The Biggest reason Lower level players can't improve ????

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does make a big difference when shooting and knowing you will make the ball, versus hoping you make it. Confidence is KING in this game. And add a good stroke and eyes aligned and you feel like you are walking on water :)

Now, go rob that 9 ball tourney ;)

True that! I watched the movie Moneyball for the first time a few nights ago. It was about using statistics to select pro baseball players for draft/trade. The movie portrayed that the old method used was a lot of psychological stuff. One example was a few of the decision makers wanted to draft a particular player. Then they decided against it because his gf was only a 6 on her best day, and that means the player doesn't have enough confidence to go for a hot girl, and hence not enough confidence to play pro ball. I was cracking up:)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
True that! I watched the movie Moneyball for the first time a few nights ago. It was about using statistics to select pro baseball players for draft/trade. The movie portrayed that the old method used was a lot of psychological stuff. One example was a few of the decision makers wanted to draft a particular player. Then they decided against it because his gf was only a 6 on her best day, and that means the player doesn't have enough confidence to go for a hot girl, and hence not enough confidence to play pro ball. I was cracking up:)

Money ball is a great movie :) now, get out there and see War Dogs :) lol

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It does make a big difference when shooting and knowing you will make the ball, versus hoping you make it. Confidence is KING in this game. And add a good stroke and eyes aligned and you feel like you are walking on water :)

Now, go rob that 9 ball tourney ;)

Confidence is important, the mental aspect of not giving up, when down. I would add consistancy & practice to build consistancy.

Pro player look like they are on auto pilot, but it is because Pool is the job that work at long hours.

Same with most profession athletes.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the room last night and signed up for the weekly tourney. During warmup, I was feeling really good and boasting to all my buddies I haven't seen in a year that I was going to win the whole tournament. They all laughed. Then I said bet 50. One guy took me up on it. I proceeded to lose my first match, bought back in, and lost the second! I then matched up with a guy (that I've known for 25 years) and he beat me pretty bad.

Well, I felt salty about the whole night, and went home. I still feel a bit salty, but also laughing about it now.

Anyway, I hope you all appreciate the entertainment:) I'll pick myself up and try again another day.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
To me "perfect aiming" is not a holy grail, it is a gimmick to sell something a lesson, or DVD. It is hype like some special secret suit, in the fable "the King Cloths", until some small child with no clue said your magistry your in you underwear. No he was not in I Visable suit only smart people could see.

Pool like most sports is a game of skill, if it was a game of tools, and gimmicks, the person who could afford a 20K Black Bore Cue would always win every Tournment they entered.

Truth is it is not the arrow, chalk, aiming system, or Cue that win tournments. Could be most skilled player, with House Cue because they have the most skills. NOT some gimmick.

Gimmick might help your game, but you already better have a good game to build upon, or it like doing C.P.R. On a dead person, no matter how long you go, the dead don't come back to life..

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to see your shooting well...

I drove up from Atlanta to Philly to my hometown to visit family a few days ago. Got out to the poolroom in Philly for the first time today. I played one hole with a guy I've been battling with since I was about 17 (I'm 42 now). He almost always beats me, sometimes even giving me 9-7 or so. Today we played even. We played 7 games. I lost one game when all was said and done. Much better than I normally do with him. We were playing on a one hole table. A GC4 with extended cushions. Very tight. I was firing in balls from everywhere. I had so much confidence, even shooting off the end rail into my hole. The balls simply hit center pocket. Balls I'd be 40% to make I was taking on and splitting the wicket. I didn't even care that I lost in the end, I was so impressed how straight I was shooting. I'm going to play in the weekly 9 ball handicapped tourney tomorrow night. I think its been about 15 years since I won it. I'll report back.

It sure is nice when this happens. The player is the one that can see this happening. Once the aiming is true you can really start focusing on the other crucial parts of the game. If you can hit exactly how much of the object ball you want to hit the cue ball just starts seeming to go where you want it to go.

It all works hand in hand. But if you miss the shot nothing works well. :thumbup:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me "perfect aiming" is not a holy grail, it is a gimmick to sell something a lesson, or DVD. It is hype like some special secret suit, in the fable "the King Cloths", until some small child with no clue said your magistry your in you underwear. No he was not in I Visable suit only smart people could see.

Pool like most sports is a game of skill, if it was a game of tools, and gimmicks, the person who could afford a 20K Black Bore Cue would always win every Tournment they entered.

Truth is it is not the arrow, chalk, aiming system, or Cue that win tournments. Could be most skilled player, with House Cue because they have the most skills. NOT some gimmick.

Gimmick might help your game, but you already better have a good game to build upon, or it like doing C.P.R. On a dead person, no matter how long you go, the dead don't come back to life..

Inn that the issue though? Teach people how to make shot. Turn into career.

Far as I can tell the demographic is zombies with money.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I went to the room last night and signed up for the weekly tourney. During warmup, I was feeling really good and boasting to all my buddies I haven't seen in a year that I was going to win the whole tournament. They all laughed. Then I said bet 50. One guy took me up on it. I proceeded to lose my first match, bought back in, and lost the second! I then matched up with a guy (that I've known for 25 years) and he beat me pretty bad.

Well, I felt salty about the whole night, and went home. I still feel a bit salty, but also laughing about it now.

Anyway, I hope you all appreciate the entertainment:) I'll pick myself up and try again another day.

There is a thin line between confidence and cocky, and u jumped over that line, took a giant dump in the middle of the room, and threw down a gauntlet.... so dial it back, a notch, maybe two. Lol

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Confidence is important, the mental aspect of not giving up, when down. I would add consistancy & practice to build consistancy.

Pro player look like they are on auto pilot, but it is because Pool is the job that work at long hours.

Same with most profession athletes.

I will agree with this, but mental is not just about not giving up when down. It’s keeping the same level of concentration on the hard shots as the easy shots, it’s watching the object ball every time, not taking ur eyes off to look at ur position or jumping up. it’s hitting ur finish on every stroke. Basically, folks get tired and their concentration goes down. It’s not easy, but u have to practice like u play, that means bear down for 30 minute practice versus 2 hours of just shooting balls.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Inn that the issue though? Teach people how to make shot. Turn into career.

Far as I can tell the demographic is zombies with money.

Well Pool for me recreation, I realized long ago if I want to be great at something their had to be a reward for the effort.

Few very few make a great living off Pool, those few are working 7 days a week practicing, hustling, playing tournments, and traveling around trying to eat a live out of some they LOVE.

Most Pool players are not that dedicated, plus Wil to pay that high price for being a. Pro-Pool Player.

At some point people wake up from dreams, and realize some things rewards, are not worth the effort to get rewards.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Pool for me recreation, I realized long ago if I want to be great at something their had to be a reward for the effort.

Few very few make a great living off Pool, those few are working 7 days a week practicing, hustling, playing tournments, and traveling around trying to eat a live out of some they LOVE.

Most Pool players are not that dedicated, plus Wil to pay that high price for being a. Pro-Pool Player.

At some point people wake up from dreams, and realize some things rewards, are not worth the effort to get rewards.

I'd bet the pool pro strata is populated by prisoners of the genre. Don't get me wrong. They're awesome to observe in the wild. I know better than to feed 'em though
I play pool to do pool. The wins are icing. The losses - who cares? I coulda won. :D

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I have been playing pool 60 years plus as it is fun, do not gamble, wise to do a weekly 9 BASLL Tournment that was $5.00 to enter, and splitting bar box fees. Fifty Cents a Game.

Never won more the $140.00 in a tournament, but was doing it until the fun stopped.

Few of even the best Pro Players make a decent living off Pool.

As it said in Willie Mosconi's Biography, Pool has never Ben as big as the year Willie was born, that year was 1913.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to see your shooting well...

It sure is nice when this happens. The player is the one that can see this happening. Once the aiming is true you can really start focusing on the other crucial parts of the game. If you can hit exactly how much of the object ball you want to hit the cue ball just starts seeming to go where you want it to go.

It all works hand in hand. But if you miss the shot nothing works well. 👍
Keep it up and keep working at it. Once a player understands how the whole process works it's just a matter of doing it and making it a habit. A habit to manually get everything as good as it can get. Stance in the preshot. Keep that look all the way down and be solid when your down and lock it in. Go thru the proper eye patterns. All these things plus more just don't happen naturally. If anyone thinks they do they got action with me even at 67 because I know they can't get there.

What you are experiencing is learning this 7 or 8 years ago. Relearning it again on skype which works just as well. Second time is usually a charm and things start to really happen. I'm really happy for you with what you are experiencing.
and practice them
Everytime we play though we need to go thru the progression of the learned manual adjustment and practice them for 5 minutes or so before we play for real.

Your on your way my friend. Enjoy the ride.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
It sure is easy to get lazy. I noticed myself getting lazy on the aiming system, I was making lots of balls so, maybe I didn't have to think about this stuff anymore. I was wrong. A couple weeks of being lazy had me missing balls that I knew should have went. It really confused me because I had got used to these "hard" shots becoming second nature. o_O I first did the lazy thing and made excuses, maybe the cloth was getting slow, maybe the table wasn't level anymore. A quick check with the starrett told me the only thing out of level was between my ears. I got my butt in gear and started following the system again and those balls started dropping in the pockets. Glad to know perfect aim still works even if you get lazy for a few weeks. Thanks Gene!

Now if only there was a permanent cure for laziness! :LOL:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I wound up cross town yesterday, wait for care to be services, started re-read Ray Martin Book - 99 Critical Shots in Pool. I tended to re-read everything that I think is a great work. I never absorbe the full book or movie on first time throw it.

Always read every page so it was at the starting at start. With in the first 10 page or so Ray going into this little explaination of aiming, Ray was a player with history of winning. Good simple explaing of Ray's system.

Book can be snagge pre-owned under user $8.00, New $12.00-$15.00. I would call it the BEST BASIC Advance Pool Instructional Book I have come accross.

Why?

East to read & comprehend, illustrations, and plan language are easy for almost any one to understand. Think if you were to master, 95% of the book you would be a pretty good level advanced player.

Most of use have phones, with video capability, you could use to film your practice, and see your goof on form, stroke, grip. If you honest with what you video, you can self critique & correct goofs.

There was one funny line I read where, lady ask a guy in NYC who is carrying a Violin Case. She asks how do you get to Cargnie Hall (the great music hall). Guy with case replies-PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Though that was funny.

What to be great at anything PRACTICE is KEY.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the book and aside from GB caroms and some simple aiming techniques, I abandoned it because it didn't address any pool issues. I found Fel's Mastering Pool much more practical and enlightening.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have the book and aside from GB caroms and some simple aiming techniques, I abandoned it because it didn't address any pool issues. I found Fel's Mastering Pool much more practical and enlightening.

Well Aiming System are like Cowboy Boots, everyone foot is different. My brand is Noconas, no other fit out of the box as well on my feet.

Find something that works for you, refine it practice what work best for you personally. Just do not believe their is some MAGIC GIMIC like Chalk made in Black Forest out of Secret Tree Bark that will make you a work class player. That is just someone trying to take your money who is a great salesperson.

I love the people seizing get rich real estate systems, like buy, and flipping home for profit. I wonder why they do not hire people to do this for them, pay a decent wage, and pocket the profits. Reason they figured out people will buy book, or course about their secret system. The real money is in selling their secrets, and most who buy fail.

They do not do what is nessessary to win in the game, of flipping.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Aiming System are like Cowboy Boots, everyone foot is different. My brand is Noconas, no other fit out of the box as well on my feet.

Find something that works for you, refine it practice what work best for you personally. Just do not believe their is some MAGIC GIMIC like Chalk made in Black Forest out of Secret Tree Bark that will make you a work class player. That is just someone trying to take your money who is a great salesperson.

I love the people seizing get rich real estate systems, like buy, and flipping home for profit. I wonder why they do not hire people to do this for them, pay a decent wage, and pocket the profits. Reason they figured out people will buy book, or course about their secret system. The real money is in selling their secrets, and most who buy fail.

They do not do what is nessessary to win in the game, of flipping.
You know I still can't determine the biggest reason lower level players can't improve. It's right up there with the origin of existence.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sure is easy to get lazy. I noticed myself getting lazy on the aiming system, I was making lots of balls so, maybe I didn't have to think about this stuff anymore. I was wrong. A couple weeks of being lazy had me missing balls that I knew should have went. It really confused me because I had got used to these "hard" shots becoming second nature. o_O I first did the lazy thing and made excuses, maybe the cloth was getting slow, maybe the table wasn't level anymore. A quick check with the starrett told me the only thing out of level was between my ears. I got my butt in gear and started following the system again and those balls started dropping in the pockets. Glad to know perfect aim still works even if you get lazy for a few weeks. Thanks Gene!

Now if only there was a permanent cure for laziness! :LOL:
Lazy is a good word for it. Can you imagine if you are in a war and you get lazy and don't line up the sights and make sure it is on the target especially if they are shooting back at you.

On the pool table they are shooting back at you.

I do the same thing. We have a 9 ball tournament every Friday night. $20 entry. Race to 3 on the winners side and 2 on the losers.

I got lazy with my second set. Knowing what was going on I just got lined up on a few shots between matches and got back on track.

Now being on the losers side, race to 2 there is no room for error. 28 players I think I missed one ball the rest of the night. Played allot of safes. Race to 2 you really need to play old school 8 ball and not sell out.

But you explained it Perfectly. By not taking the time to get things correct manually your right back in the same boat you were before Perfect Aim.

Once you know exactly how this works my friend you own it.

My favorite phrase is,,,,,,If they only knew. Fits Perfect Aim pretty good. If they only knew.........

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I wound up cross town yesterday, wait for care to be services, started re-read Ray Martin Book - 99 Critical Shots in Pool. I tended to re-read everything that I think is a great work. I never absorbe the full book or movie on first time throw it.

Always read every page so it was at the starting at start. With in the first 10 page or so Ray going into this little explaination of aiming, Ray was a player with history of winning. Good simple explaing of Ray's system.

Book can be snagge pre-owned under user $8.00, New $12.00-$15.00. I would call it the BEST BASIC Advance Pool Instructional Book I have come accross.

Why?

East to read & comprehend, illustrations, and plan language are easy for almost any one to understand. Think if you were to master, 95% of the book you would be a pretty good level advanced player.

Most of use have phones, with video capability, you could use to film your practice, and see your goof on form, stroke, grip. If you honest with what you video, you can self critique & correct goofs.

There was one funny line I read where, lady ask a guy in NYC who is carrying a Violin Case. She asks how do you get to Cargnie Hall (the great music hall). Guy with case replies-PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Though that was funny.

What to be great at anything PRACTICE is KEY.

First time I read 99 shots I kinda blew through it. I made a mistake equating price with value and the book was cheap compared to most instructional material. Reading through it here and there and there is a lot of gold in there that I missed the first time. Enough stuff I learned the hard way that I know there is more to be found. Things he mentions in passing are big to lower level players. I read the book a bit closer and find things that I paid several years to learn.

You have to read the book with the idea that every sentence is important or a lot of pool goodness will slide right past you. There is a lot in the book I did know already, a lot I didn't too, or had forgotten.

I have the second edition and my only complaint is that it is very hard to see which are the gray balls and which the black. The words are pure gold, the diagrams sometimes a little confusing. For under twenty bucks shipped to your door there is a ton of pool goodness in this book though. Everyone should have it on their shelf.

A bit off topic for the thread but then again the thread title is misleading. Many lower level players can and do improve. What is more, there are almost endless paths to getting good at pool.

Hu