Shane Van Boening on Bullying

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is what is right with pool..

Shane Van Boening reflects on his childhood experiences being bullied all the way through high school. It was this personal rejection that drove him to the family pool hall and made him in to the champion that he is today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g_lOFhd8ePk

With EVERYTHING that people point too and say that is what is wrong with pool ... well you can point to the short video and say THAT guy is what this sport is about and we, as fans, are PROUD to have him as a representative of this sport

(and I must admit that I will bet against SVB if the other guy's initials are D.O... lol)...

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane

That is a pretty remarkable story.
To become arguably the best player in the world and to be deaf and
To have gone thru that as a kid more power to him.
We are now coming to grips in our society how bad this can be for young
People I am glad he has spoken out on the subject. IMO that took a bit of
Courage..
MCP

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing that.

My father Bo and Aunt Rhonda are both deaf, as are many of the friends I've made through their acquaintances.

As a child, I saw my father bullied by many of his (adult) peers. I didn't realize it at the time, because that was all I knew.

Later, as I became a young adult, I became more aware of how it was different than how others in his profession were treated.

To be perfectly honest, it was really tough to see that stuff after I knew what was really happening.

I love my Dad, and I'm proud of who he is, and everything he's done for himself and for my family. And I'm proud of the example he set for us kids. I don't want to type much more because honestly, I'm getting a little choked up.

Anyway, it's really great to see and hear Shane talk about bullying and how he made it through, how he handled it, and how he overpowered the negativity with his positive living.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this. I guess just to share my experience.

-Blake

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't wait to watch the vid when I get the time, but I do have a question I'm sure some one here can answer.

What is the percentage of SVB's hearing impairment? From what I have heard/read he is not totally (100%) deaf as he can hear with hearing aids.

Edited to add: watched the vid and what a great inspiration SVB is... class act.

Last edited:

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
First of all it made my heart flutter with sadness for Shane and for the ignorant people who bullied him. Secondly it made me like him all the more.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Three cheers for SVB! I liked him a lot before I saw this, now I like and respect him even more. Thanks for posting this.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Not only is he a champion pool player but a champion person to boot. I hate fn bullies. I'd shoot them all if I could get away with it. No one knows how many lives they've ruined over the years. Johnnyt

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
That hit pretty close to home. I can relate. My public school years were anything but fun. I just wanted to be accepted and be like everyone else.

Really blessed that I wasn't accepted for fear that I may have turned out to
be like them.

That part of life taught me some valuable lessons on how to treat others in later years. I always stuck up for the under dog nerds after that. Still do when I see someone being picked on, altho, my reflexes aren't as good as once was.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bittersweet memories. So glad Shane transformed himself to be the best. Bravo! :clapping::clapping:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am encouraging them, especially Shane (if you're reading this) to start posting

Shane Van Boening reflects on his childhood experiences being bullied all the way through high school. It was this personal rejection that drove him to the family pool hall and made him in to the champion that he is today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g_lOFhd8ePk

Many of us have to go through these "life experiences" and sometimes you look back and are thankful. Shane's "killer instinct" is a direct result of this "bullying" I would venture to guess. You have to be somewhat "cold blooded" at times to compete at the World Class Level.

I forgot what "bullying" was until I got on this forum. The "cyber bullies"
color-cyber-bullies-web.jpg
are an unusual "breed" because they can do it and hide behind fictitious identities.

By the way, it's much better now, the "AZ Moderators" are doing an effective job, I don't see it, or experience it much anymore.

I've talked to many pro players that won't post on AZBILLIARDS because of this. I am encouraging them, especially Shane (if you're reading this) to start posting, it would be much better, I would feel more comfortable with some "company". 'The Game is the Teacher'

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of us have to go through these "life experiences" and sometimes you look back and are thankful. Shane's "killer instinct" is a direct result of this "bullying" I would venture to guess. You have to be somewhat "cold blooded" at times to compete at the World Class Level.

I forgot what "bullying" was until I got on this forum. The "cyber bullies"
color-cyber-bullies-web.jpg
are an unusual "breed" because they can do it and hide behind fictitious identities.

By the way, it's much better now, the "AZ Moderators" are doing an effective job, I don't see it, or experience it much anymore.

I've talked to many pro players that won't post on AZBILLIARDS because of this. I am encouraging them, especially Shane (if you're reading this) to start posting, it would be much better, I know I would feel more comfortable with some "company". 'The Game is the Teacher'

Hear, hear! So true what you say. It's all fun an games on the forum for some, and for others, it's their passion, their livelihood, or something they feel very strongly about.

Glad you are sticking it out, C.J. This forum is a better place with you in it. :smile:

Rio19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As if I did not love SVB already. To face such hateful things and still turn out to be such a positive and confident person is the most amazing thing about this story to me..

Shane is a Champion on so many levels!!!

RED LITE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?

Very inspirational, certainly.

(If you watched the video), did SVB drive a new Cadi or a new Chevy? He seems to say both....

RL