Stories

cab9379

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about some people share some stories of there trip to the derby city classic. I can tell you I have went every year since it was at the Executive West and I wouldn't miss it because of all the action, it's insane.

ACE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 09, I remember watching a man in a wheel chair play a guy with no arms for thousands and the no armed guy was ahead. Or How bout, in 07, when we all had to go stand out side in the cold because of a fire in the kitchen area. Now that's crazy!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I remember one year where guys were seeing who could flip a quarter closest to the footspot for hundreds and then someone wanted to fight for 1,000 which I wanted to see but didn't happen.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember walking upstairs at the EIW in the Gambling room and watching John Hagar playing Sparky Ferrell 9 ball for $1000 a game. That was big action where I came from.

Remember going to bed at 730 am after watching action all night and at 745 the jack hammers starting going and woke us all up and we could not go back to sleep until 5 when they stopped. Some good stories from the Executive Inn West.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I remember walking upstairs at the EIW in the Gambling room and watching John Hagar playing Sparky Ferrell 9 ball for $1000 a game. That was big action where I came from.

Remember going to bed at 730 am after watching action all night and at 745 the jack hammers starting going and woke us all up and we could not go back to sleep until 5 when they stopped. Some good stories from the Executive Inn West.

Sparky is one of my favorite guys to watch in action at every DCC. The first time I saw him I think he was playing 9-ball with Larry Price, and I was like who is this guy who looks like he's about a drop of RedBull away from exploding? A lot of fun to watch.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Sparky is one of my favorite guys to watch in action at every DCC. The first time I saw him I think he was playing 9-ball with Larry Price, and I was like who is this guy who looks like he's about a drop of RedBull away from exploding? A lot of fun to watch.

Redbull......yeah, it was Redbull I tell ya.;)

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I held the money for that match....I got up to stretch and Sparky's eyes (from the effects of Red Bull I'm sure) were bugging out when I stepped out the back door for a sec....they broke even after 2 sets....he was cool with me though...

Gary

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

The first time I went to the Derby I seen Efren on a practice table in the middle of the hall with someone that I didn't recognize. I asked someone what were they doing. I was told they were playing one pocket for $150 a game. I said that guy must be a idiot. Was then told it was Scott Frost and he was getting a spot. Turned out to be some great matches and Scott got his money worth both in lessons and entertainment. When Efren made one of his magical shots Scott would get a grin from ear to ear. It was as if he would intentionally put Efren in some situation just to see how he would play it without really caring about winning the game.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are really almost too many to name.

In no particular order:
1. Strong Arm playing slow play, soft break 8 ball.
2. Gabe running 15 and out one game (might have been 16).
3. Alex playing almost any game for money.
4. A good friend of mine spotting Brandon Shuff and straight in on his money ball about two feet away from the side pocket. He expects Brandon to concede the game, but Brandon does not do so immediately. My friend takes a long time to tie his shoe, pull up his pants, tighten his belt, fluff his t-shirt, adjust his cap, wipe his forehead, take a drink - obviously it was hilarious almost along the exaggerated acts of a silent film. Still Brandon doesn't concede this simple shot and he finally gets the picture and my buddy finally grabs his cue, half strokes the ball, and fires it in 20 miles an hour.
5. I had just finished reading "Playing Off the Rail" which features a few stories about Bucktooth. He walks in the room and chats up a friend of mine who plays real bad, like APA bad. My buddy comes up to me and says hey, this old guy wants to try me some even. I almost busted a gut.

Bucknut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone remember Charlie Bryant breaking someone's arm while arm wrestling at the "snack counter" really late one night. How about when Alex would get a buzz and bet on anything such as the fact he could jump up and touch the ceiling in the hallway outside the tournament room. Ahh good times at the Executive West.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember watching Henny and Tony Colemans son arm wrestling for a bunch on money in the action room. Once that started, it took Tony about 3 seconds to grab all the money off the table, it went that fast. Don't think anyone knew what hit them.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I remember watching Henny and Tony Colemans son arm wrestling for a bunch on money in the action room. Once that started, it took Tony about 3 seconds to grab all the money off the table, it went that fast. Don't think anyone knew what hit them.

I knew what hit em.....

I was backing Henny in the match he was playing when that went down. He was playing Darren Appleton a set for 2K and Tony's boy came up barking about armwrestling and Henny couldn't resist for some reason. I told him I was not in that bet so they armwrestled for 500 and it went quick. I told him not to armwrestle a guy in a wheelchair but..... what do I know?

They resumed the pool set and Jon won.:thumbup: