This spot shot bullshit has got to stop

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I don't dislike the spot shot sudden death as much as I dislike the races to 4... The spot shot endings have proved to be entertaining. It's hard to implement it on longer races of course. I've noticed most of the matches taking roughly an hour. Using that standard, 2 races to 7 would probably only bump that to about an hour and a half a match, maybe a little longer and you can still preserve the spot shot shoot out. There would also be less upsets.

I will say though, with this format, I would absolutely hate to lose to spot shots, especially after to very short races.. and also especially when you can still lose but have more total rack wins.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Proof positive the players will play ANY format if someone puts up the money to make it worth their while. I don't hate the spot shot conclusion to so many of these matches, as much as I think the format could be better, especially when you have championship level players competing.
Well they don't really have much of a choice in these times with quarantines, social distancing and out of country travel being more difficult. They didn't have much choice pre-covid either for that matter.

Like you said Jay, after watching it, I don't hate the spot shot conclusion as much as I thought I would. Just wish the races were a bit more competitive.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some of the pros aren’t going because the weaker players have a chance to beat them…

Average Fargo of the final four is like 807.

Guys like Albin and Fedor should LOVE this tour! I’m going to play in it next year in Tucson. I’ll wager right now with anyone I’ve gambled with before that I win at least two matches.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Some of the pros aren’t going because the weaker players have a chance to beat them…

Average Fargo of the final four is like 807.

Guys like Albin and Fedor should LOVE this tour! I’m going to play in it next year in Tucson. I’ll wager right now with anyone I’ve gambled with before that I win at least two matches.

Why wait until Arizona Open in 2023? There are plenty of stops coming up, such as Wisconsin Open, Las Vegas Open, Michigan, Ohio and Puerto Rico. If you do well in enough tournaments, you may get enough points to be invited for the Predator World 10-Ball. That's the tournament where Predator is really pouring in the money.

One of the 5th-8th is Fargo 718.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called a friend that lives out there and told him about the event. He plays a little but is not a die-hard pool nut. He went and said to him it was the best pool tournament he'd ever seen. He specifically liked what a lot here don't, the spot shots. Said the excitement/tension when a match went to S.O. was apparent all around the room. In this regard i think the organizers are getting just what they want.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I have a more open mind about the OP. Having played in and supported 3 Failed pro tours.

In the past, many different formats were used and tried.
I never liked the time clock one, where I watched Massey vs Strickland.
Tennis went thru a growth spurt and eventually went to their form of sudden death.
When your birthing a new sport to society yah gotta start somewhere.
Keep in mind, over 90% of all billiard products are sold to non players/homeowners.
Until you try something new/different....you'll never really know if it works or doesn't.
Seeing as this is the first REAL opportunity to make this game a sport/and exciting for the non player (which is where the money is) different formats should be tried.
Me.....I'd prefer sets, like in tennis. Best 3 outta five with breaks between each set, for the players, audience and the viewers and cameramen.

kling&allen

Registered
SVB said he won't play in these events because of the spot shot and the racking that eliminates his ability to run out.

Screenshot_20220116-102600_Facebook.jpg

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called a friend that lives out there and told him about the event. He plays a little but is not a die-hard pool nut. He went and said to him it was the best pool tournament he'd ever seen. He specifically liked what a lot here don't, the spot shots. Said the excitement/tension when a match went to S.O. was apparent all around the room. In this regard i think the organizers are getting just what they want.

Another thing is in a normal, say, race to 8, there might be 14 games total. And many of the intermediate games just don't feel that impactful. If I have 5 to go to win and you have 6 to go, there is not much drama in the current game. With the CSI/Predator format--one that discriminates in the end about comparably to a race to 8--every game feels like a big deal. That's good for fan engagement.

This CSI/Predator team has heads down and eyes forward.

MrKnives

You take it out then next thing would be 'how can a tournament make sense if every match is a breaking contest?'. You can't make everyone happy, people always find something to complain about.

This series is one of the best things that have happend to pool in last decade, preadtor is committed to adding money and even running these 4-5 times a year. When was the last time some one stepped up and got a 'tour' like this one with decent money added ?
This sounds good at face value but no, it still is t ok and your premise doesn’t hold up. Simply add a 3rd race and it’s all solved. Nobody’s bashing the efforts of Predator and others to create an awesome tournament for the benefit of the sport and all of us that enjoy it but a shoot out after two short races is ridiculous!!!!!
I don’t get worked up over things but after watching several of these low, it’s completely lame and doing more harm than good to produce a good product.
THIS (not you so don’t take this personally) is DUMB!!!!!
Ludicrous, idiotic. Just not thought out at all. How could this have possibly been their solution?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB said he won't play in these events because of the spot shot and the racking that eliminates his ability to run out.

View attachment 624736
And?? That's his choice. There are pro golfers that skip some events because the course doesn't suit their eyes/game. Never heard people whine when J. Nicklaus skipped events. Same deal here. He took some time off to go fishing and will be at DCC ready to go. Some of the others that skipped it are taking a break before Derby as well. I don't know why some people pile on for them not playing. For some its an extended Christmas/NewYear break and others may not like the format either.

kling&allen

Registered
And?? That's his choice. There are pro golfers that skip some events because the course doesn't suit their eyes/game. Never heard people whine when J. Nicklaus skipped events. Same deal here. He took some time off to go fishing and will be at DCC ready to go. Some of the others that skipped it are taking a break before Derby as well. I don't know why some people pile on for them not playing. For some its an extended Christmas/NewYear break and others may not like the format either.

I agree, I reposted it because he has a good reason that looks like it's backed up by data.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least Fedor is showing up to represent Cuetec and beat Predator in their own event. :ROFLMAO:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB would do just fine in this format. A powerful side break seems to be a real weapon against hand racked 10 ball. I'm sure he could slam the break from the side just fine. I hope someone close to him and other US pros get them to reconsider their participation in future CSI/Predator events.

It sure would be nice if someone could run an All-American Championship just for US players. While I'm not an isolationist, it would be great to see just one tourney a year for our struggling pros.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sure would be nice if someone could run an All-American Championship just for US players. While I'm not an isolationist, it would be great to see just one tourney a year for our struggling pros.
Well there will be four US Opens in Vegas in April that will have many spots for Americans as most big names will be at the World 9 Ball that Matchroom scheduled on top of Griff's. LMFAO

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is it about the format, that makes it so difficult to pocket a ball on the break?

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
We see the ref racking on the stream table. Who racks on the other tables? Do they have a ref or is it rack your own or rack for you opponent?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My opinion is that this format favors the strong, not the weak.

A Fargo 675 will almost never win a spot shot shootout against a Fargo 775, as the cueing skills of the 775 are usually so much stronger. Hence, unless the weaker player can win both races to four, they're usually going to be out of luck.

I think this format virtually ensures that Cinderella stories will be few and far between in this new event series. I think we'll see a super-strong final four in almost every one of these events.

The world's straightest shooters, which means Gorst. Filler and Shaw in my books, should have incredibly strong action in events like these.

Last edited: