SVB and Dennis score.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I played a lot of it during my first ten years visiting the Philippines. The best players are very creative, finding and shooting off angle combinations and billiards that are two way shots, and can lead to a winning outcome or a good safety. If they can find a way to make a high numbered ball, they will go for it, with a high rate of success. I'd been playing pool for over forty years when I began to venture over there and I learned new shots and concepts that had never crossed my mind playing 9-Ball.

Their foundation is built on cue ball control and they are the world masters at finding ways to stick "whitey" up your ass. My apologies to those who are easily offended. :rolleyes:
Plus, they are equally adept at escaping the best laid traps.

Put another way, Rotation is the "One Pocket" of all rotation games. Many people may not be aware that Efren is considered the all time best Rotation player in the Philippines. I guess that's no surprise. Learning to play One Pocket was right up his alley! :D

Thanks for the education. There's no substitute for seeing it up close. Sounds like full rack rotation is the game that best builds the imagination, which translates to great creativity. I wonder how many of those that go on the road to the Philippines are smart enough to spend some of their time playing full rack rotation.

Trying to compare 9-ball or 10-ball to full rack rotation, it seems, is like comparing 9-ball banks to full rack banks. John Brumback once explained to me that full rack banks is a much stiffer test that develops more all-around skills and knowledge.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Thanks for the education. There's no substitute for seeing it up close. Sounds like full rack rotation is the game that best builds the imagination, which translates to great creativity. I wonder how many of those that go on the road to the Philippines are smart enough to spend some of their time playing full rack rotation.

Trying to compare 9-ball or 10-ball to full rack rotation, it seems, is like comparing 9-ball banks to full rack banks. John Brumback once explained to me that full rack banks is a much stiffer test that develops more all-around skills and knowledge.

Growing up in the Chicago area, we played allot of full rack banks, you never busted em open if you did and made a ball, since it was not a legal bank shot your opponent was up. We always broke similar to 14.1.

''No kisses' combinations or air shots''

This was the term used, when playing this full rack game, if you scratched you owed one.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Growing up in the Chicago area, we played allot of full rack banks, you never busted em open if you did and made a ball, since it was not a legal bank shot your opponent was up. We always broke similar to 14.1.

This was the term used, when playing this full rack game, if you scratched you owed one.

We come from the same era and where I grew up (Dayton) Bank Pool was very popular as well. A lot of good bankers came up from Kentucky and Tennessee looking for action. Donny Anderson, out of Cincinnati was the best Banker around but even he wouldn't play Eddie Taylor without a spot. Joe Burns, the owner of Forest Park Billiards, schooled me on Banks several times, and he was the best banker in Dayton. I watched him play Taylor getting only 8-7. He lost but made a good showing anyway.

One other guy who played excellent Bank Pool was Lou Todoroff and he took a liking to me and really helped me develop my game. Bank Pool became my "undercover" game on the road and more than a few times it bailed me out when I couldn't beat a guy at One Pocket. Too bad you and I never played some Banks. I might have had a chance at that game since you were a speed above me. :grin:

One more thing. We never played Short Rack Banks until the game was introduced by Greg Sullivan at his tournaments in Kentucky in the 1980's. He did it to speed up the Bank Pool division and it did. In Short Rack you tend to play a far more wide open game and try to run some banks when given the opportunity.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

I grew up straight across the lake from Chicago, everybody busted em wide open and spotted the made balls after your turn.

Our main guy from there was Tony Coleman

I probably played banks for 10+ years before seeing or hearing of short rack.

Jason<-----misses full rack

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I grew up straight across the lake from Chicago, everybody busted em wide open and spotted the made balls after your turn.

Our main guy from there was Tony Coleman

I probably played banks for 10+ years before seeing or hearing of short rack.

Jason<-----misses full rack

Michigan City? I spend a week most every summer in Sawyer at my brothers summer home on the top of the dunes. Sure do love those MI blueberries, hard to beat. Heard this yr tho, was not good for the peaches.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Michigan City? I spend a week most every summer in Sawyer at my brothers summer home on the top of the dunes. Sure do love those MI blueberries, hard to beat. Heard this yr tho, was not good for the peaches.

St. Joseph

Had family with Blueberries farms, thank ill have a few Blueberry Gin Sours on Saturday 👍

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Two negative things about this otherwise memorable match stand out to me:

1) Drunken commentators, whether or not some find it amusing, are unacceptable in a pay per view stream. On a free stream, it's something you, sadly, sometimes have to live with.

2) Only in pool do you get a smoking break at the very moment a match has built to a climax. Why must Dennis take a smoking break just after Shane scratches on the break less than five minutes from the end of the match? I, for one, agree with Mike Zuglan's go-to line at Joss events: "There's no such thing as a smoking break. If you have to go to the bathroom, go." Player timeouts in our sport have a way of reducing the excitement level when it ought to be at its highest.
His adrenaline is pumping overtime from the excitement of the miss and a chance to win!

That can be a good thing and a bad thing! To take a time out and let things calm down is a wise move. You may not need to use the restroom and a cigarette or snack break should not be frowned upon. It is smart to cool off and calm down! Like you said, the entire room is on edge! So, the players are definitely feeling it.

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
My guess is Shane is done playing 9 ball with these break rules. If Dennis or Filler or anybody wants to play him for money it's going to be 10 ball. He should hold out for it.

poolpimp13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't know Shane either. You may very likely be right, but you never know.

I don't think he is going to quit or anything like that but I think this is a big tipping point for Shane. He's been the top dawg for a long time but he knows he can't be the best forever.

Shane seems to be slowly losing his confidence over the past few years. It started with him falling a little short at the major international tournaments against the new younger players. Then it continued when he under performed in the recent Mosconi Cups when US really needed him to step up. Espeically that ugly Mosconi match he played against Jayson Shaw where he cracked under pressure. Now he choked in this long race against Dennis.

With the Mosconi Cup right around the corner, he may be started to question his abilities. I wouldn't want to be inside his head right now. It's not looking good...
Yeah this is the second time Shane choked when he had a big lead other time was against alex can't remember if they were playing to 100 or 120.