• yes

Votes: 141 66.5%
  • no

Votes: 71 33.5%

• Total voters

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
While at one time I may have thought aiming systems were mumbo jumbo, I do at least admit there is something to them now.

That being said I don't want to read all these threads, heck I don't even want to see them.

If and when one day I decide I'd like to look into it a little more I'll go do the research. In the meantime and in between time please make them go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Yes, to stop the flamin'. :grin:

Actually, no.
If you put ALL aiming theory and systems into it's own section, then all the information will be in one spot.
If all the information is easily accessible in one spot, then you will effectively reduce the incidents of people innocently asking questions about aiming which typically becomes a redundant aiming groupie fest, and it will also become easier to identify the trolls who's sole intent is to pump up specific aiming systems, so that those who would sell aiming secrets can make more money.

It's the incessant posting of new aiming threads that gets kind of ridiculous.
Having an aiming forum would help to alleviate that.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, no.
If you put ALL aiming theory and systems into it's own section, then all the information will be in one spot.
If all the information is easily accessible in one spot, then you will effectively reduce the incidents of people innocently asking questions about aiming which typically becomes a redundant aiming groupie fest, and it will also become easier to identify the trolls who's sole intent is to pump up specific aiming systems, so that those who would sell aiming secrets can make more money.

It's the incessant posting of new aiming threads that gets kind of ridiculous.
Having an aiming forum would help to alleviate that.

Those are very good points. I voted yes.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
I voted yes, though I don't suppose it makes that much difference.

Except for this - there are a lot of good-to-great pool players out there who never visit AZB. If on their first visit they see a bunch of aiming system threads, they might just think we're a bunch of nuts and write us off. That, I think, would be the typical reaction of a strong player who has learned to aim through experience.

As for me, live and let live. But I do think these threads get a mite - oh, much more than a mite - overwrought, and don't really put AZB's best foot forward.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Stickies are for threads that every poster MUST read, such as rules and regulations. Perhaps the occasional thread about someone dying or a charity based event may merit exception.

99% of members already hate aiming threads. Why drive us all nuts by permanently making this the top thread? Is it really that important?

Besides, page real estate is all ready at a premium for users who have low-res monitors. One more sticky just makes things even more crowded. :frown:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Kind of funny that a lot of people seem to voting yes just to make aiming threads 'go away'. Personally I was glad to see JB start his own moderated forum on CTE. The threads almost always turn into arguments, so I can see the appeal of keeping the dicussion in its own sandbox.

Nonetheless I voted no, as I think the rash of CTE threads is a passing fad. It comes and goes in waves. You can easily go months with hardly a mention of it, and then there's a flurry of posts. Lol at the 2nd post in this thread: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=151865

Since the only aiming system people really talk about is CTE, making a new forum feels like giving CTE its own forum. Yeah, some other systems like 90/90 have gotten a thread or two lately, but it seems like those threads only exist specifically because of the CTE threads. I think Spidey even said 90/90 effectively is the same system.

So if you take out CTE and its derivatives, aiming systems are a two-posts-a-month topic. If you don't take out CTE it comes off like the mods are making a separate CTE forum, which almost sends a message like "we don't want this in the general forum, it stirs up the hornet's nest too much. So we'll put the rabble rousers in another room where they're safe from the general population and won't cause trouble".

----------------

It's healthy for aiming systems to be discussed openly. I think even JB (CTE's unofficial head cheerleader at the moment) has claimed that the adversity of dealing with the haterz has forced him to really learn the system and inspired him to dig into the guts of it.

In fact, I think that Geometry's post on 4-07-10 started the snowball that led directly to Stan making a definitive CTE video. Without that post and the threads that it spawned, we might not have seen that video until much later, if ever.

edit: PS to nathan - I think this is a sticky only temporarily while the mods get a feel for what people think on this. Basically they ignore 90% of the requests for subforums, but I guess every so often they see a request that makes sense. So maybe this is how they are gonna handle that in the future - a sticky that everyone can vote on. Once enough votes are in, they take it down. That's my guess.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted no. But, if the subform were expanded a bit, lets say "member submitted instruction" then it might make sense. One topic that could be part of the subforum is cue-table drills.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stickies are for threads that every poster MUST read, such as rules and regulations. Perhaps the occasional thread about someone dying or a charity based event may merit exception.

99% of members already hate aiming threads. Why drive us all nuts by permanently making this the top thread? Is it really that important?

Besides, page real estate is all ready at a premium for users who have low-res monitors. One more sticky just makes things even more crowded. :frown:

Couldn't have said it better myself. If the powers that be are actually considering consolidating all aiming posts into a new sub forum, and are thereby using this poll as a basis for that decision, then great. If not, it needs to end. Soon.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
We don't need no stinkin sub forum.
castillo12art6.jpeg

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We don't need no stinkin sub forum

Why not? Would it be so bad? Right now, there are 3 threads about CTE in the top five threads in the Main Forum, and five total CTE threads on the first page. That's just getting to be too much. So if there was a sub-forum, you'd have a one-stop shop for all things CTE, and the rest of us wouldn't have to sift through 200 aiming threads to read things that are actually interesting.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
And of course if things slow down, CTE-related, someone will start yet another thread about how it saved their pool playing life.