TAR/Jcin, pocket size on that 5x10?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Is it possible to get a closeup of how tight the pockets are previous to tonights match? Perhaps take two bals and show how well they fit side by side in the pocket opening of a corner pocket. Alot of people are thinking those are 4.5 inch pockets and that would mean that two balls could fit side by side in the pocket opening. From what I see those pockets are nowhere near that loose.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
5529788161_85bbaefa70_z.jpg

About 4.5" but they are cut funny. Its almost impossible to make a ball down the rail hitting it with a lot speed. They just jar out as has been seen several times by both guys.

The story of this table is not just the pockets but the entire package. You have to play a different game than on a 9 footer. I think its awesome. Table is TOUGH.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member

About 4.5" but they are cut funny. Its almost impossible to make a ball down the rail hitting it with a lot speed. They just jar out as has been seen several times by both guys.

The story of this table is not just the pockets but the entire package. You have to play a different game than on a 9 footer. I think its awesome. Table is TOUGH.

This table right here makes it pool! I am now a fan of pros on the 10 footer, by far the coolest table ive seen competitively played on. This is a great match, I hope they play 69 games today

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm no table mechanic, but it looks like the table wasn't done properly.

Am I looking at it wrong? The pocket sides look different.

Attachments

• pockets.jpg
    pockets.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 781

pool_rob9

Registered
good point. that and the cut angle will make those things jar down the rail. the end rail looks like it wasn't given the same length on the sub rail or someone forgot to shim it.

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Aren't pockets measured from point to point? Wouldn't that make them 5" pockets?

au2ag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty interesting pocket cut.

Jcin and all involved:

What I really wanted to say is that this is the first time I have ever paid to watch a sporting event, and I think the quality of production is pretty impressive. Smooth angle shifts and appropriate/reserved commentary.

I will be using TAR streaming much more in the future. Thanks for your efforts to make pool and historic matches like this accessible.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aren't pockets measured from point to point? Wouldn't that make them 5" pockets?

Yes -- from nose to nose -- so this pocket is certainly larger than 4.5", but I can't tell exactly what the measurement is.

I also think that shots hit at reasonable speed straight down a rail with no significant side spin should fall rather than being spit back out. I play on a number of tables like that -- generous size from nose to nose, but bad angles on the pocket facings -- and it always bothers me when a well hit shot down the rail comes bobbling back out. I guess some would say that wasn't a "well hit shot" for that table!:)

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I'd say that they are 4 5/8"... not the 4 1/4" that was reported before the match started.

And check out the radius of the slate... it's a lot tighter than my Diamond with pro cut pockets.

The tighter radius of the slate is indicative of the fact that this is a converted pool table that used to be a snooker table.

Funky pockets that's for sure.

And I'm willing to bet that each corner pocket facing is not cut the same.

scruffy1

Silver Member
I'd say that they are 4 5/8"... not the 4 1/4" that was reported before the match started.

And check out the radius of the slate... it's a lot tighter than my Diamond with pro cut pockets.

The tighter radius of the slate is indicative of the fact that this is a converted pool table that used to be a snooker table.

Funky pockets that's for sure.

And I'm willing to bet that each corner pocket facing is not cut the same.

DING!DING!DING! thats what you are looking at. A 10 G.C snooker horribly converted to pool. Makes for tough play for sure.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
DING!DING!DING! thats what you are looking at. A 10 G.C snooker horribly converted to pool. Makes for tough play for sure.

What's funny about this whole 10ft table thing...is that I offered to the promotors of this even to Diamondize what ever table they came up so that it would play right...and fair...but never heard back from them...and so they end up playing on a piece of junk....calling this the event of the century...right:rolleyes:;)

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
What's funny about this whole 10ft table thing...is that I offered to the promotors of this even to Diamondize what ever table they came up so that it would play right...and fair...but never heard back from them...and so they end up playing on a piece of junk....calling this the event of the century...right:rolleyes:;)

so what you're saying is, doesn't matter who the players are, what the format is, what the rules are, how it's being presented to the public, it can only be a "event of the century" if you worked on the table?

I beg to differ. I think a person could have a "event of the century" played on a pool table straight out of Walmart, if they wanted to.

Let's think about the tables the players of 10 years ago and longer, played on. Many historical matchups and champions were born from those tables. Back then, they played on whatever was in front of them and just dealt with it. Nowadays, we got players that only will play on a specific table in a specific room at a specific time at a specific temperature:D.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so what you're saying is, ...it can only be a "event of the century" if you worked on the table?...:D.

I didn't take it like you did...sounds to me like RKC is saying that the quality of the table didn't match the event's quality, so it wasn't the 'best' it could have been.

Still an awesome match, don't think too many would disagree!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

When I saw some shots hit down the rail that wouldn't drop...
..RKC is the guy I thought of.
Don't think the table was honest and I wish Glen had done the pockets.

At snooker the relevant size of the pocket is at the FALL...
..who cares what the opening is.

Saw Shane miss a 5-ball down the long rail that should have dropped on a
4 inch pocket..the pocket was unfair.
Doesn't change the results...Earl missed a few in that pocket also.
But it would be nice to have a standard table for a match like this.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Don't think the table was honest and I wish Glen had done the pockets.
Saw Shane miss ...Earl missed a few in that pocket also.
Yeah, only thing that keeps it from being a real issue, IMO, is the fact that both players played on the same table.

Those facing angles look brutal. Can anyone e-measure them? It would be neat to have pics of all pockets too.

Road trip!

Last edited:

Tim-n-NM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You Really Really love yourself dont you? Some of the stuff you say just amazes me.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I don't think they wanted to "Diamonize" the table, from what I understand the table was set up based on Earl's suggestions (maybe not the flared pockets though), and I can't see him wanting a 10' diamond. Something tells me he's a GC kinda guy. No reason to turn this into a RKC-debate.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You Really Really love yourself dont you? Some of the stuff you say just amazes me.

I think RKC is a man looking to do something well in an imperfect world.
Yeah, he's opinionated, but what perfectionist isn't?
Some of my best cues were made by people that think like this.

Don't you get a little tired of people who settle for 'good enough'?