Shuff clearly not ready

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
From the article on AZB homepage:

"In the final match of the session, World 9 Ball Champion, Darren Appleton had a chance to make amends as he faced US debutante Brandon Shuff and he did just that winning 5-2 to leave the event poised at 3-2 to the Americans."

Who writes this stuff? Debutante? Why call out Shuff's manhood here?

debutante [ˈdɛbjʊˌtɑːnt -ˌtænt]
n
1. a young woman of upper-class background who is presented to society, usually at a formal ball
2. a girl or young woman regarded as being upper-class, wealthy, and of a frivolous or snobbish social set

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ didn't match up Shuff. Both captaibs hand in their order, blindly, at 6 the night befire according to a tweet i received from matchroom.

Shuff is fine he played one of the best.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the article on AZB homepage:

"In the final match of the session, World 9 Ball Champion, Darren Appleton had a chance to make amends as he faced US debutante Brandon Shuff and he did just that winning 5-2 to leave the event poised at 3-2 to the Americans."

n
1. a young woman of upper-class background who is presented to society, usually at a formal ball
2. a girl or young woman regarded as being upper-class, wealthy, and of a frivolous or snobbish social set

I agree -- that was a very poor choice of word. The writer was trying to flaunt vocabulary, but was clearly white-knuckled when flipping through their mental dictionary. Their plucking of so-phist-o-catered words out of thin air crashed and burned on this one.

-Sean

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
I agree -- that was a very poor choice of word. The writer was trying to flaunt vocabulary, but was clearly white-knuckled when flipping through their mental dictionary. Their plucking of so-phist-o-catered words out of thin air crashed and burned on this one.

-Sean

It is just a typo... I do not see bad intention here.

debutant
[deb-yoo-tahnt, -yuh-]

1. a person who makes a debut into a professional career or before the public.

2. a person who is making a first appearance in a particular capacity, such as a sportsperson playing in a first game for a team

Last edited:

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the writer think debutante means beginner :), is he french ? Actually debutant means beginner in french.
Btw, big fails for him and lack of respect for Shuff...

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I was able to watch a lot of yesterdays action but not all.

What I did see was some first day jitters on both sides and if I had to pick an MVP for Monday, it's definitely Niels.

What I saw from Brandon was some overhitting, running a little long on his position. This was very evident in his doubles match with Johnny and, thankfully, our sage veteran was able to keep getting the table back in line very nicely, including a 'had-to-make' cross side on an 8 ball that Brandon ran past.

IMO, this is classic play for a rookie on day one at the Mosconi Cup. I fully expect we are gonna see his play smooth out very nicely in the next days.

For me, it's fun to be able to watch along as our elite young players, like Brandon & Mike, become battle-hardened in this unique environment. These guys are the future of our sport and I hope we'll be seeing them in many MC's to come. :thumbup:

Go USA ! ! !

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
"clearly" is a pretty harsh assessment. The only thing that is pretty clear is that Shuff earned his right to be on the Mosconi cup this year.

I think the OP would make the worst type of backer ever. The second his horse gets down it would be time to put the bolt gun into his head or start talking about how he was getting dumped.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I never said Daz is huge favorite, I said "slight favorite". If you say something, assume it. Or you consider 45-55 means huge favorite lol.

People love to exaggerate... they always act like whichever pro they favor will just "destroy" another pro. Truly though these guys are like 1-5% difference from each other... and that number changes based on their mood, the table, the rules, etc.

Darren vs. Shane, playing 9b or 10b, is a complete coin flip in a race to 5, 7, maybe even 11. That includes winner breaks 10b. Darren has won a world 10b title, shane was in the same tournament and so were ralf, mika, etc.

Didn't catch shuff's performance but I find you can't judge anyone based on seeing them play just a few times, in unfamiliar territory.

n

It's a common error, they were looking for:

debutant [ˈdɛbjʊˌtɑːnt -ˌtænt]
n
a person who is making a first appearance in a particular capacity, such as a sportsperson playing in a first game for a team

...a lot of people reflexively put the "e" at the end, some don't realize there are 2 different words and think debutante means all of the above.

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
It's a common error, they were looking for:

debutant [ˈdɛbjʊˌtɑːnt -ˌtænt]
n
a person who is making a first appearance in a particular capacity, such as a sportsperson playing in a first game for a team

...a lot of people reflexively put the "e" at the end, some don't realize there are 2 different words and think debutante means all of the above.

Where is JAM when we need her :D

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is just a typo... I do not see bad intention here.

debutant
[deb-yoo-tahnt, -yuh-]

1. a person who makes a debut into a professional career or before the public.

2. a person who is making a first appearance in a particular capacity, such as a sportsperson playing in a first game for a team

I didn't say it was bad intention; I said it was a poor choice of word. In the publishing industry (which I have a bit of experience with), one has to be VERY careful in the decision to use words where a "common typo" may be likely, or may even creep in during the editing/publishing process itself. In this case, making the mistake of "debutante" vs "debutant" is just that kind of mistake. Those not familiar with this type of mistake may think it's just "a simple typo, what's the big deal?" But this one is of the magnitude that makes "top ten writing faux pas" types of lists.

-Sean

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
I didn't say it was bad intention; I said it was a poor choice of word. In the publishing industry (which I have a bit of experience with), one has to be VERY careful in the decision to use words where a "common typo" may be likely, or may even creep in during the editing/publishing process itself. In this case, making the mistake of "debutante" vs "debutant" is just that kind of mistake. Those not familiar with this type of mistake may think it's just "a simple typo, what's the big deal?" But this one is of the magnitude that makes "top ten writing faux pas" types of lists.

-Sean

It's difficult for me, as English is not my language, to understand that kind of nuance. Now, I perfectly get what you meant!

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats what I thought lol. I like Brandon but the poster that said "Nobody can beat Shuff in a race" must be his mom or something because nobody can be that stupid to sat that about any player to be honest.

Who said no one can beat Shuff? I said no one has to beat Shuff in a short race.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Archer
SVB
Earl
Hatch
Dechaine
Rodney Morris
Donnie Mills
Corey Deul
John Scmidt
Shawn Putnam
Danny Harriman
Shannon Dalton
John Pinegar
Jermey Jones

This was just a quick thought.

The only ones on that list I could agree with as a favorite over Shuff are SVB and Johnny Archer. All the rest would have Shuff as the favorite.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could not agree more SJM.

Just because Shuff is human and he may have showed a little nerves, the man is ready. He's a fantastic player and he earned his right to represent USA.

Give the guy a break and how about we support him rather than tear him down. He may read these forums while he'e there. I see no need to tear him down when he's in the heat of the battle playing for USA.

I say go Brandon, many of us have faith in you and wish you nothing but the best. Your A game is good enough to beat anyone, you've proven that!

I think Shuff is more excited to be representing the USA than nervous. I liked his demenor in his interview. I think Mike is going to settle down and do well today also...GO USA!!!!!

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
The only ones on that list I could agree with as a favorite over Shuff are SVB and Johnny Archer. All the rest would have Shuff as the favorite.

I have a ton of respect for Brandon's game, and I know he is your boy from VA, but do you really think he's the fav over Earl?!?! :eek: You know...5 time US Open Champion EARL "The Beekeeper" Stickland!

Last edited: