The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

Softail Rider

Registered
That's not the juicing I'm referring, thats breaking to rack to continue running balls. Hell, I played a guy from NY named NY Mark that broke the rack in a way I'd never dreamed of before. He only had a slight angle off the break ball that he'd be lucky to even disturb the rack let alone break it out, the cue ballnwas only about 8" from the break ball as it was. To my surprise, he jacked up his cue, shot the break ball in, and JUMPED the cue ball up into the air, landing it on the side of the rack, breaking it out.

The Juiceing I'm talking about is playing 3 rail shots to get position in the next ball, excessive draw to try and break the rack, or get positioned for the next shot. All the extra moving the cue ball all over the table because he don't know how to play out the patterns to avoid moving the cue ball so much. The more you send that cue ball all over the place the better your chances of scratching. Being a shot maker works for playing 9 or 10b, but having to be a shot maker in 14.1 is a sure sign of NOT being able to read the patterns in the rack as to run the rack with the least amount of cue ball travel as possible. Earl's JUICING the cue ball everywhere might impress you, but it don't for me. His running racks like a BULL IN A CHINA SHOP is not going to get him the HIGH runs you and everyone else thinks he capable of, just watch and see
Lets see a video of you playing a rack!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Lets see a video of you playing a rack!
I'm 65, haven't played since 1990, I work in pool tables, but I know a 14.1 player when I see one, and Earl is NOT one. If this event is supposed to find a player that can BREAK JS's record, good luck going about it they way its heading, its a waste of time showcasing players that can't play 14.1.

Even the HUGE corner pockets couldn't help Earl, its sad that his inability to run racks can impress you so much, you must not know much about 14.1 either, which just goes along with most of the crowd anyway. At the rate this event is going, it might finally have a player break a 400+ run in the next 10 years!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl's runs on day 5
View attachment 622464View attachment 622462
He ran 34 innings.
Total balls sunk 1226
High run is 238

His 10-inning average topped out at 74.5 BPI, but then he had a bunch of poor runs and at the end of the day he's at 20.5 BPI.
Nits to pick:

a. the rack counter was not reset after inning 13, so the count on inning 14 is off by one. That run was 141 not 155.

b. the video for day 4 is labelled day 3
c. the video for day 5 is labelled day 4
15 runs of 100+, 7 runs of 150+, and 2 runs of 218+. Not too shabby for a 60 year old!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I'm 65, haven't played since 1990, I work in pool tables, but I know a 14.1 player when I see one, and Earl is NOT one. If this event is supposed to find a player that can BREAK JS's record, good luck going about it they way its heading, its a waste of time showcasing players that can't play 14.1.

Even the HUGE corner pockets couldn't help Earl, its sad that his inability to run racks can impress you so much, you must not know much about 14.1 either, which just goes along with most of the crowd anyway. At the rate this event is going, it might finally have a player break a 400+ run in the next 10 years!

Inability to run racks?
How big of an ass do you intend to make of yourself here lol?

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl's runs on day 5
View attachment 622464View attachment 622462
He ran 34 innings.
Total balls sunk 1226
High run is 238

His 10-inning average topped out at 74.5 BPI, but then he had a bunch of poor runs and at the end of the day he's at 20.5 BPI.
Nits to pick:

a. the rack counter was not reset after inning 13, so the count on inning 14 is off by one. That run was 141 not 155.

b. the video for day 4 is labelled day 3
c. the video for day 5 is labelled day 4
His top number is trending up each day..I am still hopeful he puts up some bigger numbers. 300+ would be great!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They should let you have a go at this event. You are a "World Champion Table Mechanic" and often a "World Class Ass Clown" too. That makes you very qualified to enter in my book.

Bobby would you grant him entry?

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Earl needs a timer.

Not a timer to speed him up, but one to slow him down.

He is literally shooting some shots in just a couple seconds after his previous shot.

He likes to shoot fast and gets a rhythm going, but sometimes he out dances the music.

He is shooting so many power shots in such a short period that he “pulls up” on quite a few of the shots he is trying to “baby”. That has caused him to shoot several balls that failed to even reach the pocket.

I hope he slows down his pace, but Earl operates on a different frequency than most of the other great players.

Go, Earl, go!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Earl needs a timer.

Not a timer to speed him up, but one to slow him down.

He is literally shooting some shots in just a couple seconds after his previous shot.

He likes to shoot fast and gets a rhythm going, but sometimes he out dances the music.

He is shooting so many power shots in such a short period that he “pulls up” on quite a few of the shots he is trying to “baby”. That has caused him to shoot several balls that failed to even reach the pocket.

I hope he slows down his pace, but Earl operates on a different frequency than most of the other great players.

Go, Earl, go!

(y)

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
They should let you have a go at this event. You are a "World Champion Table Mechanic" and often a "World Class Ass Clown" too. That makes you very qualified to enter in my book.

Bobby would you grant him entry?
I have a committee that votes on the players to participate so I'm only 1 vote, however he can just go find a table anywhere and post videos to you all to look at. I'm busy enough not to deal with him. A player does have to have a Sanctioned World Tournament to participate and I don't think World Champion Ass Clown or table mechanic as you say will get a single vote but I will ask the committee members anyways.. He sure is a hateful old person for no reasons. Maybe he wet the bedsheets in his van and just needs to start wearing a diaper.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a committee that votes on the players to participate so I'm only 1 vote, however he can just go find a table anywhere and post videos to you all to look at. I'm busy enough not to deal with him. A player does have to have a Sanctioned World Tournament to participate and I don't think World Champion Ass Clown or table mechanic as you say will get a single vote but I will ask the committee members anyways.. He sure is a hateful old person for no reasons. Maybe he wet the bedsheets in his van and just needs to start wearing a diaper.
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Keep it up amigo! I love what you are doing here for our benefit.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member

So in one post you’ve insulted the event, Earl, and the readers of this thread. I didn’t realize this was the official ‘belittle people’ post. In that case:

If this event is such a threat to your giant JS erection, why don’t you go back to revolutionizing the world of billiards by pouring blue dye into cans of glue, playing with spinny things on top of other spinny things, and making up proverbs that make no sense. Actually, I think the one you’re most proud of, it being pinned to the back of some door in the Diamond head office, could probably be applied to your animosity on this thread: “Difficult tasks are made easier by people who don’t do them.” If that wasn’t it exactly, it was something similarly nonsensical.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have enjoyed watching Earl play. He's just so different to everybody else in everything. He has a huge javelin with a 14mm tip for a pool cue. He plays quick and with a lot of flair. He's up there in years but it doesn't show at all, he plays quick and keeps his pace consistent for a long time. If people still played rotation the way he does, I'd watch a lot more pool.

I also would like for him to do well, so I think maybe he should revise his pattern strategy somewhat. There are just too many moving parts in his machine to sustain for 500+ balls in my opinion. I'd be really impressed if he could break 400 his way, but I kind of doubt that is possible.

Last edited:

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I have enjoyed watching Earl play. He's just so different to everybody else in everything. He has a huge javelin with a 14mm tip for a pool cue. He plays quick and with a lot of flair. He's up there in years but it doesn't show at all, he plays quick and keeps his pace consistent for a long time. If people still played rotation the way he does, I'd watch a lot more pool.

I also would like for him to do well, so I think maybe he should revise his pattern strategy somewhat. There are just too many moving parts in his machine to sustain for 500+ balls in my opinion. I'd be really impressed if he could break 400 his way, but I kind of doubt that is possible.

I’ve also enjoyed watching him, despite the frustration sometimes. I haven’t been playing 14.1 for very long, and I have no one to play with, so all my knowledge has come from watching stellar examples of straight pool on YouTube. As such, I’ve set extremely high standards for myself in terms of finding a perfect break ball, key ball, etc. Watching Earl has made me realize that sometimes, it’s okay to not be perfect, that’s it better to give yourself a chance by playing off three rails to get on a break ball, or to leave yourself a non-traditional break ball, than doggedly strive for “perfection” and fail.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

15 runs of 100+, 7 runs of 150+, and 2 runs of 218+. Not too shabby for a 60 year old!
You are right Earl cant play 14.1 at all.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not the juicing I'm referring, thats breaking to rack to continue running balls. Hell, I played a guy from NY named NY Mark that broke the rack in a way I'd never dreamed of before. He only had a slight angle off the break ball that he'd be lucky to even disturb the rack let alone break it out, the cue ballnwas only about 8" from the break ball as it was. To my surprise, he jacked up his cue, shot the break ball in, and JUMPED the cue ball up into the air, landing it on the side of the rack, breaking it out.

The Juiceing I'm talking about is playing 3 rail shots to get position in the next ball, excessive draw to try and break the rack, or get positioned for the next shot. All the extra moving the cue ball all over the table because he don't know how to play out the patterns to avoid moving the cue ball so much. The more you send that cue ball all over the place the better your chances of scratching. Being a shot maker works for playing 9 or 10b, but having to be a shot maker in 14.1 is a sure sign of NOT being able to read the patterns in the rack as to run the rack with the least amount of cue ball travel as possible. Earl's JUICING the cue ball everywhere might impress you, but it don't for me. His running racks like a BULL IN A CHINA SHOP is not going to get him the HIGH runs you and everyone else thinks he capable of, just watch and see

Every decent 14.1 player knows about aerial bombing the rack with a jacked up cue.

And sometimes, because none of us is Mosconi, three rails is the best way to come up on a ball when you've left yourself too much angle on a cut shot. And sometimes a power draw to break up a cluster is the smart way to go because A. You'll have a safety ball you can use and, B. You'll be sending balls into an open area of the table and not creating more congestion.

Of course a 163 ball runner like you would know all that.

Lou Figueroa

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not for nothing, but I remember watching Earl play the National 14.1 tournament in the early 2000’s. I believe I saw him at another 14.1 tournament in the northeast, but they all blend together.

Although he did shoot relatively more long shots than the old guard with ease, he played 14.1 the “right way.” His 14.1 game was awesome and beautiful. I don’t recall him shooting one bank shot in the 5 or 6 tournament matches I watched, for example, unlike Ginky, Efren or even Jeanette. He didn’t hit his break shots at warp speed, unlike Alain Martel or Roger Griffis.

Could *that* Earl Strickland run 400? I would say I never doubted it for a millisecond. What I see today in Earl’s attempts is that his mental acumen is shot. It’s almost like he’s playing with reckless abandon on purpose. I never saw him play any of these poor shot selections in that tournament. Watching him today, you’d think he doesn’t know the basic concepts of clearing lanes and triangle-out patterns. I know he understood these basic concepts back then.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well certainly you could still get up a post up a 60-70 ball run, no?

Wasn't it you that said a 14.1 player never forgets how to run balls?

Lou Figueroa