Sigel and $$

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was witness to the prime of Mike's career and he truly was one of the all time greats of the game. He was proficient in all pool games! 9-Ball, One Pocket, 14.1, Bank Pool, Eight Ball, like I said, in ALL games he was a championship level player.

I found Mike quite entertaining to watch as well, with his constant chatter to his designated "yes" man and all his theatrics while he was playing. He really liked to play it up to the hilt when he had a very difficult shot, and had you thinking he shouldn't go for it, and then he fired it in and got position, wiping his brow and faking a little faint afterward. Yes he was a dandy all right.

Sure he had a big ego, but he earned it by being the best player in the room. Mike did like to talk about himself but he was nothing like Mosconi with all his *****ing and complaining. Big difference in personality between these two.

Mike, along with Earl, Buddy and Nick were the top dogs in a golden era of professional pool. We had a about ten to twelve years from the early 80's to the mid 90's when there were at least a dozen great tournaments each year, that featured all the top players. The money was nearly as good as the money in the biggest events (other than Chinese Eight Ball) being held today and 25K then was worth more like 50K in today's dollars.

Yes we have many great young players today, some of them perhaps even better than Mike and his contemporaries, but the excitement level is just not the same. The matches back then were dog fights and emotions often flared. The players were not all buddy-buddy, with some serious rivalries. Everyone wanted to beat Earl and Earl wanted to drown them all.

Don't get me wrong, I still like to watch great pool, but that era was a damn good one to be part of.

To close, I never really had any problem with Mike. He was a competitor first and a true sportsman second. I never saw him try to shark anyone or belittle them during a match. He had a sharp tongue but his words were usually spoken in jest and his opponents would laugh along with the audience. How he interacted with fans between matches may be another thing which I can't really say much about, other than I do know he was focused on winning the tournament and not standing around making conversation with people. Mike had a definite plan for how he would prepare for each match and spending time chatting wasn't part of it.

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
The pre break wiggle, stick bend, and rock squat are just magical to watch, especially in person.

I was witness to the prime of Mike's career and he truly was one of the all time greats of the game. He was proficient in all pool games! 9-Ball, One Pocket, 14.1, Bank Pool, Eight Ball, like I said, in ALL games he was a championship level player.

I found Mike quite entertaining to watch as well, with his constant chatter to his designated "yes" man and all his theatrics while he was playing. He really liked to play it up to the hilt when he had a very difficult shot, and had you thinking he shouldn't go for it, and then he fired it in and got position, wiping his brow and faking a little faint afterward. Yes he was a dandy all right.

Sure he had a big ego, but he earned it by being the best player in the room. Mike did like to talk about himself but he was nothing like Mosconi with all his *****ing and complaining. Big difference in personality between these two.

Mike, along with Earl, Buddy and Nick were the top dogs in a golden era of professional pool. We had a about ten to twelve years from the early 80's to the mid 90's when there were at least a dozen great tournaments each year, that featured all the top players. The money was nearly as good as the money in the biggest events (other than Chinese Eight Ball) being held today and 25K then was worth more like 50K in today's dollars.

Yes we have many great young players today, some of them perhaps even better than Mike and his contemporaries, but the excitement level is just not the same. The matches back then were dog fights and emotions often flared. The players were not all buddy-buddy, with some serious rivalries. Everyone wanted to beat Earl and Earl wanted to drown them all.

Don't get me wrong, I still like to watch great pool, but that era was a damn good one to be part of.

To close, I never really had any problem with Mike. He was a competitor first and a true sportsman second. I never saw him try to shark anyone or belittle them during a match. He had a sharp tongue but his words were usually spoken in jest and his opponents would laugh along with the audience. How he interacted with fans between matches may be another thing which I can't really say much about, other than I do know he was focused on winning the tournament and not standing around making conversation with people. Mike had a definite plan for how he would prepare for each match and spending time chatting wasn't part of it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
How he interacted with fans between matches may be another thing which I can't really say much about, other than I do know he was focused on winning the tournament and not standing around making conversation with people.

Here I must vouch for Mike. He was often willing to chat (not socially, but about his match) with this fan after one of his matches. That said, this fan knew better than to approach Mike after a match he'd lost.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alstl...Not sure where you're getting your information, but Mike Sigel is a broke ass poolplayer...with no real assets. He has been living on the generosity of some room owners for the past several years...a lot like Fats at the end of his career.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Mike seems to have held onto his money better than a lot of players.

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl Strickland has said the same.
Totally agree with Stu. People who did not see him play in his prime forget how great and dominant a player he was. I was lucky enough to see him in '92 at the Roosevelt and he was mesmerizing and dominant. After that I was a Capt Hook fan for life and always watched his matches if I attended a tournament.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Totally agree with Stu. People who did not see him play in his prime forget how great and dominant a player he was. I was lucky enough to see him in '92 at the Roosevelt and he was mesmerizing and dominant. After that I was a Capt Hook fan for life and always watched his matches if I attended a tournament.

He quit while he was still on top in about 1994 or '95.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every pool player I have ever met that actually met said Willie Mosconi was an a$$hole. He may of been one of the greatest of all time, but the first thing I always hear about him was he was an a$$hole.

No doubt Siegal was a great player, I only met him two times looking at his POS cues. He was an a$$hole, and anyone that was foolish enough to actually buy any of his cues has taken a bath on them.

I look at Johnny Archer, Ewa, Varner and many others that actually promote the sport and IMO are worthy of praise and were great champions.

Ken

You managed to trash two of our notable ambassadors of our sport in one post. Regrettably, you met Sigel twice and everyone you have ever met thinks disparagingly of Mosconi. As a contrast to this inappropriate post, I will give give another perspective. I have known and played Sigel a number of times (70s) and watched and spoke with Mosconi in the 70s nd early 80s. I resist defining a person by an impression, social demeanor, or rumor.

Who would ever want their life defined by one low moment. I look beyond that. I am very sure Sigel's sincere lifelong devotion to our sport has always been his primary motive. Above all else, Mosconi was an honest and devout family man. These Icons get my respect.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You managed to trash two of our notable ambassadors of our sport in one post. Regrettably, you met Sigel twice and everyone you have ever met thinks disparagingly of Mosconi. As a contrast to this inappropriate post, I will give give another perspective. I have known and played Sigel a number of times (70s) and watched and spoke with Mosconi in the 70s nd early 80s. I resist defining a person by an impression, social demeanor, or rumor.

Who would ever want their life defined by one low moment. I look beyond that. I am very sure Sigel's sincere lifelong devotion to our sport has always been his primary motive. Above all else, Mosconi was an honest and devout family man. These Icons get my respect.

Well I guess I should have said it as it was told to me.

Any POOL PLAYER that EVER met Mosconi thought he was an a$$hole.

Apparently you aren't a pool player.

Sigel was an amazing talent, but he is an a$$.

Ken

MoonshineMattK

Silver Member
Well I guess I should have said it as it was told to me.

Any POOL PLAYER that EVER met Mosconi thought he was an a$$hole.

Apparently you aren't a pool player.

Sigel was an amazing talent, but he is an a$$.

Ken

How does this help anything? What are you attempting to accomplish? I don't understand.

Also, people who are driven enough to achieve the extreme level of skill Mosconi and Sigel did usually have an extreme personalty to go along with it. From what I've experienced it takes an extreme personality to excel at the highest level.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
It's what he does, gets old, but hey.

How does this help anything? What are you attempting to accomplish? I don't understand.

Also, people who are driven enough to achieve the extreme level of skill Mosconi and Sigel did usually have an extreme personalty to go along with it. From what I've experienced it takes an extreme personality to excel at the highest level.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alstl...Not sure where you're getting your information, but Mike Sigel is a broke ass poolplayer...with no real assets. He has been living on the generosity of some room owners for the past several years...a lot like Fats at the end of his career.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
It seems like a lot of players end up broke. Is the #1 cause of this gambling?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
$630,000 at that time plus he paid me back my original $50,000.

Not the first but....Earl should have got a million for one set.

Earl did win a Million Dollar Annuity which was supposed to be $50,000 a year for 20 years.

We had a legal dispute, so I payed Earl the first $50,000 and went on the hook for the other 19 years, fortunately after nearly 3 years we won and Earl was awarded his money.

He did accept cash, which, for a million dollar annuity was $630,000 at that time plus he paid me back my original $50,000.

The entire story is on a documentary that has him telling the story along with Jay Helfert who was the Lead Tournament Director, Max Eberle who finished 4th and several other eye witnesses to what is the greatest payday in the history of pool!

See the documentary on my private membership site at www.masteringpocketbilliards.com

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After Earl played Mike in the challenge match a year or two ago...I told earl.
(Who won btw)

(Jokingly)
"You played pretty good...
and for once in a long time you weren't considered the biggest Asshole at the tournament!!"
He laughed.....he gets it.

I personally like both guys but they have had somewhat of a bad attitude stigma attached to them.
Both really are ok guys..
Unless you have too play them.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay would know how Mike got his Captain Hook moniker (and it’s not because he had more than a fair share of good rolls) and why he had difficulty finding a backer when still in his prime. I know this info second or even third hand so would be keen to get it confirmed/denied by someone who was around him way back when

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigel was one of the greatest players to live. But unaware of any philanthropic efforts by him to 'further pool'. IMHO, his fast talk conned Trudeau (who was a better con but ignorant about the Pool World) into the IPT thing where Sigel was an immediate lock for 180K, 150 vs Loree Jon Jones and another 30k for being a hall of famer.

Im a little tired of the accolades for people who may have furthered pool a bit but whose primary motive was to make money for themselves. Nothing wrong with that but i just dont see them as heroes of the sport. Is Don King a hero for what he has done for boxing? JMHO and maybe im missing something Sigel did.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay would know how Mike got his Captain Hook moniker (and it’s not because he had more than a fair share of good rolls) and why he had difficulty finding a backer when still in his prime. I know this info second or even third hand so would be keen to get it confirmed/denied by someone who was around him way back when

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure there was ever official verification, but i heard among other things, it was how he bent his stick into a near hook when he broke.