Smorgass Bored Update

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Doug inspired us all in many ways, and we all wish him well. In deference to Doug and everything he embodied here on AZ, I am retiring from giving and caring about rep. Long live the King.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
hangemhigh said:
Doug inspired us all in many ways, and we all wish him well. In deference to Doug and everything he embodied here on AZ, I am retiring from giving and caring about rep. Long live the King.

In deference to Doug I will continue to rep him and any good posts that I come across. ;)

Ray

JesPiddlin

Designed by Mother Nature
Silver Member
I am a total woos. Smorg has a special place in my heart and it's been really hard for me to read this thread. I've had to quit reading it more than once.

Doug reminds me a lot of my dad, even though I've never met him. His outlook on things has always been similar. And, when I was having trouble recuperating from heart attacks and cancer, he was there to make me smile and keep me laughing. I wish I could give him back as much joy and life as he has given me.

The best thing I can do is pray and I've been praying... for Doug, for his family, and for the forum family, because we all need the prayers to deal with this thing, too.

And, thanks to you, JoeyA and to all others who have occasionally kept us up to snuff with Doug.

God bless you, Doug.

JesPiddlin

Silver Member
This is probably my favorite post from Smorgie. It made me laugh AND cry. A wonderful story that clearly displays his personality... his zest for life and love. JoeyA, would you please tell him to remember his mother's creature story and that this post helped me when I was feeling very ill? Thanks.

Smorgass Bored said:
04-16-2008, 11:07 AM

She Loved Telling Her "Creature" Story To Anyone That Would Listen

Mike, you know that you and your wife remain in my prayers. This may not be the time or place to post this, but my mother and I (and the rest of our family) laughed about this until the day she died.

My mother went into the hospital to have her spleen removed and during the operation, they discoved cancer on her lymph nodes. The operation took much longer than expected and I spent the time in the hospital chapel praying for her and making promises to God.

They took her to I.C.U. after her surgery. The movie E.T. had recently come out and I bought her a large (about 12") stuffed E.T. figure with big bulbous eyes. Eventually that night, they let me into her room to see her for 5 minutes, but she was out like a light. I hung the stuffed E.T. on the tall metal stand used for fluid drips at the foot of her bed and left for the night.

I found out later that she awoke during the night and with no light in the room, except for moonlight from the open window, she could barley make out the huge clock on the wall and the second hand that jumped from second to second. It was during one of her awake moments that she first saw THE CREATURE with 'big eyes' seeming to float in space at the foot of her bed. She was terrified. She put her pillow on her head and pulled the sheet up to her eyes.

She said later, that it was the longest, most terrifying night of her life and even as the sun slowly rose, she STILL didn't know what the hell that was staring at her with those great big eyes. Oy-Vey, I never lauged so hard as she realated this to me on the phone.

They had a drip in her arm and she told me there was a great big air bubble moving down the line and if it went into her arm, she would die from it. I told her to press the nurse's call button for immediate assistance.

She kept pressing the call button, telling me that noone was responding and giving me a blow by blow description on the progress of the AIR BUBBLE. It's 24 inches away, 23 1/2 inches away, it's getting closer, nobody is coming, it's 20 inches away and on and on.

Finally, she said "IT'S GOING INTO MY ARM NOW", it's in there, I Love You........ GOODBYE. There was a heavy sigh and then nothing. She was gone and I began to cry. After about a minute (which seemed like a year) she softly said, "hello, HELLO". I said, "mom, you're ALIVE."
She said, "yes, and that damned creature is STILL staring at me."

When she got home, her little dog adopted that stuffed animal as it's own and carried it gently to whichever room my mother happed to be in. When my mother passed away, I placed The Creature in the foot of her casket to keep her company and scare the hell out of her if she ever opens her eyes again...... God bless you in these trying times, Mike.

Doug
( laughter is the best medicine.... imo )

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
JesPiddlin said:
This is probably my favorite post from Smorgie. It made me laugh AND cry. A wonderful story that clearly displays his personality... his zest for life and love. JoeyA, would you please tell him to remember his mother's creature story and that this post helped me when I was feeling very ill? Thanks.

Thanks for posting that story, I had missed it.

Doug is easily the best storyteller I've ever come across.

jungledude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get well Doug

:thumbup: I've been fortunate to know Doug personally for almost 30 years and he's always been a real tough guy. Keep fighting Doug, I'll buy you a cold one when you get better. God Bless,

BigDogatLarge

Da pool gods are laughin'
Silver Member
Thank you for being there for Doug and Barb during these trying times, Joey.
You are a special person and I am glad to have been in your company.

Please let Doug know my thoughts and prayers are with him. Thank You.

Dwight

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Thanks Joey for the updates on Doug's condition. Doug has been an inspiration to many here on AZ, while this forum gave Doug a place to share his Humor and his Wit, it gave many of us forum members much more. I pray for Doug's recovery, however, more than that I Pray that his condition comes to a positive conclusion soon so that his suffering ends as soon as possible.

Doug, I hope you find peace one way or another, you deserve nothing less and far more. No matter the out come of your present situation I will never forget you, and if you ever read this you know it has nothing to do with Rep which really and truly means nothing to me. You have given me personal counsel on this forum on a few occasions, and you have brightened my day with your comments many more times than I can even remember.

I wish you and your's the best, and if I can ever help you personally or your family please have some contact me.

Craig W. Rittel
9324 South Tacoma Way
Lakewood, WA 98499

1-=253-512-6898

Fullsplicebilliards2@comcast.net

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Spoke with Doug a few minutes ago and his condition has not improved one iota. Won't go into the details but will keep the faith, hoping that something improves. The doctor rescheduled a procedure but cancelled it this morning again, when he saw Doug's condition worsening.

It's not good news and I'll shut up if any person wants me to. I don't like being the bearer of bad news and wish that I had something good to tell you. Perhaps that is what I will do. I won't say anything until I have at least some good news to share.

Sorry.
JoeyA

JesPiddlin

Silver Member
JoeyA said:
Spoke with Doug a few minutes ago and his condition has not improved one iota. Won't go into the details but will keep the faith, hoping that something improves. The doctor rescheduled a procedure but cancelled it this morning again, when he saw Doug's condition worsening.

It's not good news and I'll shut up if any person wants me to. I don't like being the bearer of bad news and wish that I had something good to tell you. Perhaps that is what I will do. I won't say anything until I have at least some good news to share.

Sorry.
JoeyA

JoeyA... Don't get too down on yourself over Doug's condition. You are doing a wonderful job. You are not giving false hopes, but giving straight-up reports. We all respect and appreciate your reports.

I've been in your shoes at least twice. It's a hard place to be in, but keeping both sides in touch is actually very good for all of us, including Doug. My dad got better many times, when I took him all the e-mails from everyone and read them to him. My grandma did, also. Sometimes, the right stuff comes in, just when you're hitting your lowest point and helps you smile. It doesn't always work, but it helps to know you matter to so many. Smorg knows he matters, but to continue hearing that we are all praying for him and behind him 100% will help, whether the news is good or bad. It helps us to know he is being updated on us, too.

You have to keep in mind that although you look at some of the news you give us as bad news, it may be just the opposite. It may be that the docs are going to focus harder on getting him better and in the process, they might find an undetected problem that has made things worse... and maybe it could be something that is easily fixable. You just never know. Just keep us informed and make sure Doug knows he has one of the biggest, most supportive families in the world.

Your position may be tough, but you are very valuable and very appreciated. You are our main and possibly our ONLY connection to someone we all love and care for, so much. You are doing a wonderful job.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
JoeyA said:

Sorry.
JoeyA

Keep us updated Joey, and thank you.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorg and I have not always seen eye to eye but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Doug, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

With kind regards,
Koop

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
JoeyA said:

Sorry.
JoeyA

JoeyA,

It's tough to be on the receiving end of bad news and then to have to share it makes it even tougher.

Please know that even though it's tough, the more we hear, the more we can pray for him - pray for his comfort and pray that Barb is handling all this as best she can.

We can all recognize this isn't good news, but we all love him and wish him the best. Please tell Barb, also, we care for her and are thinking of her as well. It's tough to see a loved one in his condition and she has to be just as scared as he is.

Tell Doug from me that the French Maid sends secret kisses.

Dammit, Doug! We miss you! Get your butt back home to play poker with Mrs G and back to posting on AZB!

Melinda

BigDogatLarge

Da pool gods are laughin'
Silver Member
akaTrigger said:
JoeyA,

It's tough to be on the receiving end of bad news and then to have to share it makes it even tougher.

Please know that even though it's tough, the more we hear, the more we can pray for him - pray for his comfort and pray that Barb is handling all this as best she can.

We can all recognize this isn't good news, but we all love him and wish him the best. Please tell Barb, also, we care for her and are thinking of her as well. It's tough to see a loved one in his condition and she has to be just as scared as he is.

Tell Doug from me that the French Maid sends secret kisses.

Dammit, Doug! We miss you! Get your butt back home to play poker with Mrs G and back to posting on AZB!

Melinda

Tap Tap Tap

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
JoeyA said:

Sorry.
JoeyA

I'm sure it must be hard on you Joey. I/we do appreciate your efforts to keep the rest of Doug's 'family' up to speed. Please keep on keeping on.