TAD Cue for sale

Dawgneck

Cognitive Elitist
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Please Excuse The Long Post Below

This may not be the right thread to post this comment, but it’s akin to a few posts above (Mods, feel free to move if necessary).

I visit Hard Times 3-5 days a week and know a lot of the people who participated in and/or watched the Tad Cup tournament. There IS talk about the "true" ranking of the player who won, AND other players believed to be "underrated" and who received an "unfair" handicap advantage during the tournament.

I don't know if any of the above is true, but the following pertains to tournaments in general, not the HT Tad Cup tournament, its participants or those who run it.

Since there is no perfect way to keep track of every player's "true" rating, "unfair" tournament results are possible, including:

1. An "A" player (sandbagging or not) may mistakenly be let into a "B" tournament and possibly win, and

2. Underrated players (sandbagging or not) or those receiving "incorrect" handicaps MIGHT place high OR win tournaments due to the "unfair" advantage received.

Outcome #1 hopefully isn't a big problem for participates or those running the event because overall, the "A" player should be discovered before the tournament or, if during, asked to 1) leave, 2) forfeit their prize, 3) not to play in future "B" tournaments, 4) all of the above or 5) permitted to continue/win/move on.

Outcome #2 COULD BE a problem, especially if allowed to continue for any length of time. A "correctly" handicapped player placing high or winning a tournament is a good thing. This is what the handicap advantage is about. Everyone, regardless of their skill level receives a fair shot. On the other hand, if a player is underrated and receives an "incorrect" handicap which gives them an unfair advantage and enables them to place high or win tournament after tournament, that COULD BE frustrating for the other contestants who are properly ranked.

Personal example: Five years ago I visited a friend in Chicago and watched him participate in a monthly tournament that didn’t have correct handicaps in place. Of course, there was a player who was extremely better than the rest but no matter how much the other participants complained, the sponsors would not correct his handicap or ask him not to participate.

The other players got very frustrated and stopped participating two months afterwards and the tournament is no longer being held. Too bad it came to that.

In regards to the Tad Cup, we all know there are going to be issues in every tournament. All we can do is smile, move on and be better prepared next time.

Chris, congrats on winning the Tad Cup and good luck if you change your mind and decide to sell the cue.

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
207   0   0
The TD at Hard Times did not run the TAD Tournament. The TAD was run by someone else...

Yep. I understand that now, but the fact remains that Chris did not qualify for the tournament and was allowed to play anyways.

NOBODY has a right to give him a hard time for selling the TAD cue, especially a person who was not even the TD for this Tourney.

UPlayLucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I must say, getting 17th in the OPEN 10 ball in vegas, he is a huge Sandbagger and should not have been able to play.

BTW never played in the US Open 10 ball tournament in Vegas, i did play in the 10 ball tournament in Reno, maybe your mistaken.

What place did you get at Reno?

Here are some guys that ended in the 17th spot at Reno:
Amar Kang, Jose Parica, Ernesto Dominguez, Sal Butera, Manual Chau

They all play pretty sporty:grin:

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
In today's pool world, I would think it is hard for anyone to over-sandbag at a major tournament, or to get over on a TD. All you have to do is look at the internet. It isn't like the old days where no one knew who you were.

Looks like Chris can play a bit, but, to be fair, looks like he placed 17-24th out of about 80 total players in Reno....the draw would have a lot to do with it, too...how many wins was that vs how many losses?
http://www.playbca.com/events/2012usbartablechampionships.aspx

According to AZ, doesn't look like he is getting rich off the tournament wins:
http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showplayer2012.php?playernum=9151

Joe

Last edited:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
In today's pool world, I would think it is hard for anyone to over-sandbag at a major tournament, or to get over on a TD. All you have to do is look at the internet. It isn't like the old days where no one knew who you were.

Looks like Chris can play a bit, but, to be fair, looks like he placed 17-24th out of about 80 total players in Reno....the draw would have a lot to do with it, too...how many wins was that vs how many losses?
http://www.playbca.com/events/2012usbartablechampionships.aspx

According to AZ, doesn't look like he is getting rich off the tournament wins:
http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showplayer2012.php?playernum=9151

Joe

Joe

In fairness, not a B player. I'm a B player and I'm not placing 17th to 24 in Reno EVER. And he knew his speed when he walked up to the TD and announced himself as a B. I can understand Marielle's frustration, as a TD, fairness is a big part of her concern, and this win, and the subsequent merchandising of his prize, seems to cut directly across that.

And it seems to me that blaming the TD for not being vigilant enough and letting a sandbagger in is a little like blaming the security guards for a bank heist, I mean, the robber is not to blame here just a little bit?

Thanks

Kevin

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of Chris's matches went Hill/Hill, which if he was sandbagging, is taking an awful big chance. (I actually think it was about 4 of his matches, not 7).

Chris mainly plays one-pocket which means that he plays a different game of 9-Ball entirely. He has different knowledge of the game and it's very difficult to rate someone like this...

I do agree that he should have played at least one or two of our regular Thursday Tourneys though, in order to be properly rated.

I came in 3rd place at that event and I called Chris to see if he would play me for the cue after I saw this posting for sale.

I personally think that with the 'CALL 8' we would be an even game.

I offered to play him a race to 50, $2,300 against his TAD CUE, because I personally feel that the cue should go to a Cali Player. I also feel that this is a good way for Chris to clear his name and prove to the rest of the world that he wasn't a 'lock' for the event.

That being said, I think the cue is already spoken for now, but the offer is still open and I'll still play Chris a race to 50 for any amount! Streamed Live on POV Pool!

The ball is in Chris's court!

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
296   0   0
A lot of Chris's matches went Hill/Hill, which if he was sandbagging, is taking an awful big chance. (I actually think it was about 4 of his matches, not 7).

Chris mainly plays one-pocket which means that he plays a different game of 9-Ball entirely. He has different knowledge of the game and it's very difficult to rate someone like this...

I do agree that he should have played at least one or two of our regular Thursday Tourneys though, in order to be properly rated.

I came in 3rd place at that event and I called Chris to see if he would play me for the cue after I saw this posting for sale.

I offered to play him a race to 50, $2,300 against his TAD CUE, because I personally feel that the cue should go to a Cali Player. I also feel that this is a good way for Chris to clear his name and prove to the rest of the world that he wasn't a 'lock' for the event.

That being said, I think the cue is already spoken for now, but the offer is still open and I'll still play Chris a race to 50 for any amount! Streamed Live on POV Pool!

Daniel coming with the thunder! I would like to play in this tournament next year and could probably play a couple Thursday tournaments to show my game. In Arizona I am rated an 8 which translates to a B player so I think I might qualify. I do not play as well as you in rotation but I have my moments. I would probably keep the cue if I were lucky enough to win it, a functional trophy! :smile:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0

Daniel

Wait, maybe I'm wrong.

Was the Tourney only for "B" players ? Are you a "B" player? I mean you are rated there and were allowed to play and willing to play Chris even up so maybe I misunderstood either what the qualifications were or what they consider a 'B".

Thanks. and nice job bringing pool to the peops BTW, its a noble endeavor

Kevin

neilhin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
How about this analogy instead?

An SEC official throws a tantrum on an online forum because the "insider trader" made some big bucks by betting on an merger and is now smiling all the way to the bank. That slimy trader must have been tipped off and how dare he use that to his advantage! :mad:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
How about this analogy instead?

An SEC official throws a tantrum on an online forum because the "insider trader" made some big bucks by betting on an merger and is now smiling all the way to the bank. That slimy trader must have been tipped off and how dare he use that to his advantage! :mad:

I'm not sure I get the analogy. Wouldn't it be the SEC official's job to investigate the trader for inside trading and out them through prosecution if they were found to be acting on inside knowledge? Isn't that what they do?

Thanks

Kevin

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
Joe

In fairness, not a B player. I'm a B player and I'm not placing 17th to 24 in Reno EVER. And he knew his speed when he walked up to the TD and announced himself as a B. I can understand Marielle's frustration, as a TD, fairness is a big part of her concern, and this win, and the subsequent merchandising of his prize, seems to cut directly across that.

And it seems to me that blaming the TD for not being vigilant enough and letting a sandbagger in is a little like blaming the security guards for a bank heist, I mean, the robber is not to blame here just a little bit?

Thanks

Kevin

I understand, Kevin. Also, a "B" player in one area might be an "A" player in another. Also, in a short race, anything can happen, as Daniel stated in his willingness to play Chris in a race to 50, call 8.

I don't know how many lower level players would have been in the Reno 10 ball, but a tournament makes its prize money off the entry of players who often have no chance of winning a tourney. They just want to play.

Lesson learned for the tourney, though...they can ban his entry in the future, if they want. If he went hill-hill in several matches, he played it pretty close to the vest.

Joe

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I understand, Kevin. Also, a "B" player in one area might be an "A" player in another. Also, in a short race, anything can happen, as Daniel stated in his willingness to play Chris in a race to 50, call 8.

I don't know how many lower level players would have been in the Reno 10 ball, but a tournament makes its prize money off the entry of players who often have no chance of winning a tourney. They just want to play.

Lesson learned for the tourney, though...they can ban his entry in the future, if they want. If he went hill-hill in several matches, he played it pretty close to the vest.

Joe

Joe

Yup. Daniel's post may have turned me around. That's what I get for playing "judge".

Oh wait (edit) I just read Daniel's post again, he wants a spot. I'm back to it, the OP is no B and should give me that Tad as penalty.

Kevin

Last edited:

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
I'm not sure I get the analogy. Wouldn't it be the SEC official's job to investigate the trader for inside trading and out them through prosecution if they were found to be acting on inside knowledge? Isn't that what they do?

Thanks

Kevin

Oh!!! Now I get it...when he said SEC official, I was thinking SouthEastern Conference. Football season is almost here again!!

Roll Tide!!

Joe

neilhin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
103   0   0

That's my point. That is what they should do and perhaps would do ... if they could prove wrongdoing.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
TAD-thanks

Few tournaments don't have elements of drama. Some during/some after.

To the first prize sponsor, TAD, thank you.

I hope that sponsorship continues.

I played(sort of), I contributed, I lost. It was a strong field (high B's can play).

Thanks to HT and TAD for putting this on.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Few tournaments don't have elements of drama. Some during/some after.

To the first prize sponsor, TAD, thank you.

I hope that sponsorship continues.

I played(sort of), I contributed, I lost. It was a strong field (high B's can play).

Thanks to HT and TAD for putting this on.

I was a scratch golfer and would never play in handicapped events for this very reason. And to be honest, I play in a few handicapped events in pool and a victory is a bit hollow over a guy that had to give me a spot. I think the what HT did for the Tad Cup (if I understand it) was pretty cool, limit who can play and then have them all play heads up?

I like that.

and I like TAD.

Kevin

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
That's my point. That is what they should do and perhaps would do ... if they could prove wrongdoing.

And I think Marielle was pretty sure she knew the OP's speed and thought that he was stealing. Maybe she didn't, maybe she was wrong. I don't know the guy's speed and I don't know her.

I will admit that my prior knowledge of the OP's behavior in a cue deal where he was "only the middle man" made me read her post with a prejudiced eye.

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited:

singernak

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Silver Member
Rating - 96.4%
54   2   0
It's funny how this thread has turned into an accusation that i am no "B" player, like i said before i am no champion, even LENNY can tell you that i am not a good one pocket player either as he as a 'B" player spotted me 2-3 balls and we broke even.

And BTW Daniel is offering the call "8" race to 50 for the cue against $2300 not asking for a spot.

If i play so good that i shouldn't have been in the tournament, then tell me this, why 2 years ago when i played in the tournament as a 8 was i out in 2 matches?

At any rate, the TD knew i didn't live in California and allowed me to play based on playing in the event before.

Daniel, you just might have a game however it will be a round robin of games not just rotation... ONE POCKET race to 6, 8 Ball Race to 7, and Nine ball race to 30

Singernak=Chris McCreary