Smorgass Bored Update

speakers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
While they may not put him completely under (if they are ever able to do the procedure) I'm sure they will be stoking him with pain relievers.

The mind is a powerful tool, maybe you can convince him that every rep point he has reduces the amount of physical pain by 1%, he'd be 1,000,000% painfree. He'd by flyin high! Or try another approach, every friend he has here on AZ is taking .5% of his physical pain so again, he'd be 1,000,000% painfree. I know, it's a dorky thing to say, but seriously the power of the mind and spirit can greatly overpower the physical.

Best wishes to Doug and his family and thank you very much for being a liason between AZ & Doug.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
This thread gives me a reason to log into AzB much more often during the day than I used to. Get well soon Smorg!

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Thanks Joey for all the updates. Pats and greens from the forum can't do total justice to the friendship and honor you put out there. Not even close.

The news... After much else there's a sliver of silver lining :) :) :)

However little the tide may have just made a turn, this is really exceptional welcome news! I surmise we shan't be overly optimistic, but cautiously so perhaps.

Doug, phone home! Someone is trying to get in and borrow your Tampa Tubby Lobster bib!

<not sure that'll motivate him to wave His magic wand, but it's worth a try, eh?>

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Tampa-Tubby Bob

Also known as Smorgass Bored and Doug Wiley is going to the operating room in a few minutes to have the procedure done which will determine where and how much damage has been done to his heart.

He is required to lay still for two hours (the length of the operation) then he has to lay still for 4 hours after that in recovery.

Last night, they tested his ability to lie still and he was able to lay completely still for all of 8 seconds.

The good news is that he has lost 23 pounds of fluid. Also, he was of determined spirit, this morning and I told him to hang tough and to remember the Corps. I told him of all his AZ friends who were pulling for him and to think of them often. Weak and drugged up pretty good he was still able to whisper, "I am tough, I will remember the Corps and all of my AZ friends." :smile:

They have been alternating morphine and oxycontin every hour for a while now to sedate him but not to knock him out. He has to remain conscious during this procedure.

This procedure is critical in more ways than one. If it doesn't kill Doug, it will at least determine precisely what is making his heart perform so poorly. Up until now, they can only guess.

If Doug makes it through the procedure, they may be able to determine if they can go further with attempting to correct some of the problems.

We should know something by this afternoon and I will try to post as I hear the results.

I know all of his friends will be hoping, wishing and praying for "favorable winds and following seas" and so does he.

JoeyA

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
Joey, I assume they've done ultrasounds on his heart - I also assume those results were inconclusive? Going in seems like a "last resort" method to see what's going on.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
good news!

I know one of the things that has made him crazy with frustration is that they wouldn't even try to save his life. Even with all of the risk it is good news that they are making a real effort with him. With all of the modern testing equipment the doctors still find the unexpected when they get a real look at things. Doug's heart may be far better or worse than they expect it to be. Real information may prompt more action.

Joey, thanks once again for keeping us all up to date on Doug. It is hugely appreciated.

Hu

JoeyA said:
Also known as Smorgass Bored and Doug Wiley is going to the operating room in a few minutes to have the procedure done which will determine where and how much damage has been done to his heart.

He is required to lay still for two hours (the length of the operation) then he has to lay still for 4 hours after that in recovery.

Last night, they tested his ability to lie still and he was able to lay completely still for all of 8 seconds.

The good news is that he has lost 23 pounds of fluid. Also, he was of determined spirit, this morning and I told him to hang tough and to remember the Corps. I told him of all his AZ friends who were pulling for him and to think of them often. Weak and drugged up pretty good he was still able to whisper, "I am tough, I will remember the Corps and all of my AZ friends." :smile:

They have been alternating morphine and oxycontin every hour for a while now to sedate him but not to knock him out. He has to remain conscious during this procedure.

This procedure is critical in more ways than one. If it doesn't kill Doug, it will at least determine precisely what is making his heart perform so poorly. Up until now, they can only guess.

If Doug makes it through the procedure, they may be able to determine if they can go further with attempting to correct some of the problems.

We should know something by this afternoon and I will try to post as I hear the results.

I know all of his friends will be hoping, wishing and praying for "favorable winds and following seas" and so does he.

JoeyA

lady9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you Joey

I'll be able to think of little else this morning. Doug, we're with you, hang in there!

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
A lot of prayers and blessings going out to Doug, can't help but love the guy.

Jim

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I don't pray often (definitely not as often as I should) but I asked the Lord to keep his hand on Doug today and pull him through as well as possible.

We are rooting for you big guy.

BrandyWine

Mike's Better Half
Silver Member
Joey,
You are truely an amazing friend.
Thank you for keeping us posted. Our thoughts and prayers are with Doug, his family and you.

Have the Doctors whisper "Spice is Nice" in his ear during the proceedure.

Don't forget about the natural Mannatech products I told you about. They really work to heal at the cellular level.

Waiting for the next update.........
Donna

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Thank you Joey, for keeping us updated.

Hoping for some good news. Wish there was something I could have done for our Tampa-Tubby Bob.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Meeting Fellow AZers

We are so fortunate that Doug & Joey are friends!!

So often one our fellow AZers falls ill or worse and we don't know about it until it makes it's way through he rumor mill. This is one reason that I like to meet fellow AZers. I talk to several on the phone and have met many in person.

I am truly proud to be a part of such a great bunch of people! We really are a great big family! IMO

Thanks Joey, and thanks to all the AZers that have come here to rally for our buddy!

****IMPORTANT

Please kick those prayers, well wishes and thoughts up a notch today folks!!!

Thanks!

Ray

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Smorg made it through the procedure.

That's all the news I have. Barb needed to be brief but wanted to share the news.

At least it was some great news, finally.

WHEW! Glad that part is over.

Now if he can lay still for another 4 hours of recovery. I bet they will just shoot him up with some stuff if he gets to wanting to wiggle. :D

JoeyA

jackson

"The Sleekly Drifter"
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
That's all the news I have. Barb needed to be brief but wanted to share the news.

Now if he can lay still for another 4 hours of recovery. I bet they will just shoot him up with some stuff if he gets to wanting to wiggle. :D

JoeyA

:joyful: :joyful: :joyful: :joyful: - it's all that spice!!!! - keep it comin'!!! - Jackson:yes:

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
JoeyA said:

JoeyA

This is very good news...we're pulling for you Smorggie....