This happened to me in Vegas last night

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in one of the tournament rooms in Vegas last night about midnight talking to a couple of friends when a guy with a couple of beers in his hands comes up to us and wants to know if one of us wants to play some 20 dollar eight ball. He's playing the drinking man part.

I was going to practice for an hour before going to my room and thought I just as well rather play competition so I told him that I would play but for only for a couple of hours and he agreed.

About 1:30 am I was up a hundred paying after each game when I told him that I couldn't play much longer because I needed to get up the next day for an early tournament match. I asked him if he wanted to play a race to three for the hundred he was stuck and he said ok.

Well I won the first game and he won the next two so the score is now two to one his favor. He then breaks the balls and nothing falls. I then run out to win the game to make the score even at two apiece. He then tells me that I fouled and lost that game. Of course I'm trying to think as to what foul I committed and I'm totally puzzled.

He said that it was my break on the last game and not his thus I fouled. I thought he was joking but he was serious. He now says that he gets the win because of the foul.

Before he broke the last game in question he just got up and racked the balls and I figured it was his break and I really didn't care because it was late and if he won then I could go get some needed rest. To me it wasn't a big deal. But he insisted that he won the set because of the foul. I said that as far as I'm concerned the score is two to two and we have one game left to play but he still argues that he won the set.

So now I'm thinking that he must not have the money to pay the hundred so I tell him that since we're even with the score I quit. I really didn't want anything to do with this guy any more. He didn't want to play one more game to finish the set then I then told him that I would flip a coin for the hundred. He said no and still demanded I pay him for the set. If we would have flipped for it I would have made him post.

He said that the BCA rules says that it's a foul and loss of game if the wrong person breaks. (if so, who is the foul on?)
If indeed it was supposed to be my break then I believe he was trying to take an advantage by breaking. Anyway I just put my cue away and walked away.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Why did he break then? If it was your break he should've never gotten up to the table. Were you alternating breaks?

Sounds like he just didn't want to lose $100.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
What a loser.
He broke out of turn, which is just a regular ball-in-hand foul against HIM (if you had called him on it at the time.) You can't call a foul on your opponent when you are the one shooting out of turn, and it certainly doesn't mean you've won the game.

He tried to turn it into a win-win situation, he takes your break and if he runs out or wins the game, he says nothing. If he loses the game, then he claims its a foul against you and he wins (which makes no sense).

RioSevario

Rivers
Silver Member
Agreed, just like any foul, it must be called directly after the foul was committed. I was also wondering if you were playing alternate break? If it was winner break then it was his break anyway for winning the previous 2 games. Seems to be a guy that didn't want to be a loser. So he is now a bigger loser.

GoldenFlash

Banned
YOU were a dumbass...for gambling with a stranger.
He drilled you for the chump you were. Wake up, man, and smell the coffee.
:boring2:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hog Wash. When a Foul is committed it has to be called and not later when it is convenient.

You know as well as anyone that if he had have won, there would have been no mention of a foul.

Should have just punched him in the face and said, Good Night, cheater.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in one of the tournament rooms in Vegas last night about midnight talking to a couple of friends when a guy with a couple of beers in his hands comes up to us and wants to know if one of us wants to play some 20 dollar eight ball. He's playing the drinking man part.

I was going to practice for an hour before going to my room and thought I just as well rather play competition so I told him that I would play but for only for a couple of hours and he agreed.

About 1:30 am I was up a hundred paying after each game when I told him that I couldn't play much longer because I needed to get up the next day for an early tournament match. I asked him if he wanted to play a race to three for the hundred he was stuck and he said ok.

Well I won the first game and he won the next two so the score is now two to one his favor. He then breaks the balls and nothing falls. I then run out to win the game to make the score even at two apiece. He then tells me that I fouled and lost that game. Of course I'm trying to think as to what foul I committed and I'm totally puzzled.

He said that it was my break on the last game and not his thus I fouled. I thought he was joking but he was serious. He now says that he gets the win because of the foul.

Before he broke the last game in question he just got up and racked the balls and I figured it was his break and I really didn't care because it was late and if he won then I could go get some needed rest. To me it wasn't a big deal. But he insisted that he won the set because of the foul. I said that as far as I'm concerned the score is two to two and we have one game left to play but he still argues that he won the set.

So now I'm thinking that he must not have the money to pay the hundred so I tell him that since we're even with the score I quit. I really didn't want anything to do with this guy any more. He didn't want to play one more game to finish the set then I then told him that I would flip a coin for the hundred. He said no and still demanded I pay him for the set. If we would have flipped for it I would have made him post.

He said that the BCA rules says that it's a foul and loss of game if the wrong person breaks. (if so, who is the foul on?)
If indeed it was supposed to be my break then I believe he was trying to take an advantage by breaking. Anyway I just put my cue away and walked away.

He knew he was in for a serious haircut and tried his best move to escape DABARBRS CHAIR!

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hog Wash. When a Foul is committed it has to be called and not later when it is convenient.

You know as well as anyone that if he had have won, there would have been no mention of a foul.

Should have just punched him in the face and said, Good Night, cheater.

Terry has it right , should have said something earlier , and being he broke out of turn , the foul was his . jim

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Forget everything else in this thread... richiebalto just summed things up perfectly.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA rules don't mean shit when gambling, unless you make it known before hand;) He probably didn't have the $$$.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enjoy the $100..........

At least you got that.

Every time you spend a little of his money you can smile.

Sucks to be him. $100 poorer and an idiot................

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not playing anybody I don't know for money without them posting. :rolleyes:
In fact the same can be said for the people I do know. :smile:

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He intentionally fouled when he broke out of turn, to try to "cheat" you out of a win. I would have squeezed him around the neck until he turned purple, saying "How does this feel for a foul penalty?"

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry has it right , should have said something earlier , and being he broke out of turn , the foul was his . jim

I do believe if he breaks out of turn wins the game then the next player breaks that game is over with and I think he can run the rack pocket the 9 and lose however if he misses a ball and the other player shoots he can't can foul after that
But in any event total chump move either way

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member

Ding ding ding,..... he playin' on air.

Doncha just love it when ppl do that? Like they never expect to lose. :rolleyes::mad:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Refereed match in snooker

The ref informed me that he awarded the wrong player to break.
He said that it was even worse.....my opponent would also get his rightful
break next game....so he got to break three times in a row.

Wrong breaker is still a legal game ...in snooker.
This makes sense to me because the mistake is mutual.

...Frank's opponent is a scumbag, IMO

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Frank;

You achieved a good t result in that you took a c-note from him and then ended up quitting at hill-hill in the unpleasant set.

He knew exactly what he was doing when he broke out of turn and no doubt he would have said nothing if the game went his way. But, alas, he broke dry, you ran it out, *then* he cried foul. :rolleyes:

yep, a good result; you got a little extra pocket money, a little extra practice, and walked away from an unpleasant nit.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Once you start playing, the foul is moot. If you foul in a game, he does not call you on it and you take the next shot, the prior foul does not exist anymore. If someone took the wrong break, but you guys took the first shot in the game anyway without anyone saying anything, the game is valid.

He needs to read the rules a bit better about calling fouls.

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
Frank;

You achieved a good t result in that you took a c-note from him and then ended up quitting at hill-hill in the unpleasant set.

He knew exactly what he was doing when he broke out of turn and no doubt he would have said nothing if the game went his way. But, alas, he broke dry, you ran it out, *then* he cried foul. :rolleyes:

yep, a good result; you got a little extra pocket money, a little extra practice, and walked away from an unpleasant nit.

best,
brian kc

the person you played is a complete idiot keep away from these guys it could have ended in a fight