The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well shoot.

You have to look no further than Mosconi himself. When he went into the stack his CB was amazing -- it had so much juice on it that many witnesses testified that it was amazing to watch his CB power into the stack and muscle its way through, almost repeatedly stopping and starting as it went through all 14 balls.

But beyond that there will always be numerous occasions when a player has to juice and stroke a ball, just as one example, to come off the end rail to either go around the table or into the stack.

I thought a 163 ball runner like you would know all that, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

gerryf

Earl's runs on day 5
1641087474811.png
1641087458896.png
He ran 34 innings.
Total balls sunk 1226
High run is 238

His 10-inning average topped out at 74.5 BPI, but then he had a bunch of poor runs and at the end of the day he's at 20.5 BPI.
Nits to pick:

a. the rack counter was not reset after inning 13, so the count on inning 14 is off by one. That run was 141 not 155.

b. the video for day 4 is labelled day 3
c. the video for day 5 is labelled day 4

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl has the ability to run many hundreds, but I am not sure he has the personality or patience to bear down and play a “simpler” game.

He puts way too many miles on the cue ball when all he would have to do is pay more attention to the simpler patterns and keep his cue ball under a shorter string.

I love watching him play a “power” game, but I don’t think it is conducive to achieving the highest run he is capable of.

He goes around the table more times on one rack than the old-school players did in ten racks.

I hope he runs a million, but I think he is going to have to “modify” his game somewhat in order to put up really high numbers.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well shoot.

You have to look no further than Mosconi himself. When he went into the stack his CB was amazing -- it had so much juice on it that many witnesses testified that it was amazing to watch his CB power into the stack and muscle its way through, almost repeatedly stopping and starting as it went through all 14 balls.

But beyond that there will always be numerous occasions when a player has to juice and stroke a ball, just as one example, to come off the end rail to either go around the table or into the stack.

I thought a 163 ball runner like you would know all that, lol.

Lou Figueroa
That's not the juicing I'm referring, thats breaking to rack to continue running balls. Hell, I played a guy from NY named NY Mark that broke the rack in a way I'd never dreamed of before. He only had a slight angle off the break ball that he'd be lucky to even disturb the rack let alone break it out, the cue ballnwas only about 8" from the break ball as it was. To my surprise, he jacked up his cue, shot the break ball in, and JUMPED the cue ball up into the air, landing it on the side of the rack, breaking it out.

The Juiceing I'm talking about is playing 3 rail shots to get position in the next ball, excessive draw to try and break the rack, or get positioned for the next shot. All the extra moving the cue ball all over the table because he don't know how to play out the patterns to avoid moving the cue ball so much. The more you send that cue ball all over the place the better your chances of scratching. Being a shot maker works for playing 9 or 10b, but having to be a shot maker in 14.1 is a sure sign of NOT being able to read the patterns in the rack as to run the rack with the least amount of cue ball travel as possible. Earl's JUICING the cue ball everywhere might impress you, but it don't for me. His running racks like a BULL IN A CHINA SHOP is not going to get him the HIGH runs you and everyone else thinks he capable of, just watch and see

tomatoshooter

It would be interesting to track how much guys move the cue ball. I'm sure there's some software that can automatically follow the ball and tell us how many miles it travels. If they can do it for home runs I'm sure they can do it for a cue ball.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be interesting to track how much guys move the cue ball. I'm sure there's some software that can automatically follow the ball and tell us how many miles it travels. If they can do it for home runs I'm sure they can do it for a cue ball.
How do you figure? You can't play pool on a baseball field.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You made a good call on the 250, and it was close. Truly I'm hoping Earl
passes JS's 626 but my neighbor ragged me with the exact number 250, so I had to bet today against it. lol
I look forward to tomorrow!
Before he has any chance of passing JS's 626, hope and pray he can at LEAST pass Ruslan and Shane's posted high runs, if not, he's pulling up dead last place so far, and don't have a shot in hell of passing JS😅

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Before he has any chance of passing JS's 626, hope and pray he can at LEAST pass Ruslan and Shane's posted high runs, if not, he's pulling up dead last place so far, and don't have a shot in hell of passing JS😅
Man, I’m not a fan of Earl’s antics, but you’ve got a real boner for the guy. Why so much targeted aggression? Nearly every single comment from you has just been non-constructive criticism. “Pffff, he can’t “even” run 200 on the first day. HAH! His 200 happened over TWO days!! Fine, he had a 200 in one day, but he can’t even beat SVB and Ruslan!!”

Dude is 60 years old and putting on a show for us. Apparently you get off on shitting on a legend of the game who is past his prime and still entertaining the crowds. If that’s the case, this is the perfect free entertainment for you. You could at least thank the organizers for giving you that.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Earl has the ability to put down as many balls as anyone on the planet if he could get in the right frame of mind and concentrate for the time it took.

He doesn’t “map the table” in his mind like the old-school, full-time 14.1 players did before they started dissecting the racks.

He has lots of ability to make almost any shot on the table and thinks he can “shoot” his way out of trouble instead of taking the time to make the proper shot selection and solve the puzzle, piece by piece.

He sometimes takes out obvious break balls unnecessarily and then tries to bump other balls later in order to create a new break ball.

His mind is racing too fast and he hurries the game.

That is his style, but I don’t think it is conducive to really high runs. He may run several back-to-back 100s, but his fast pace prevents him from keeping them together for one continuous long run.

Last edited: