The only way I will ever play 9 ball again...

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
How about this.... control whitey so you don't scratch, and don't foul it either.

Even though you don't have to call the pocket, most players don't slop the ball in, and if slop is what they rely on to win games, a good player will distroy them over a set.

Now, in short sets or something like BCAPL league play, yeah, playing only a game or two against an opponent sucks if they get lucky.

Good player isn't destroying anyone if they are hooked every time they get to the table after their opponent chowed it.

kaccrew26

Registered
Well I guess Earl Strickland,Efren Reyes and the rest of the great players all got lucky in all there 9ball tournament wins.

Banks

Banned
People are lucky just like people are ugly.

And blackjack is a numbers game, so that comparison is kinda null and void. Like Superstar said, luck runs the whole spectrum.. some people will get what seems to be every roll, some won't get any and then there are a whole mess of people in between.

Is it just as much luck to snap a 9 for the money as it is to snap it for fun? Ask the guy that has to pay out. :eek:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Well I guess Earl Strickland,Efren Reyes and the rest of the great players all got lucky in all there 9ball tournament wins.

Um.
We are not talking about skill.
They are all highly skilled players.
We are talking about luck in general as a FACTOR in 9ball.
Which it most undoubtedly is.

You stick any of the top players together that are evenly matched, and it wouldn't be a surprise if a roll determined the match.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PURE nine ball?

I don't really care for the game. I don't know if it is the luck factor or that I think it is mindless pool fodder. The following are the only rules I will ever use to play this game.

Scratch goes in the kitchen after the break or on any scratched shot, the incoming player has the option to differ to the fouling player if they so wish, even after the break.
In game fouls are played where they lie, no ball in hand, the incomming player has the option to differ or take the shot as they see fit.
All shots are call pocket.
Making the 9 ball out of turn results in a loss to the shooting player. The 9 ball if made on the break, spots on the foot spot.

If anyone else has any other ideas to make the game a little more "pure", please let me know.

Kai
. Nine ball is nine ball. Leave it alone. Don't play 9 ball if you hate 9 ball. I don't bowl very good, let's change the rules to suit me!! That's crazy. I hate creamed peas, so I don't eat them. Simple stuff here.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
And blackjack is a numbers game, so that comparison is kinda null and void. Like Superstar said, luck runs the whole spectrum.. some people will get what seems to be every roll, some won't get any and then there are a whole mess of people in between.

Yes, there is no luck invoved in blackjack either... :confused:

It's just funny that I don't know any pool player that always gets lucky. I do know a guy who always gets his ticket pulled for the break n run drawings... but, he also buys 4x more tickets than anyone else. Guess he's lucky. But he never breaks and runs out, so... he can't be too lucky.

mrsmith1976

Out of line...again..UGH
Silver Member
Funny

We were watching two very good players match up last weekend and one of them crapped a two ball in. He apologized, and ran that rack and the next two to win the set. His oppponent said 'You wouldn't have won if you hadn't got lucky and made that two ball shot'.. He said 'yeah and the other 25 shots with shape in a row really didn't matter'...

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
We were watching two very good players match up last weekend and one of them crapped a two ball in. He apologized, and ran that rack and the next two to win the set. His oppponent said 'You wouldn't have won if you hadn't got lucky and made that two ball shot'.. He said 'yeah and the other 25 shots with shape in a row really didn't matter'...

See that's wrong.
We aren't talking about skill.

But the question of if he would have won or not without the OPPORTUNITY that crapping in the 2ball gave to him is a prefect example of what i am talking about.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
See that's wrong.
We aren't talking about skill.

But the question of if he would have won or not without the OPPORTUNITY that crapping in the 2ball gave to him is a prefect example of what i am talking about.

Again, you fail to see the forest for the trees.

Nobody ever wants to blame their OWN mistakes for why they lost, they want it to be someone/something else's fault. Luck is just one of those excuses.

What about the balls you missed? Bad safties? Missed kicks? Those are why you lost, not luck... If you take care of business AND DON'T GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO GET LUCKY, then luck won't affect the outcome of the game.

You can place the blame on "luck" as to why you lost a set, but you are only fooling yourself.

mrsmith1976

Out of line...again..UGH
Silver Member
Really???

At some point you must acknowledge that luck will only get a player so far. Yes a luck may present an opportunity, but skill turns it into a win.

sokaiba

1-Pocket Addict
Silver Member
But why would you even want luck in a game of skill? Sure we all think it's great when it happens for us, but I know at least for myself that if luck is what caused me to win that I am not the better player so to say. So why not make a game that can eliminate most of it. I think 10 ball is pretty close, 14.1 is better but is not played enough.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I think 10 ball is pretty close, 14.1 is better but is not played enough.

This is a legal shot in both 14.1 and 10ball (call shot/call safe) I've seen this happen hundreds of times.

CueTable Help

You will never get rid of luck.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a legal shot in both 14.1 and 10ball (call shot/call safe) I've seen this happen hundreds of times.
[...WEI table deletia...]

You will never get rid of luck.

Sure, in a pure pocket nomination game like 14.1, 10-ball, and 8-ball.

But not in banks. In banks, if you say, "Cross side" and you miss, but it goes back and forth across the table 3 times, into the same side pocket you called, you're going to find yourself spotting that ball you just pocketed, and turning the table over to your opponent. Likewise if your bank otherwise "works" but caroms off another ball into that called pocket -- you're spotting it and sitting in your chair.

Bank pool, to me, is the cleanest and purest form of pool there is.
-Sean

sokaiba

1-Pocket Addict
Silver Member
You could if you went to call shot and pocket. I do agree that Bank Pool is the nuts in this regard.

sokaiba

1-Pocket Addict
Silver Member
Making a ball on the break is not lucky it is a science. Look at the clinic that Shane and Donnie put on for TAR. Plus Banks is rotational breaking.