Sharks International 9 Ball Open (24-29 July), Philippines, Prize Fund $100K

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this is anything like the regular Sharks stream, it will be a giant pass for me. Bless those guys and girls for giving us a ton of pro pool, but their streams as even more boring than the matchroom ones.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm here in the PI now and will be doing commentary the last three days, during the SE Knockout Stage. There are a couple of dozen foreign players here, very good ones like the Ko bros. Gorst, Yapp, Chang Jung Lin and Chang Yu Lung from Taiwan, Oi, the Vietnamese contingent and some strong Aussies too. All the top Pinoys are in this field, plus 50 more very strong (solid .700+) players who are not well known here because they've never been to the USA. Watch for some big upsets.

i really liked your interview about this in the pool player podcast, jay. for those who missed it:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
that was my idea exactly, a monetary fine. or dock a rack in the next match. viet guy showed poor class in pocketing the 9 and also hanging around expecting a deciding rack. i suspect there would have been angry fans if it had gone any other way, he is in the philippines after all..
Some pool players can’t think their way out of a wet paper bag…..he’s not doing the right thing…but neither is she..
…..why would she shoot when he was trying to concede?
…..the ref ain’t too swift either.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some pool players can’t think their way out of a wet paper bag…..he’s not doing the right thing…but neither is she..
…..why would she shoot when he was trying to concede?
…..the ref ain’t too swift either.

i think the ref told her to shoot and with shot clock and all i understand why she did (and why she missed)

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I proceeded to Matchroom Pool website, with the hope to get the schedule/order of play. Zero info there. Given the caliber of participants (well, okay, divide by the organization level) that's is beyond understanding, why MR treats Sharks Open this way. I realize they pay attention to "blue ribbon" events which are listed on top of that very website, but I think you got what I'm driving to here.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is a Matchroom nineballl ranking event
Field
Strongest field for a ranking event. At least 16 x800+ players. Not counting handful of less known players who are 800+ but do not have minimum number of games in Fargo yet like Mocaibat, Villafuerte
Though not as strong as the field for a major which typically has at least 2 dozen 800+ players

8x800+ international well known players (Big Ko, Lil Ko, Gorst, Yapp, Oi, Duong, Wu Kunlin, Chang Jung Lin) . Missing many international big names
8x800 Filipino players (Raga, Orcollo, Aranas, Banares, Lee Van, Johan Chua, Garcia, Biado). So many "unknown" Filipino players in the field who can play and upset some big name :LOL:
Live Stream at https://sharksbilliardleague.com/
This is just wonderful. Matchroom's affiliation with events all over the world will, over time, earn some top, yet relatively unknown players, invitations into the Matchroom majors, and one day those majors will have even stronger fields than the super-elite fields we find in these events now.

This looks like a truly fine event. Fedor's participation is most unexpected, but after being disqualified from participation in the top events for far too long, mixing it up in such a premier field will help him continue to regain the competitive pedigree we all know he possesses.

Good luck to all these fine players.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I promise to bring you all up to speed when I get there. I want to know the same things you do. The real tourney begins when it becomes SE! First prize could be as much as 1,000,000P, close to 20,000 US. A big payday over here.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone see the 'concession' fiasco at the end of her match?

I think it was handled the right way by the referee/tournament director. Even if concessions are not technically allowed, if the opposing player makes any clear indication that they're conceding, then the match should be over. A monetary fine might be appropriate to dissuade concessions.

Pretty poor form for Nguyen in pocketing the 9 ball after she missed it, which was after he attempted to concede. As the commentator said, the classy thing to do would have been to hit the CB straight into the corner pocket.
I agree- that was very poor sportsmanship on the part of Nguyen. He shouldn't have shot the 9 ball in and then even if he did impulsively, he should have immediately forfeited thereafter once he thought about it for a little while.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Fedor's participation is most unexpected
Got to know from him some details about how the event is run and managed. I wouldn't want to spoil the party, and won't elaborate, but that's a freakin disgrace. MR brand stamp over this is ridiculous. Well, just you wait - no wonder.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Once he concedes it's over. From there she can pull down her pants and pee on the table, It doesn't matter. Game set match.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I proceeded to Matchroom Pool website, with the hope to get the schedule/order of play. Zero info there. Given the caliber of participants (well, okay, divide by the organization level) that's is beyond understanding, why MR treats Sharks Open this way. I realize they pay attention to "blue ribbon" events which are listed on top of that very website, but I think you got what I'm driving to here.
Huh? This is not produced by Matchroom. It’s a third-party ranking event. There’s a schedule full of ranking events. Matchroom doesn’t present schedules/order of play for Turning Stone, Derby City, Bosnia Open, McDermott Classic, Mezz PRP Open, Bob Stocks Memorial, JFlowers Scottish Open, CB buck Markulis Open, Midwest Expo, etc. the fact that they’re broadcasting the stream additionally on their YouTube event is already showing they’re doing more for Sharks than for any other ranking event. And there’s good reason they only do that for Major and Blue Ribbon events. It’s because they produce those events firsthand. When someone else produces an event then the player list, stream, website, bracket, schedule, etc is the responsibility of that producer. The question is why isn’t Sharks doing a better job at making that info easily accessible if they want to play with the big boys and put on a ranking event.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I promise to bring you all up to speed when I get there. I want to know the same things you do. The real tourney begins when it becomes SE! First prize could be as much as 1,000,000P, close to 20,000 US. A big payday over here.

PayoutsPostedOnFace.jpg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think it was handled the right way by the referee/tournament director. Even if concessions are not technically allowed, if the opposing player makes any clear indication that they're conceding, then the match should be over. A monetary fine might be appropriate to dissuade concessions.

Pretty poor form for Nguyen in pocketing the 9 ball after she missed it, which was after he attempted to concede. As the commentator said, the classy thing to do would have been to hit the CB straight into the corner pocket.
I'm actually surprised he attempted to concede in the first place. Her CB was about on the rail. I wouldn't give Efren in his prime courtesy on that shot.

After the fact, it was a weird situation all around. If he tapped the CB to give her BIH and the win, that may technically be considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Because the act of tapping the CB to intentionally lose goes against the spririt of the game. Of course, two wrongs would make a right in this case, but the rule set might disagree.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Concession of a game should be a two-game penalty.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm actually surprised he attempted to concede in the first place. Her CB was about on the rail. I wouldn't give Efren in his prime courtesy on that shot.

After the fact, it was a weird situation all around. If he tapped the CB to give her BIH and the win, that may technically be considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Because the act of tapping the CB to intentionally lose goes against the spririt of the game. Of course, two wrongs would make a right in this case, but the rule set might disagree.
I think he was so distraught after the unlucky scratch he had that he was basically forfeiting out of depression/anger

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rubilen Amit fires the balls in and runs runs out the rack in 30 seconds, and they go to a 2 minute break. Breaks are between every rack like their other events. I'm out:)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got to know from him some details about how the event is run and managed. I wouldn't want to spoil the party, and won't elaborate, but that's a freakin disgrace. MR brand stamp over this is ridiculous. Well, just you wait - no wonder.

spill the beans already.

i know their business model is different from just about every other promoter on earth, so i'm expecting complications either way