some days I'm not sure which end of the cue gets the chalk. But hey, I'm just a banger. At least I step into the box when I can instead of just insulting pro players because I need the limelight.

I'm happy to skim over CJs posts on occasion but until now never added anything to a thread he was in. I enjoy the league stories, support some of the endeavors, buy some of the products. I commented on MikeD's personality, not smeared his last name. I commented on Earl's behavior, not laughed at his imagination. But then again, I'm not a bully online or off.

People can believe whatever they want but watching the internet tough guys never show up at events does put a smile on my face.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I've seen 3 out of those 4. If people played as well as they typed Shane wouldn't be at the top anymore. There are a few sporty players around here, but they don't get involved in the drama wars. Why should any pro suffer the insults to help out when half the people here think they know more about the game than any pro, living or dead anyway.

I fully admit I have no idea what I'm doing. Some days I'm not sure which end of the cue gets the chalk. But hey, I'm just a banger. At least I step into the box when I can instead of just insulting pro players because I need the limelight.

I'm happy to skim over CJs posts on occasion but until now never added anything to a thread he was in. I enjoy the league stories, support some of the endeavors, buy some of the products. I commented on MikeD's personality, not smeared his last name. I commented on Earl's behavior, not laughed at his imagination. But then again, I'm not a bully online or off.

People can believe whatever they want but watching the internet tough guys never show up at events does put a smile on my face.

THIS! :slap:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
on one hand the bullying was a traumatic time, yet on another hand I"m not sure.....

I appreciate your opinions, like everyone's it's good to live in a "free country" where we can still have freedom of speech. I never have felt "bullied"' on here, there's very little that surprises or threatens me anymore, I've been making my own way since I was 9 years old, and earned some scars that tell a "less than glamorous" story.

On one hand the bullying was a traumatic time, yet on another it's not certain I could have survived the brutal life on the road hustling pool without this type of childhood "training". To win those 20 hour gambling sessions consistently it takes more than "good concentration," and solid fundamentals, it takes something we always called heart, and looking back I don't think there's any pleasurable way to develop killer instinct....such is Life, God works in mysterious ways. ;)
'The Game {of Life} is the Teacher'

Last edited:

Donkey Bruce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

which three?

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Many of us have to go through these "life experiences" and sometimes you look back and are thankful. Shane's "killer instinct" is a direct result of this "bullying" I would venture to guess. You have to be somewhat "cold blooded" at times to compete at the World Class Level.

I forgot what "bullying" was until I got on this forum. The "cyber bullies"
color-cyber-bullies-web.jpg
are an unusual "breed" because they can do it and hide behind fictitious identities.

By the way, it's much better now, the "AZ Moderators" are doing an effective job, I don't see it, or experience it much anymore.

I've talked to many pro players that won't post on AZBILLIARDS because of this. I am encouraging them, especially Shane (if you're reading this) to start posting, it would be much better, I would feel more comfortable with some "company". 'The Game is the Teacher'

I wonder why you feel "uncomfortable" and without "company" among fellow human beings?
Is it that you feel you are superior to everyone else on here?
Btw I think you have bullied your way around this forum using your bit of celebrity as a get out of jail free card.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder why you feel "uncomfortable" and without "company" among fellow human beings?
Is it that you feel you are superior to everyone else on here?
Btw I think you have bullied your way around this forum using your bit of celebrity as a get out of jail free card.

Sorry, "slasher", you feel that way.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Johnny and Shane "cut up" like teenagers which was refreshing.

Thanks for linking to that video, I hadn't seen it and it makes me even have a higher opinion of Shane.

To answer some of the questions in this thread.

Shane did a commercial for the hearing aid brand that he uses here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KhOogj6dc

It states that he has been 97% deaf since birth.

I know he bought a brand new Cadillac a few years ago and he recently told me now he has a truck. I would guess that it is a Chevy truck and that is what he is referring to in the original video.

That's really cool, John, thanks for sharing. Shane and I hung out more at he Mosconi Cup than anytime in the past and he is a lot of fun, Johnny and Shane "cut up" like teenagers which was refreshing. There's so much pressure at those type events it's nice to have guys like Dennis Hatch, Johnny Archer, Mike D., and Shane participating. They all took the ups and down as well as I could have ever hoped for, Shane in particular. I'm certain he was ready for that final match if it would have come down to him playing D.A. :thumbup:

Donkey Bruce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to catch him in a lie when he says TheThaiger because, you know, you're so clever that no one knows that's really you? :rolleyes:

In the last few days I've been hondo, pj, pangit, two people I'd never heard of and now thaiger.

Any more? (this is cyber bullying btw)

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
In the last few days I've been hondo, pj, pangit, two people I'd never heard of and now thaiger.

Any more? (this is cyber bullying btw)

I haven't called you any of the others. I'm sticking with Thaiger. It's quite obvious, really.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
The Thaiger is the only one I haven't either seen play or seen the results of their "expert" knowledge. I'm not interested in his ability or insight as his personality is just too abrasive for me.

CJ, understand, I'm not a detractor. I think you have a lot to offer and I appreciate you being on here for everyone. I won't agree with everything you say, but when I don't I'm not going to make a multi-page thread out of it. I even use outside draw to cinch the CB off the rail sometimes. :eek:

I don't get why people feel an anonymous name on a forum gives them the right to say bad things about Emily, Jennifer, Borana, Keith, and others. I can see why Shane got bullied as a child; he was different; that's a bad place to be in as a child. I'm glad he channeled it into something productive. I don't agree with his aiming system, but hey, what do I know? I don't call him names because I don't see how it works (and I tried it for a while, not just decided it didn't work for me), I just stay quiet and assume it works for him.

WhatRobEats

Not as good as he thinks
Silver Member
Most laughable thing in this thread is that CJ feels like he doesn't have 'company'. Jesus Christ man I'm surprised your internet provider can handle the bandwidth your ego needs. There is not a single poster on this forum who has more threads directed specifically at them than you do.

Maybe that's part of the problem. You feel that you don't have company because you alienate yourself by signing all of your posts with a dumb tag line. We get it dude we know what you do and how successful at it you are. Why don't you show some humility and quit thinking your 'too good' to join the rest of us.

You need Shane, Mike, and other pros to make you feel welcome. GTFO with that.

Edit: BTW this isn't bullying. I don't agree with bullying as I stated passionately earlier in this thread. This is a nice big TRUTH pill.

Last edited: