Shane Van Boening playing with extension why??

will14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use A BR on my Schon, just really like the feel. Once you get used to it it's tough to change back. I'm also about 6' 4" so that may be a factor.
Wondering where you found a BR extension that fit a Schon cue? All that I've seen say they don't work with Schon's cues (even though they say they fit a 5/16 x 14 joint). Where did you order yours?

Thanks!

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue extension (mid) for my carom cue. Its slightly shorter cue than the normal pocket cue, plus the carom tables are 5x10, so I have to reach more. I dont like the end of cue extension because most are solid wood. Some are the tube sleeve, and the butt grip. I dont like those either. They throw the balance off. The middle extension doesn't shift it greatly because its closer than the end extensions. I would like to get longer shafts, but wonder why manufacturers arent making them longer than 30 inches as an alternative. I think thats a niche market that they should profit from!! I'd rather buy a longer shaft. I know it my not fit in my case, but They can always make larger cases too.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Did any of you guys that use the Balance Right extension notice if it changes the hit or feedback of the cue???

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Having yes of cue with the makings longer yes good with playing maker of balls.

I really like the balance-rite extension too. But their quality is suspect. Make sure you order three of them and then send the other two back.

Regards,

Lesh

Last edited:

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondering where you found a BR extension that fit a Schon cue? All that I've seen say they don't work with Schon's cues (even though they say they fit a 5/16 x 14 joint). Where did you order yours?

Thanks!

Honestly don't recall where I got it from, sure it probably was one of the major suppliers, Ozone, Pooldawg et al. Fits my Schon CX83 fine.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
All I know is when Joe (Cognoscenti) made me an extension, the only one he's ever made, it didn't take long to get used to playing with it. Cue plays great plus now there's the extra length advantage...

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend Lee Brett, the pool instructor, pointed out to me that you get more action the further back you bridge the cue, so more cue is coming off your bridge hand. Once he told me that I noticed a lot of players, especially the Europeans, do that (Jayson Shaw doesn't!) So if you're tall it's hard to do it without an extension, you're literally holding the butt of the cue.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having yes of cue with the makings longer yes good with playing maker of balls.

I really like the balance-rite extension too. But their quality is suspect. Make sure you order three of them and then send the other two back.

Regards,

Lesh

Absolutely.
Anyone reading this thinking about a balance rite, read this thread with video....
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5268234

If you read through, there are some members here who make perfect mid extensions. Contact info is towards the end of the thread.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, Strickland was possessed by an pool alien for a long time. That's why he looked glummer and glummer each year, and got more angry each time.

Now it has grown and multiplied and due to the fact that van Boening and Strickland were playing the Mosconi and other matches so closely together the pool aliens offspring jumped over to van Boening.

Is has now started controlling vBs brains and will continue to grow ... :(

Yours sincerely,
MG

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend Lee Brett, the pool instructor, pointed out to me that you get more action the further back you bridge the cue ... snip snip snip

No question. That's simply physics. However, the further you bridge back on your cue the more likely it will be that you miss the spot on the cue ball you are aiming for imparting unwanted nasties like spin, throw swerve etc.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
No question. That's simply physics [that you get more action the further back you bridge the cue].

I think you get more action with a longer bridge simply because it gives you more time/distance to build up to a higher cue speed than is possible with a shorter bridge. Is that the physics you were referring to or did you have something else in mind?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you get more action with a longer bridge simply because it gives you more time/distance to build up to a higher cue speed than is possible with a shorter bridge. Is that the physics you were referring to ... snip

Mass, speed, force. Mr Newton would concur.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed a lot of people doing this lately. The balance right extension is becoming more popular.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im confused by all of it.
people buy a cue from a big name maker that plays lights out!
First thing they do is put on a LD shaft , number 2 , stick a 30.00 extension right in the middle of it straight out of a box.
Now you have a Frankenstein cue.
No balance , no feel.
Might as well buy a one piece cue , hack it in half , put a pin in it and save 5000.00

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you know, that is a myth. Once the CB leaves the tip (in 1/1000th of a second) the physics part of the equation is over. How you 'finish' your swing is up to you, but extended followthrough does not give you anything extra, as far as the outcome of the shot is concerned. The truth is that people may like extensions on their cues (whether it's at the joint, or the end of the cue), but there were many very tall champion players before the advent of the longer cues. It's mostly psychological...but if it makes you "feel" like you play better, then by all means utilize it. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

My friend Lee Brett, the pool instructor, pointed out to me that you get more action the further back you bridge the cue, so more cue is coming off your bridge hand. Once he told me that I noticed a lot of players, especially the Europeans, do that (Jayson Shaw doesn't!) So if you're tall it's hard to do it without an extension, you're literally holding the butt of the cue.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you know, that is a myth. Once the CB leaves the tip (in 1/1000th of a second) the physics part of the equation is over. How you 'finish' your swing is up to you, but extended followthrough does not give you anything extra, as far as the outcome of the shot is concerned. The truth is that people may like extensions on their cues (whether it's at the joint, or the end of the cue), but there were many very tall champion players before the advent of the longer cues. It's mostly psychological...but if it makes you "feel" like you play better, then by all means utilize it. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

It's not a myth. It's just not the whole picture. The truth is that with a longer bridge you do get more action on the cue ball. It's plain outright fact that it's supported through physics equations. What you fail to grasp is that with a longer bridge most, not all, but most people do not properly stroke a cue ball to achieve the benefits of that bridge length. And I'd wager to say that regardless of bridge length, most people just so not stroke correctly. Which is why you have positioned your opinion as such. But where you're wrong at is this contact time. A truly properly stroked shot has a contact time that is 2-3x longer than a cue ball that is just struck with no meaningful intention. It's the same thing as hearing someone give you advice "you gotta dig into the cue ball."

There's more I could say, but I think it might off track the topic. If you wanna discuss it, you can pm me.

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shares record with a standard length cue is unbelievable. after watching him play with the extended cue it seems his misses are much worst not rattling the pocket but missing the pocket completely. i believe the engineering characteristics built into the standard length cue change with longer length, weight, and balance. he seems to do alright with straight ins but sometimes misses badly with english. other have tried the extensions but go back.