Sloppy and incompetent work by Jim Pierce, poor customer service

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To whom it may concern....

Well I made the mistake of sending a beautiful Mike Wheeler cue to Jim Pierce to have a new shaft made and a refinish to the cue. What should have been a relatively easy task for a competent cue maker turned into a damaged cue for me. This all started almost 4 months ago when I sent the cue to Jim and he promised a 2 to 3 week tournaround. Well, the cue was finally finished approx. 3 and half months later. In the meantime, I was patient up until the time that Jim Pierce said the cue was done and would be shipped on a Monday. No cue. I then emailed and called him repeatedly over period of two weeks with no response. He finally responded by email and sent my cue back three weeks later. Here is were the problems really begins....

The overall work that Jim Pierce performed on this cue was shoddy and incompetent. In fact, it was a "real hack job" in the words of a friend of mine. The problems and issues with the cue were numerous, with some more severe than others. I consider the cue profoundly damaged which has affected it's value greatly. Needless to say, I am a very disatisfied customer, and sick that a cue that I have $1,375 invested in was returned to me in this condition.

The following lists the problems and issues I found with the cue when it was returned to me:

-Jim Pierce cut approx. 2.5 centimeters (Meant to say 2.5 millimeters) into a phenalic ring in the butt sleeve, therebye cutting the ring in half. This botch was not necessary. There was no need to extend the wrap area. He was careless and sloppy. This affects the symmetry and appearance of the cue.

-The edge of the butt sleeve where the wrap ends is "raw" and sharp and is no longer flush with the wrap. You can feel it with your hands as it is an uncomfortable sharp edge. Jim Pierce cut the wrap pocket too deep (of course there was no reason to deepen the pocket at all).

-The new finish is lifting along this ring at the bottom of the wrap.

-The forearm of the cue now "dishes" (dips in) directly below the joint. It appears that sanding of the forearm would case this loss of wood. Jim Pierce denies doing this, but there is now daylight under the joint, where there was none before. Mike Wheeler adamately denies that the cue would have left his shop like this.

-Two new ferrules were replaced on the existing shafts....these ferrules arrived with pits and gouges in them.

-The new shaft that he made for the cue was larger in diameter at the joint area than butt collar. Again, sloppy, careless work.

-The new shaft "fits" on losely on the pin until the final turn. Again, sloppy.

In conclusion, my dealings with Jim Pierce were terrible. The customer service, if you can call it that, was almost non-existent. There was very little communication and when these issues were brought to his attention he virtually denied any wrongdoing (despite the fact that I have before and after photo's). Jim Pierce's workmanship was sloppy and careless, as evidenced by the outcome of my cue.

Update: Jim Pierce had promised to send me a check to help with some of the damage that he did to this cue. As expected, the check never arrived. You can't believe a word that this guy says. I truly hope that others don't get screwed over like I did.

Pictures to follow.....
First picture is before I sent the cue to Jim Pierce. Note the original ring diameter
The 2nd picture is the cue butt after I got it back from Pierce. Note the ring cut in half.
3rd picture show the proper width of the ring below the one cut in half.
4th photo shows the "daylight" under the joint where there is missing wood.

My two cents.

Attachments

• car-cues%20013[1].jpg
    car-cues%20013[1].jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7,340
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 7,197
  • Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 7,217
  • Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 7,269
Last edited:

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
wtf

wow that sucks, i sure hope he has the intention of making things right. otherwise off to small claims i guess.

i hope things work out better for you.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow that sucks, i sure hope he has the intention of making things right. otherwise off to small claims i guess.

i hope things work out better for you.

Thanks. Jim Pierce offered to pay Mike Wheeler to repair the butt sleeve/ring issue. However, Jim also wanted me to pay him for his "botched" work. The problem with this of course, is there is no solution for the forearm issue.

Jim Pierce is now starting to deny that he caused any of these issues at all. I, of course, have pictures and emails that show everything.

It's not worth time and energy across state lines to do small claims court, or you can bet I'd have him in there. I'm just chaulking it up to a bad experiance that cost me money. I hope that others can learn from this and make there own informed discisions as to whether to deal with this guy or not.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
At the risk of cracking open a can of worms....can I ask why you didn't have Mike Wheeler do the work?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the risk of cracking open a can of worms....can I ask why you didn't have Mike Wheeler do the work?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Excellent question.

I had heard news that Mike was no longer making cues or he did not have a shop at the time. Plus, I wanted to see what all the whoopla was about Jim Pierce's bowling alley shafts. Also, I did not think that a refinish was difficult for a competent cuemaker, but rather routine.

barryc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pierce Cue

Given you pictures and comments I don't blame you for being irate. Paying a cue maker for poor work (and poor service) so he can pay another cue maker to fix the poor work he did doesn't quite make sense! I'm always looking for good cue makers and have done business with several. Only one ever came close to this and that wasn't even so bad. All the others would stand behind their work no matter what. One more potential cue maker off my future cue maker list. It's too easy to do business with those who are more responsive and solid craftsman.

barryc

ARROWCRUSHER

N/ CUE STROKER
Silver Member
Posted my same thoughts on your other thread...but its my experience with Jim..

Sorry about your experience but all I can tell you is ,,Jim went above and beyond for me. If something didnt work out he took care of it just like that. And I have two bowling alley shafts and mine are straight as can be not taper roll ,,nothing that I even notice on my lathe. And his finish work was like glass... I just dont know what else to say besides did you try to get ahold of him privately before comeing out like this ? Not that its any of my buisness and you dont have to answer that so I appologize for even saying that because I would be pissed to if I would get something bad back.. But I do know he was sick for a while and stuck in the hospital. I hope maybe he didnt trust someone else maybe to help him out in the shop while he was laid up...But I would try to find out it just doesnt sound like any of my experiences with Jim Pierce. Once again Im sorry to hear this....<< ED

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had heard good reviews of Jim's work, which is why I sent him the cue. The finish is like glass, but unfortunately, he botched the wrap grove. As far as trying to communicate with him....I tried repeatedly with Jim to find a resolution to this delemma. At first he sounded generally upset that he caused the damage. Then gradually started to intimate that he did no damage at all.

His last offer was to pay Wheeler to try and fix his mistakes...and I would pay him (Jim) for his "work". This offer was rejected by me because it does not correct the forearm issue, which Wheeler assures me was not present when it was sent to Jim. On top of that Wheeler told me that he may not have the necessary inlay materal to recreate the butt sleeve. Being particular about my cue, I know for a fact that it rolled "dead straight" with no light visable under the joint prior to sending it to Jim. While I was amenable to some "other" type of resolution, Jim stopped all communication with me despite my attempts to have this rectified. I've left numerous email and voice mails with nary a response.

Sorry about your experience but all I can tell you is ,,Jim went above and beyond for me. If something didnt work out he took care of it just like that. And I have two bowling alley shafts and mine are straight as can be not taper roll ,,nothing that I even notice on my lathe. And his finish work was like glass... I just dont know what else to say besides did you try to get ahold of him privately before comeing out like this ? Not that its any of my buisness and yiu dont have to answer that so I appologize for even saying that because I would be pissed to if I would get something bad back.. But I do know he was sick for a while and stuck in the hospital. I hope maybe he didnt trust someone else maybe to help him out in the shop while he was laid up...But I would try to find out it just doesnt sound like any of my experiences with Jim Pierce. Once again Im sorry to hear this....<< ED

Last edited:

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given you pictures and comments I don't blame you for being irate. Paying a cue maker for poor work (and poor service) so he can pay another cue maker to fix the poor work he did doesn't quite make sense! I'm always looking for good cue makers and have done business with several. Only one ever came close to this and that wasn't even so bad. All the others would stand behind their work no matter what. One more potential cue maker off my future cue maker list. It's too easy to do business with those who are more responsive and solid craftsman.

barryc

That pretty much sums up how I feel.

Jim Pierce proudly announced to me how he had insurance that would cover any possiblity of damage that he might do to a cue....I wonder where that insurance is now?

Anway, I'm off for the night, I'll take up the load tomorro.......

Last edited:

Piercecustmcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doug/Salamander,

The turnaround time for the work on your cue was definitely not a fast as you, or I, would have hoped for.

I received some mixed messages from you during the course of our communication. On one hand, you told me not to stress too much over the turnaround time for the work on your cue. On the other hand, I received plenty of other messages from you constantly checking on the progress being made on your cue.

As many of you are aware, I have had some health issues which put me behind in my work and I have been struggling to get and stay healthy while still getting work done in a timely manner.

Addressing the work...

When you sent me this cue, you told me you didn't like the way the cue played and wanted one of my bowling alley shafts. Additionally, you characterized the Mike Wheeler shafts taper as being "wavy and inconsistent", saying they "hit poorly", and asked me to retaper them with my own taper as well as change the ferrules.

I noticed in the Cue Review section you posted some negative opinions about the quality of my shafts and how my taper plays.

Jose Parica, Rodney Morris, and Amar Kang play with my cues and are all very happy with the quality, playability, and shaft taper. But what do they know?

Originally, you told me that my wrap job was one of the best you had ever seen.

But my question is how long were your "before" pictures (showing the ring) actually taken prior to you sending me the cue. I ask this because there were 4 other holes in the wrap channel for the Linen. In other words, this cue has been worked on at least 4 other times before you sent it to me.

I cannot tell you with 100% certainty that I did not touch the ring. However, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the area near the joint I did NOT touch.

Again, the 4 other holes in the wrap area tell me that this cue has been worked on several times before me.

Customer Service...

To this date you have sent me absolutely ZERO dollars for working on your cue. I did not, and have not, taken any money up front for the repair work done on your cue. I guess when talking about my "customer service" you forgot to mention the part where I said you could pay me for the repair work after you had the cue back in your hands.

I have offered to make things right multiple times.

I offered for you to send the cue (and the money you were supposed to have paid me for the work) to Mike Wheeler, and I would send additional money to cover the difference.

You refused, insisting that you would take nothing less than your original purchase price of the cue, $1375.

I have built over 500 cues and done repair and refinish work on all sorts of custom cues, including Southwest, Josswest, Szamboti and many others. I am a fan of Mike Wheeler's cues and took the utmost care when doing the work on your cue. However, I am shocked and saddened at the way things have turned out.

At this point, the impression you are giving me is that you were looking for me to "buy" a cue that you were unhappy with in the first place.

Jim Pierce

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who did your table work?

To whom it may concern....

Well I made the mistake of sending a beautiful Mike Wheeler cue to Jim Pierce to have a new shaft made and a refinish to the cue.

That cue looks to have quite a hook in it in that image. That wouldn't bother me nearly as bad as that table cushion and I assume rail in the background though. I've played putt putt golf on more level surfaces!!

Photographs are wunnerful things, people believe what they see.

Hu

SOULHASSORROW

MoreTROLLSonAZthanWarcrft
Silver Member
Any before pics of the cue, how do we know the cue didn't have a lift by the joint before you sent it off to Jim?? Jim didn't even take a down payment for the work, how many cuemakers would do that, not too many. I wanna see how many people pop up and say they've had bad dealings with Jim on this thread, probably gonna be ZERO. I saw this cue right before it left Jim's shop and the finish was great. Jim offered to make things right but you want the $1375? There's alot of shady cuemakers out there, but Jim isn't one of them. Just my opinion.

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
I placed an order from Jim a few months ago and his quality of work, customer service and communication was top notch. Good enough that I ordered again and have a cue on the way to me right now.

Jonathan

schmizz

Mr. Nice Guy
Silver Member
I have only heard good things about Jim's work and one of his cues is still on my most wanted list. I think the trash talk should stop now, take the free work he did for you and pay Wheeler to repair the cue the way you want it. Enuff' Said. :boring2:

There are two sides on every coin.

Last edited:

actioncentral

Have cue. Will travel.
Silver Member
Pierce

Jim has refinished several cues for me and every one of them has been excellent. He always went above and beyond.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
a beef with jim pierce

over a cue that you didnt like the way it shot to begin with.
the cue is screwed. you are p-ss because the cue has been a total loss.
i would be up set too.
but your not doing yourself any favors.

the best thing that can happen is to figure out that no one is perfect
not you not jim and not me.

you guys need a mediator........
i think this can be worked out in time. if so it would say a lot about both of you guys charater in a possitive manner...............................

i dont know jim pierce but i do think he put his heart into his cues.

you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
MMike

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Excellent question.

I had heard news that Mike was no longer making cues or he did not have a shop at the time.

THEN

Thanks. Jim Pierce offered to pay Mike Wheeler to repair the butt sleeve/ring issue.

You just heard that Mike was no longer working on cues but you didn't bother to find out?

Jims post sounds quite plausible.

Hmmm, Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, me thinks.

Not happy with the cue and trying to make another cue maker pay the price, perhaps?

Lets see how this one unfolds shall we.

hitnrun

hitnrun
Silver Member
Reputable!!! cue maker Jim Pierce!!! Nothing but the best

I ordered a custom cue from Jim a few months ago and his quality of work, customer service and communication was superb .Kept me up to date on progress , pics ,email , text and calls thru the entire progress! Then even after I received my cue , he did not forget he sent me a well wish on New Years ! He asked if I was satisfied and wanted to change anything about the cue? My response heck no I love it !!!!
Not sure what happened in your case , but one thing I know about Jim he is a stand up guy and a reputable cue maker !

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
This is just my 2 cents in the matter. It seems that you cannot say that forearm roll was there before Jim got it or not, did you send the cue to Jim or did Mike? I do not see someone refinishing your cue leaving that kind of lift, its pretty severe so perhaps it was warped already. Usually most cuemakers I believe check the butt and shafts to see if all is well before moving forward with working on it.

I am curious if Jim did a check before working on the cue and you cannot say whether it was like that before hand or not, you keep saying Mike says it was not like that. As for Jim, I have heard nothing but great things and his work looks great, I will do business with him. Jim check your PMs, I sent one recently for a bowling alley shaft blank. Thanks.