"The Bucket List of Pool"

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
A couple of months ago I saw the movie "The Bucket List", starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. For those of you who haven't seen it, the story is about two totally different guys sharing a room at the hospital, both with limited time left to live. They decide to put up a list of things to do before they die, and since one of the guys is a multi-millionaire the rest of the movie is about watching these two guys doing the things on the their list.

So, since I now have spent almost 6 days on the hospital, I got to think about that movie again, and thought it could be fun to make such a list for pool-related things I wanted to do in my life. (Reason for being at hospital: I had some problems with my teeth, and went to the dentist. He was obviously jealous of my nearly perfect look, and I think he tried to poison me, because the next days I could barely talk, breathe or eat anything, my mouth and throat grew 10 times bigger. I went in total 5 days with no food, just small sips of water. (I look slim now). Went back to the dentist on Friday, and he sent me directly to the hospital. I got an operation just 15 minutes after walking in to the hospital, because there was a major risk that I could end up with not breathing at all, and they assured me that I wouldn't want that. Have stayed at the hospital since, for observation, not allowed to leave the bed, but I am heading home tomorrow. For further explanations I will need to use a dictionary, and that ain't gonna happen, so that's my hospital-story. I was feeling bad, feeling better now, everything ok :)

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to read what others here on AZbilliards would like to add to such a "Bucket list". It could be either a tournament, poolhall etc that you would like to visit, a certain player/players that you would like to play or gamble against, have dinner with, or it could simply be personal goals that you are eager to achieve before racking the balls for the last time.

During my short time involved in pool, about 8 years total, I have already had the pleasure of playing lots of the top players and legends in the world, including Efren Reyes, Roberto Gomez, Ralf Souquet, Niels Feijen and Thorsten Hohmann, too name a few, joined the qualifiers at the World 9-ball Championships, played on the Eurotour, been a spectator for the World and European Championships, organized large international tournaments, been national coach for Norway Youth etc.

But there's still so much more to do, so much more to see. Here's my list, so far. Hope to add a lot more, inspired by the list of others here. (My list is in no particular order)

1. Have lunch with, and then play some cheap 9-ball ringgame, with Earl Strickland and Keith McCready.
2. Attend Derby City Classic
3. Attend US Open 9-ball Championship
4. Represent Norway in the European Championship
5. Run a 100 in 14-1 (hopefully get it on tape)
6. Become Norwegian 9-ball Champion
7. Stay a month "on the road" in USA. (like a vacation, driving from poolhall to poolhall, gamble, play tournaments)
8. Visit Chinese Taipei to compare it to the Philippines
9. Organize and promote the largest pooltournament in the world. (It's a dream I have had for many years, but the IPT just made it a little bit harder to achieve. But one day!)
 

Razorback Randy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty cool list. Hope you get to feeling better. I have only be playing a few years now so my list is not as impressive.

1) Run 3 racks of 9 ball in a row
2) Make the money in a Fast Eddies 9-ball tour event
3) Play Double's with Efren, SVB, and Django
 

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Great thread idea (though I'm concerned that playing in Betmore's Basement has not appeared on any lists so far....hmmmm...maybe I need dancing girls to attract more play....).

Here's mine (in no particular order):

1. Pool day in New York City - 14.1 game with Steve Lipsky, Danny Barouty, Tony Robles, and sjm.

2. Qualify for the 14.1 World Championship.

3. Win one of the Vegas BCA events.

4. A day each with an AZB'er in Norway, Finland, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, and the Phillippines.

5. Run 100 in straight pool.

6. A few games with dmgwalsh at the Illinois Billiard Club.

7. At least one lesson with Ray Martin and Dallas West.

8. One-pocket lesson with Efren Reyes and Danny DiLiberto (hopefully together, hopefully 2009 just before or after DCC...I'll post when details have been finalized).

9. Two weeks in Korea with 2 very well known Korean players (I'll take some antacid just in case.....that food is SPICY).

10. Betmore Cup match with Mark Griffin (he's ducked me so far....I understand his fear).

11. Pass the PAT3 test (haven't tried it yet).

12. Groove my stroke to a point where Mark Wilson and Jerry Briesath will not be totally mortified when people find out they gave me lessons.
 

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Updated my list...

#10 has the highest priority of them all, of course! (But make sure to contact those dancing girls!)

1. Have lunch with, and then play some cheap 9-ball ringgame, with Earl Strickland and Keith McCready.
2. Attend Derby City Classic
3. Attend US Open 9-ball Championship
4. Represent Norway in the European Championship
5. Run a 100 in 14-1 (hopefully get it on tape)
6. Become Norwegian 9-ball Champion
7. Stay a month "on the road" in USA. (like a vacation, driving from poolhall to poolhall, gamble, play tournaments)
8. Visit Chinese Taipei to compare it to the Philippines
9. Organize and promote the largest pooltournament in the world. (It's a dream I have had for many years, but the IPT just made it a little bit harder to achieve. But one day!)
10. Visit Betmore's Basement! (And walk out as winner in a race to 200 14-1 match)
11. Get a week with one-pocket/bank lessons from Billy Incardona and Freddy the Beard
 

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Play pool with Nick Varner for a week
1 on 1 lessons with Lil Joe V. and Stan Shuffett
Win a singles BCA or VNEA event in Vegas. Got to finish in top 10% this year
Top 10 in DCC banks
Play and finish in top 10 in US Open
Play in the Reno tourneys
Run 100 in 14.1
Run 15 at banks
Run 5 straight racks at 9 ball
Achieve a repeatable stroke every time
Become disciplined in my practice
Playing a ring game with SVB, Efren, Alcano, Earl and Busta and get the cash! (Pipe dream)
Getting back to Indy for a rematch with Williebetmore!
Many others but these are a great start!
 

cajunbarboxplyr

Beatem down wit a Varney
Silver Member
Good thread!

1. Play in U.S. Open
2. Play at Derby City
3. Go on Road for like a month or 2
4. Shatter a Cueball on the break
5. Meet and play BarBox 9Ball with McCready with the Big Ball :D
6. Talk Philosophy with Earl Strickland *oopsie on typo*
7. Hit some Crablegs with SVB
8. Own 1 Bushka, Shick, and Scruggs
9. Own a Diamond Pro-am with Procut Pockets and a Diamond BarBox with procut pockets
10. Play Disco in a race to 30 on a barbox on TAR
11. Take all of Tanners V-cash
12. Get in the booth with TAR
13. Spend a week with Mike Sigel on fundementals
14. Steal Hillbilly's thunder and become World Known for the hardest break in pool!
15. Watch JoeyA win a World 1 Pocket title :D
16. Run 5 racks of 9ball and 10 ball in a row
17. Run 100 in 14.1 !!!

Ok thas bout all i can think of at the moment :p
 
Last edited:

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Roy, Great thread hope you feel better soon.

Williebetmore if you want a lesson with Dallas West he does give lessons and I think his rate is $100 a hour. Since your in Indiana thats not too far.

My list is pretty short

1- Get my pool room setup in my Garage with a Nice Gold Crown
2- Get good enough to compete at a high level
3- 100 ball run at 14.1
 

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roy Steffensen said:
A couple of months ago I saw the movie "The Bucket List", starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. For those of you who haven't seen it, the story is about two totally different guys sharing a room at the hospital, both with limited time left to live. They decide to put up a list of things to do before they die, and since one of the guys is a multi-millionaire the rest of the movie is about watching these two guys doing the things on the their list.

So, since I now have spent almost 6 days on the hospital, I got to think about that movie again, and thought it could be fun to make such a list for pool-related things I wanted to do in my life. (Reason for being at hospital: I had some problems with my teeth, and went to the dentist. He was obviously jealous of my nearly perfect look, and I think he tried to poison me, because the next days I could barely talk, breathe or eat anything, my mouth and throat grew 10 times bigger. I went in total 5 days with no food, just small sips of water. (I look slim now). Went back to the dentist on Friday, and he sent me directly to the hospital. I got an operation just 15 minutes after walking in to the hospital, because there was a major risk that I could end up with not breathing at all, and they assured me that I wouldn't want that. Have stayed at the hospital since, for observation, not allowed to leave the bed, but I am heading home tomorrow. For further explanations I will need to use a dictionary, and that ain't gonna happen, so that's my hospital-story. I was feeling bad, feeling better now, everything ok :)

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to read what others here on AZbilliards would like to add to such a "Bucket list". It could be either a tournament, poolhall etc that you would like to visit, a certain player/players that you would like to play or gamble against, have dinner with, or it could simply be personal goals that you are eager to achieve before racking the balls for the last time.

During my short time involved in pool, about 8 years total, I have already had the pleasure of playing lots of the top players and legends in the world, including Efren Reyes, Roberto Gomez, Ralf Souquet, Niels Feijen and Thorsten Hohmann, too name a few, joined the qualifiers at the World 9-ball Championships, played on the Eurotour, been a spectator for the World and European Championships, organized large international tournaments, been national coach for Norway Youth etc.

But there's still so much more to do, so much more to see. Here's my list, so far. Hope to add a lot more, inspired by the list of others here. (My list is in no particular order)

1. Have lunch with, and then play some cheap 9-ball ringgame, with Earl Strickland and Keith McCready.
2. Attend Derby City Classic
3. Attend US Open 9-ball Championship
4. Represent Norway in the European Championship
5. Run a 100 in 14-1 (hopefully get it on tape)
6. Become Norwegian 9-ball Champion
7. Stay a month "on the road" in USA. (like a vacation, driving from poolhall to poolhall, gamble, play tournaments)
8. Visit Chinese Taipei to compare it to the Philippines
9. Organize and promote the largest pooltournament in the world. (It's a dream I have had for many years, but the IPT just made it a little bit harder to achieve. But one day!)


1. To feel like I'm 30 again.
2. To feel like I'm 30 again.
3. To feel like I'm 30 again.
4. To feel like I'm 30 again.
5. To feel like I"m 30 again.
7. To feel like I'm 30 again.
8. To feel like I'm 30 again.
9. To feel like I'm 30 again.
10. To have my wife catch me in the act with Eva Longorio.
6. To feel like I'm 30 again.
 

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
ironman said:
1. To feel like I'm 30 again.
2. To feel like I'm 30 again.
3. To feel like I'm 30 again.
4. To feel like I'm 30 again.
5. To feel like I"m 30 again.
7. To feel like I'm 30 again.
8. To feel like I'm 30 again.
9. To feel like I'm 30 again.
10. To have my wife catch me in the act with Eva Longorio.
6. To feel like I'm 30 again.

Amen to that. I would move #10 back to #1. Johnnyt
 

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Great thread idea (though I'm concerned that playing in Betmore's Basement has not appeared on any lists so far....hmmmm...maybe I need dancing girls to attract more play....).

Here's mine (in no particular order):
...
4. A day each with an AZB'er in Norway, Finland, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, and the Phillippines.
...

OK, I like the dancing girls idea, but you did yourself no favours with item 4 missing Canada :mad: .... even so ....

1 - Play at betmore's basement and say "eh" at the start and end of every comment I make (and I talk a lot eh), drink all his booze, and eat as much of his food as I can (don't worry willie, I'm a light eater)

2 - Attend a major tournament and meet some AZers and jarmy folks

3 - Play a bit of pool with Supergreenman (this one might actually happen someday, I hope)

4 - Play a bit of pool with about 40 other AZers that might be willing to spend time with someone like myself (that's a tough one, methinks)

5 - Own a custom cue that I help define/design

6 - Pot a ball

7 - Take up 3C on a proper carom table, thereby making #6 moot

I'll be happy with #6.

Dave
 

Texas Prez

Hook'em...Enough Said
Silver Member
My List is a little different than most here...but hopefully you will hear about some of these in the next 20 years!!

1. Put together an National Collegiate Tournament and get it broadcasted by ESPN or a sports affiliate

2. Win the above mentioned tournament next year or the following

3. Go on to work for BCA, APA, ESPN, ACUI, or NCAA to help get Billiards the respect it deserves here in the United States

4. Work with the above mentioned organizations to unify Billiards in America and get all US Billiard Organizations on the same page

5. Go on to work with the World Billiards Organization to get Billiards to become an Olympic Sport (It is already a recognized sport by the IOC, we just need to push for that final goal!)

6. Win TAP Team Nationals in November

7. Win TAP Singles in November

8. Run into pretty much any pro and end up playing them for fun only to realize that I am better which leads me to become pro (hypothetical list...come on now)

9. Play Mika Immonen in a televised finals match

10. Put an Olhausen Champion Pro in my future house and teach my future kids and watch them become better than me

- Not quite a bucket list but still an important list to me nonetheless . .great thread!! :)
 

the9ballroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my list

I too just got out of the hospital...and hopefully on the road to recovery.

Long story short, I had a collison with a forklift and it won.

My list:

1. Play pool and get lessons from Jeanette Lee.
2. Cure my pool cue addiction.
3. Be the best wheelchair pool player in the world...and then go on to be ranked in the top ten among walking pool players.

Short list eh? *wink*
Roller
 

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
1. Nike pool sponsorship.
2. Coca-cola sponsorship.
3. Relax.

I figure if I can get the first two, a lot of other things I would have put on the list will have been achieved :D

-s
 

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
1. Win a World Championships
2. Compete in the UAE World 8-Ball Championships (representing USA)
3. Produce a cue line of my designs and standards (ala Ben Hogan golf)
4. Travel to and compete in the Phillipines (pool mecca).
5. Organize and produce my own international billiards competition (presented the way I believe it should be).
6. Spend 6 months to a year in Europe and put the smack down on the EuroTour!
7. Produce and direct a film - centered around billiards/players.
8. Hug and kiss BallBreakers Cutie Adrianne Curry (as long as the wife allows it :frown: ). I'll kick Peter Brady's ass if he has a problem with it!
9. Learn Tagalog and spend months on end picking Efren's brain.
10. Prove to the world that Billiards is a sport and see it through to the Olympics!
 

Tim-n-NM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. play sjm some 14.1
2. play in the betmore basement. (and just look at the cup)
3. Go to the PI and see what all the talk us about.
4. A few rounds of golf with earl strickland.
5. Meet JAM and play a little with Keith on a barbox.
6. Hang out at the DCC.(this will happen)
7. A few hours with Lil Joe.
 
Last edited:

tksix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is mine in no specific order...................

1) win a national amateur championship
2) own a Bushka and Szamboti
3) run 100 balls in 14.1
4) run a century break in snooker
5) run a 10 in 3-cushion
6) be able to concentrate when there are short skirts around a pool table

Hope you feel better!
 
Last edited:

Texas Prez

Hook'em...Enough Said
Silver Member
tksix said:
Here is mine in no specific order...................

1) win a national amateur championship
2) own a Bushka and Szamboti
3) run 100 balls in 14.1
4) run a century break in snooker
5) run a 10 in 3-cushion
6) be able to concentrate when there are short skirts around a pool table

#6 depends on what you are concentrating on
 
Top