Sometimes you lose when you win

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Well hustling and my way too big of a mouth for a little guy caught up to me today. A friend of mine (not any more) told me about a bar that had plenty of $10, $20, and up action. He said there were only a few, if any in the bar that could beat me on a bar table.

I drive down there, see it’s in a bad area, but go in anyway. It took me all of 20 minutes to hook-up with a guy playing $20 a game 9-ball. An hour or so later I’m up $120 and the guy I’m playing is all kinds of pissed off and big. I break the balls, make the one in the side and have a perfect 2-9 combo in the corner. As soon as the 9-ball dropped (before I eiven got out of my stance) wham with a fist right in the jaw. I go down on my knees hitting the table with my mouth on the way down. I started to get up, but then realized I was pretty dizzy and he was young and big, and I was little and old, so I stayed down in praying mode.

The bartender came over and told me to get the hell out of the bar; he said they didn’t like hustlers in there. I picked myself up staggered to my car and sat there looking at my gun. After a few minutes I put it away and drove home to listen to a bunch of crap from the wife that was worse than the beating. So now for $120 (never got the other $20 for the last combo, and didn’t ask either) I need a new set of dentures for $1000. Makes sense to me. Sometimes when you win you, you lose. Johnnyt

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
instincts ain't what they used to be

Johnny,

Hate to hear that. Mostly I suspect being out of practice got you in trouble. When you are hustling all the time you either don't get in those situations to begin with or you duck out before the poop hits the fan.

I don't have any interest in going in a bar these days. Too old, too slow, and too lazy. Most people in a pool hall understand that you win some you lose some. Bar room players both overrate their abilities and often have a lot of ego involved. Add a little alcohol and folks get stupid. I haven't been hit or hit anyone in years and I like it that way.

Hu

Well hustling and my way too big of a mouth for a little guy caught up to me today. A friend of mine (not any more) told me about a bar that had plenty of $10, $20, and up action. He said there were only a few, if any in the bar that could beat me on a bar table.

I drive down there, see it’s in a bad area, but go in anyway. It took me all of 20 minutes to hook-up with a guy playing $20 a game 9-ball. An hour or so later I’m up $120 and the guy I’m playing is all kinds of pissed off and big. I break the balls, make the one in the side and have a perfect 2-9 combo in the corner. As soon as the 9-ball dropped (before I given got out of my stance) wham with a fist right in the jaw. I go down on my knees hitting the table with my mouth on the way down. I started to get up, but then realized I was pretty dizzy and he was young and big, and I was little and old, so I stayed down in praying mode.

The bartender came over and told me to get the hell out of the bar; he said they didn’t like hustlers in there. I picked myself up staggered to my car and sat there looking at my gun. After a few minutes I put it away and drove home to listen to a bunch of crap from the wife that was worse than the beating. So now for $120 (never got the other $20 for the last combo, and didn’t ask either) I need a new set of dentures for $1000. Makes sense to me. Sometimes when you win you, you lose. Johnnyt

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny,

Hate to hear that. Mostly I suspect being out of practice got you in trouble. When you are hustling all the time you either don't get in those situations to begin with or you duck out before the poop hits the fan.

I don't have any interest in going in a bar these days. Too old, too slow, and too lazy. Most people in a pool hall understand that you win some you lose some. Bar room players both overrate their abilities and often have a lot of ego involved. Add a little alcohol and folks get stupid. I haven't been hit or hit anyone in years and I like it that way.

Hu

Yes sir, when you're in practice you get to read the atmosphere quickly and know when to duck out. In the bars the players have an image to uphold with their friends. Couple that with alcohol and you have trouble. In the pool rooms like you say they are used to winning and losing. I haven't done the bar scene for a long time. Sometimes I wonder how I survived. But at that time it was a gamble I was willing to take.

I had some episodes that involved guns and knifes that were real dangerous and I cringe when I think of some of them.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Johnny,

Gambling in a bar with a young guy whose had a few drinks and is younger, bigger, and stronger than you are is a recipe for disaster a lot of times. It's not worth the risk you're taking to win a few dollars in a place like that. I'd stick to a pool room for my action, but sometimes that isn't the safest place to gamble.

James

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Maybe I won't get a new set of dentures. Efren says he shoots better w/o them:). Maybe when the wife settles down and stops saying, "what the f*** were you thinking? Every 10 minutes." she'll spring for the new dentures. I doubt she wants to be seen with me w/o them. She comes from the snobby side of the tracks. Johnnyt

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I quit playing for money in bars about 16 years ago. Thanks for reminding me why.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And thanks for reminding me why I never really got into gambling too much. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
And thanks for reminding me why I never really got into gambling too much. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Thanks, but I'm just a little sore. At least I can still play pool, he didn't break my thumbs lol. Johnnyt

asmith74

Where I pay homage
Silver Member
that's why I don't play for money. Too many hard feelings. I'd rather make friends than money.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Did you actually lose teeth, oor are you just kidding around?

In either case, I hope you feel better. If it helps, I thorough enjoyed the story.

PS. We're you hiding your speed, or was the guy just simply unhappy to be losing?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Did you actually lose teeth, oor are you just kidding around?

In either case, I hope you feel better. If it helps, I thorough enjoyed the story.

PS. We're you hiding your speed, or was the guy just simply unhappy to be losing?

Dentures. Holding my speed...probably not enough. Johnnyt

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny,

Hu

Yep... bar players really let their egos get tied into it. the sad part is sometimes it's easier to get action in bars.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Just one game! Hell, I would have punched you too. ;) ... j/k JohnnyT.

Next time take someone with you if it looks scary at all. Preferably someone burly and not so friendly looking, like myself.

Freddie O

Banned

I drive down there, see it’s in a bad area, but go in anyway. It took me all of 20 minutes to hook-up with a guy playing $20 a game 9-ball. An hour or so later I’m up $120 and the guy I’m playing is all kinds of pissed off and big. I break the balls, make the one in the side and have a perfect 2-9 combo in the corner. As soon as the 9-ball dropped (before I given got out of my stance) wham with a fist right in the jaw. I go down on my knees hitting the table with my mouth on the way down. I started to get up, but then realized I was pretty dizzy and he was young and big, and I was little and old, so I stayed down in praying mode.

This reminds me of the movie The Hustler when Fast Eddie hustled that guy. I think the name of the guy he hustled in the movie was Turk. They told him, "we always pay when we lose, friend". "There's your money boy, well there's your money boy". Then broke his thumbs.

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
Bar room players both overrate their abilities and often have a lot of ego involved. Add a little alcohol and folks get stupid.

Hu

Hu,

I couldn't have said that any better. I love the people at the bar I shoot at and love the bar, but man those guys could swear up the wall that they had professional ability.