Shuff clearly not ready

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Apologies, Fred, but I disagree. In the "blonde/blond" and "fiancée/fiancé" word pairs, the "ending 'e'" spelling of the word means exactly the same thing as its non-"e" counterpart. One is just a mere misspelling of the other.

In "debutant/debutante," however, you have not only two words which mean completely different things, but words that actually switch gender as well. This pairing of commonly-confused words is often included in writing courses as one of those in particular to watch out for, because the wrong usage definitely DOES change the meaning of what you're trying to say.

I agree, the writer could've said "newbie" or "rookie" instead. The problem is that those words are "all too common," and the writer was going for impact -- in an obviously white-knuckled way. ;)

-Sean
So.... you think this is a major snafu? In a JAM sort of way? Or should someone get fired over this?

I'm thinking it's pretty minor. Maybe I don't understand what exactly you're disagreeing with. I would think the gender change would be much more "major" than the "use this word and it changes the whole meaning" error.

I'll go with "it's minor" and then we can have beers not discussing it.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
So.... you think this is a major snafu? In a JAM sort of way? Or should someone get fired over this?

I'm thinking it's pretty minor. Maybe I don't understand what exactly you're disagreeing with. I would think the gender change would be much more "major" than the "use this word and it changes the whole meaning" error.

I'll go with "it's minor" and then we can have beers not discussing it.

Major snafu -- where someone should get fired over this? No, silly. Correct the article, and not leave it flapping in the wind like that, especially since this is supposed to be PR with an editorial staff supposedly behind it? Absolutely.

And it was the gender change that I thought was the major thing -- hence the way I worded the "not only... but switched genders as well" thing.

Anyway, 'twas just agreeing with the poster that noticed this. No need for discussion.

-Sean <-- a pitcher right now sounds like a great idea!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Major snafu

Anyway, 'twas just agreeing with the poster that noticed this. No need for discussion.

I think the discussion will make the powers-that-be correct the article.

Freddie <~~~ when someone writes in a non-editable monthly that so-and-so's son is an only child and there's a daughter out there, that's major

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
Think about what you are saying. Did you even watch any of the matches? Its clear that you are just in the bag for Mr Shuff. Thats fine to be in support of a friend or a player that you like but I think you also have to be realistic and look at both sides. Do you think he played well?? Oh and comparing Shane's record in the mosconi Cup agains Brandon's is retarded.

Clearly I watched all of yesterday's matches or I wouldn't know that they had a 40% BNR when he played in the match with Johnny. Game 1 and on the hill. He's not even a personal friend of mine. Just because I live in the same state as him, doesn't mean I know him at all.

And yes I'm being realistic, how is it retarded for me to compare Brandon's record against Shane's? It just shows that pressure can do things to what you say "higher" tier pros just as much as it does to new comers.

I'm not gonna say he didn't play well. He lost to the #1 player in the World...is that not supposed to happen?

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Clearly I watched all of yesterday's matches or I wouldn't know that they had a 40% BNR when he played in the match with Johnny. Game 1 and on the hill. He's not even a personal friend of mine. Just because I live in the same state as him, doesn't mean I know him at all.

And yes I'm being realistic, how is it retarded for me to compare Brandon's record against Shane's? It just shows that pressure can do things to what you say "higher" tier pros just as much as it does to new comers.

I'm not gonna say he didn't play well. He lost to the #1 player in the World...is that not supposed to happen?

I said the same thing in a similar thread but I was angry. There's no shame losing to Daz at all. You get JA and SVB as the leaders. Outside of that Shuff plays just as good as the rest of them, he belongs where he is.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both of our young players (Shuff & Dechaine) had a couple of rough moments on Day 1. The veterans did a great job of stepping up and helping them out. Johnny using his years of Mosconi Cup experience helped Brandon out a lot.
For crying out loud, this is DAY ONE!!! Relax! Brandon will be just fine. He is a champion and has more heart than most of the people trashing him all added together. You don't get this kind of experience anywhere else but the Mosconi Cup.
I feel a lot better about our chances of upsetting the Euros with Brandon on the team, than I would with a head case like Earl.

Do the ones trashing him play pool? Keyboard package runners I guess!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The bottom line is if those other guys are the mac, why didn't they qualify and get Shuff's spot? I've watching Shuff play a number of times and the guy plays fuggin' really good. Good enough to beat anyone in any given race, regardless of their size, race, creed or origin. Not kissing his ass, I'm just saying you guys are way outta line saying he's an empty chair.

So he played bad a few matches--- it's his first time on the Mosconi Cup and they lights are making him play a little funny. I think 100% of the posters in this thread wouldn't make the team let alone have an opportunity to dog it.

Everyone who knocked this guy in this thread would prob get spotted the world by Shuff -- it's insane.

100% Agree. The way to get on the Mosconi Cup team is well known. You can either get there by EARNING a spot or you can there by being invited. Obviously any player that EARNED it deserves to be there.

Whether they play well or not at the Cup they definitely did what it took to get the spot on the team.

And seriously? Short race team format, openly hostile crowd, adrenaline and testosterone coursing through their blood, playing for your country - could it be any more pressure?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Clearly I watched all of yesterday's matches or I wouldn't know that they had a 40% BNR when he played in the match with Johnny. Game 1 and on the hill. ...

Actually, Brandon and Johnny had 3 B&R's out of 5 breaks in that match (60%) -- Games 1, 7, and 9.

JC

Coos Cues
He damn near missed that straight in hill hill 9 ball Archer left him. Missed the pocket entirely and hit it too hard and it could have easily hung or spit out. He's gonna be just fine going forward though. He looked like he was a bit nervous but that's done too. Initiation is over and tomorrow is a new day. Go USA!!

JC

DrOnePocket

Banned
This isn't to just slam Brandon, I think we can only inagine the pressure out there and we all know he is a talented player. He just was thrown to the lions a little here with this enviroment at York Hall. He has won some tounaments but nothing really big in front of the cameras with an audience like this. Again this is very hard but he needs some more experience and maybe he will get it here with the Mosconi Cup but this is or should not be on the job training. He got VERY lucky in his team match as he had left it wide open and then Johnny Archer had to save him in the doubles match and then obviously outclassed in the singles against Appleton. Hopefully he can get his self together for the next 3 days and perform like we know he can. The exposure that Bigtruck gives him only because they are friends and that isn't the type of exposure that would get him ready for this. Before someone says he is already used to the cameras. GO Team USA

I was surprised he was chosen in the first place. There are other US born players that perform very well under pressure. It was hard to watch.......

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Niels Feijen!

I think i know Feijen extremly good- and i am one oft he biggest fans of Niels and his game. In my opinion the perfect example of a real professional. But if we are really serious, then also Niels struggled in his first strokes. 
Later he came up strong-as usual. Mosconi brings always the best out of Niels.

Kind regards,

Ingo

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
And seriously? Short race team format, openly hostile crowd, adrenaline and testosterone coursing through their blood, playing for your country - could it be any more pressure?

Not to mention the loud-ass 30 second clock goin' off all the time! Ugh!!!

Maniac (Shuff's gonna be fine)

DrOnePocket

Banned
The only ones on that list I could agree with as a favorite over Shuff are SVB and Johnny Archer. All the rest would have Shuff as the favorite.

I can't believe anyone in the world but Brandon's mother could make the above statement. Do you follow pool at all?

sylo

Banned
They both kept giving each other not so easy shots, they need better cue ball control to run racks.