The AZB New Book List

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to let everyone know that the trade paper version of Danny Basavich's book "Running The Table" has been released. I didn't think it was coming out until October, but I guess I got a happy surprise.

The ISBN is 9780547086125. The price for the paperback is 14.95 US/ higher in Canada. It is 248 pages. All of the pictures of the hardback are still there. I really liked the picture of Lil Jon with a toothpick in his mouth.

This is a picture of the new release. I think the only thing that has changed is the font on the title.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Running The Table.jpg
    Running The Table.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,176

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No billiard related coloring books? I read at a 2nd grade level, so I have trouble finding pool books.:rolleyes:
Thanks for posting these books-some of which I have never heard of.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been a long time since I saw a new pool book. This brand new one crossed my desk last Friday. While not technically a pool book, it gets credit for having a pool-related dust jacket and pool-related themes.

This is "The Alpine Uproar" by Mary Daheim. It is the 21st book in her series of mystery books featuring her main protagonist Emma Long.

It is 374 pages long and the ISBN is 9780345502551.

This review was copied from Amazon and is a pretty good gist:

"Clive Berentsen kills Alvin De Muth with a pool cue in a barroom brawl, immediately confessing to the crime. Emma Lord, owner of the weekly Alpine Advocate newspaper in central Washington, looks into the killing, convinced that there is more to the story than has come out in the police investigation. Meanwhile, a traffic accident that critically injures a local young man stuns the town, and Emma uncovers secrets that tie the two incidents together. Complicating matters, her p rickly, on-again, off-again relationship with Skykomish County sheriff Milo Dodge is still unresolved, and an old boyfriend is calling, hoping to reignite old flames. This twenty-first in the long-running series set in small-town Alpine, Washington, includes well-delineated main and recurring characters and is framed with interesting details about running a weekly newspaper. Even veterans of the series, however, may have some trouble keeping straight the many townspeople introduced in the story."

Attachments

• Alpine Uproar.jpg
    Alpine Uproar.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,085
Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today's entry is a science fiction book by the author Robert Aspirin titled "Dragons Luck." The ISBN is 9780441016808. It is 369 pages long.

This book caught my eye because of the dragon holding a cue stick and the pool table on the front cover. :cool:

Since I haven't read it yet, the following review is pasted from Amazon:

Young Dragon Griffin McCandles, star of Dragons Wild, finds himself in over his head when he ignorantly agrees to moderate a supernatural conclave in New Orleans just before Halloween. McCandles, who is still learning how to be a dragon, takes on these added responsibilities while juggling his hectic work life, two girlfriends and a mixed bag of inhuman visitors. Getting vampires, shapeshifters, werewolves and changelings (fairy children raised by humans) to tolerate and work with each other are the primary ingredients in this witches brew. Adding flavor are a West Coast dragon who wants to control Griffin and an insane female dragon bent on killing his sister Valerie. Adding some Cajon seasoning are several murders, one of which makes Griffin the lead suspect.

Dragons Wild was a fast-paced, entertaining opening to this series that puts fantasy characters in a modern-day setting. Dragons Luck moves at breakneck speed and is even wilder. Have pot of coffee, some Irish whiskey and a plate of beignets (squares of fried dough buried under powdered sugar) ready. You won't want to put the book down. There is a downside to this novel, though. The series likely ended with the May 2008 death of author and New Orleans native Robert Asprin.

Attachments

• Dragons Luck.jpg
    Dragons Luck.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,053

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found a great book two days ago. It just went on sale today at work.

"Titanic Thompson: The Man Who Bet On Everything" by Kevin Cook. The ISBN is 9780393071153.

Lots of black and white pics including a good picture of Fats and Cokes.

It looks like it's gonna be a good book. :smile:

Attachments

• titanic.JPG
    titanic.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 977

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I found a great book two days ago. It just went on sale today at work.

"Titanic Thompson: The Man Who Bet On Everything" by Kevin Cook. The ISBN is 9780393071153. ..
For those who are interested in the topic, there is also the Stowers book about Thompson, which is available at http://palmermagic.com/ in PB for $20 plus shipping.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today this book crossed my path at work.

The title is Basic Pool: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide. The authors are Babe Cranfield and Lawrence May. I don't have to tell you who the Babe is, do I? :)

The ISBN is 9781616081799.

It is 210 pages and costs $12.95. There are tons of color photos and color diagrams. I don't think this is a new release. I think this is a reprint of Babe Cranfield's older writing with newer pictures and diagrams. Good stuff. :)

More submissions to come! :thumbup:

Attachments

• new books 009.jpg
    new books 009.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 991

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want westerns with a pool theme? Well, look no further.

This is 346th book in the mass-market series of westerns called The Gunsmith. The name of this book is Lady Eight Ball and it is 183 pages of awesomeness.

From the back of the book:

Clint Adams is already known for his talent with a piece of iron, not wood. But AZ rancher Jerry Sacks thinks that Clint's dead-eye skills make him the perfect man to play him in a high-stakes game of pool in Tucson. But with so much money on the line, the Gunsmith is going to have to make some serious trick shots if he wants to avoid a bad break...

This one was so good and full of pool lingo, I couldn't put it down. :embarrassed2:

It came out in 2010 and costs $5.99 US/ $7.50 CAN..

Attachments

• new books 011.jpg
    new books 011.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 940

jungledude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Green Felt Jungle

Hope you guys would enjoy reading my book, The Green Felt Jungle, called pool book of the year by pool & billiard magazine at one point.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today's entry is a book by Juan Gabriel Vasquez titled " El ruido de las cosas al caer." It translates to "The Sound of Things Falling."

This book is written in Spanish and I have not found an English version.

The ISBN is 9781616056117. It is 259 pages. It is a trade paper book, not hard cover or trade cloth.

The following description is on the back of the book:

"The exotic escape and subsequent capture of a hippopotamus, the final remnant of the incongruous zoo Pablo Escobar used to flaunt his power, is the spark that activates the mechanisms of Antonio Yammara's memory, protagonist and narrator of El ruido de las cosas al caer, a dark balance from a time of terror and violence, set in a Bogota painted as a region full of literary significance.

In 1995, Antonio meets the intriguing Ricardo Laverde, a man who has served a 20-year sentence. Laverde, an acknowledged pilot, is part of the group that gathers at the pool hall where Yammara, a young university Law professor, burns what is left of his youth.

The two men become fast friends, to the point where Antonio, whose life has always been full of doubts, affirms that a warning hides within his friend's tortuous experience."

If you can read Spanish, this might be a pretty good tale of fiction. :)

Attachments

• billard 004.jpg
    billard 004.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 880

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Today's entry is a book by Juan Gabriel Vasquez titled " El ruido de las cosas al caer." It translates to "The Sound of Things Falling."

This book is written in Spanish and I have not found an English version.

Geez, I have a tough enough time reading books in ENGLISH.

Keep 'em coming Todd!!!

Maniac

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today I found a pool book for the ladies.

Titled "A Lady Risks All", it is a Harlequin release in their Historical romance category. It is from a short series called "Ladies of Impropriety". I'm not kidding.

These Series Romance books are changed every month, so get this title now or never.

The ISBN is 9780373297450. $6.50 US/ $7.25 CAN

The back of the book reads:

SEDUCING THE CAPTAIN

It would be unwise to mistake me for an innocent
debutante-for years I have graced the smoky gloom
of many a billiards club and honed my skills at my father's side.

But now he has a new protege--Captain Greer Barrington--and while
my father would see me attract the attentions of an eligible lord I,
Mercedes Lockhart, have other ambitions....
Even if that means seducing the captain to earn back my father's favor!

I know I must avoid falling for Greer's charming smile...but his sensual
kisses could be worth the risk...

LADIES OF IMPROPRIETY
breaking society's rules

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Some of you know that I work in the receiving area of a large bookstore. Now everyone does.

At work, thousands and thousands of new books pass through my hands on a weekly basis. I've thought about passing along some new pool-related books from time to time. Up until now, I've only thought about it. Now I'm gonna try it.

So from now on, I'm going to try to pass along a pic in this thread of all the pool-related books I come across and their ISBN.

Be patient please. Sometimes I don't see anything pool-related for a long while, but I'll do my best to inform you guys.

Again, this will be new releases and first trade releases, new mass market books, etc. Hopefully, this thread benefits some of you guys and maybe even the authors too. :)

Big time Kudos to you ... fantastic idea and thanks for your efforts. Greenies on the way!!! :thumbup:

blah blah

Shoebat
Today I found a pool book for the ladies.

Titled "A Lady Risks All", it is a Harlequin release in their Historical romance category. It is from a short series called "Ladies of Impropriety". I'm not kidding.

These Series Romance books are changed every month, so get this title now or never.

The ISBN is 9780373297450. $6.50 US/ $7.25 CAN

The back of the book reads:

SEDUCING THE CAPTAIN

It would be unwise to mistake me for an innocent
debutante-for years I have graced the smoky gloom
of many a billiards club and honed my skills at my father's side.

But now he has a new protege--Captain Greer Barrington--and while
my father would see me attract the attentions of an eligible lord I,
Mercedes Lockhart, have other ambitions....
Even if that means seducing the captain to earn back my father's favor!

I know I must avoid falling for Greer's charming smile...but his sensual
kisses could be worth the risk...

LADIES OF IMPROPRIETY
breaking society's rules

Hilarious- please read it and tell us what you thought!

(I googled and found this article. So if the book is just too awful, make a drinking game out of it- you have to take a swig everytime the word "love" or "bride" is used.)

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
99 Critical Shot has Pictoores? Lots of em.

I know, thats why I bought it. I likes pictures. Actually, that was one of my better book store purchases. There is so much in it. I would say that this is one pool book that is a must have.

Well written, easy to understand and the diagrams are decent and also easy to follow.

Hey, if we're not popping in DVDs and such and you want to get back to the good ole days of actually cracking a good read, Then 99 is a keeper.

I think that as far as other non fiction pool books go, Danny Baseviches, Bobby Cotton's, Jay's and David McCumber's, Playing Off the Rail are all worth the price of admission. Bobby autographed mine so that one is staying with me as are the rest.

The above books will get you hooked and you won't put them down until you hit the end and will leave you asking for more.

The only other one that I have heard of is the Green Felt Jungle. It was offered to me for the price of postage and I turned it down.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice teen classic in nice new cover art. ISBN is 9780385375689.

Attachments

• 2014-03-24 21.28.32.jpg
    2014-03-24 21.28.32.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 740