Tip replacement by mail

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my part of DC there's no one who does even simple cue work. My effort to do them myself worked out ok but not perfect.

Who is a good person to mail my shafts to for some new tips? I sent a pm to ratcues but he didn't answer.

Thanks

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
If you can't find anyone in DC, though I'm sure there has to be someone, I'd take it up to Bal'mer, or Catonsville. Seems to me there several well known cue makers and pool halls there, they'd have to have a resource or two

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can't find anyone in DC, though I'm sure there has to be someone, I'd take it up to Bal'mer, or Catonsville. Seems to me there several well known cue makers and pool halls there, they'd have to have a resource or two

Charlie Fleming is awesome, but I'd rather ship them than drive to Dundalk on the north side of Bmore.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I understand!!!

Try Capone or Bob Fry!!!

Capone has another job and you would need to call and work something out!!!

Bob Fry is in Bmore a long way from you! I would do a group shipment/ pick up and make it worth Capone's effort to due SEVERAL tip replacements all together! If you play league then make an announcement and schedule a trip or pick up ONCE A MONTH!!! Rotate drivers as shipping and lost PLAYING shafts is really SCARY!!!

KD

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cost

shipping one shaft within the usa with insurance will cost about $15 each way, plus a trip to the post office. 5 - 6 shafts would be close to the same.
i can do the work as can many different builders. i think one shaft would not be cost effective, doing 5 - 6 at a time might justify the cost in shipping.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my part of DC there's no one who does even simple cue work. My effort to do them myself worked out ok but not perfect.

Who is a good person to mail my shafts to for some new tips? I sent a pm to ratcues but he didn't answer.

Thanks

:scratchhead:

Are these shafts for an expensive cue or just a J&J or Kaiser cue?

What kind of cue or cues are these shafts for? What kind of tip do you want?

I send out shafts all the time using Priority Mail and it only cost around $5-$6 as long as it is on the East Coast and under one pound. Years ago I used to send everything to Meullers. Now, I have a lathe at home and do everything here.

Meullers was always good and easy. I'm sure there is someone close to you with a lathe in their basement. Talk to someone in a pool league. They may steer you in the right direction.

I have never put insurance on a shaft and rarely put insurance on pool cues I send out.:smile:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You gotta time these thing for when there is a tournament around with a cue guy or when you are going to one. Joe Blackburn should be at the open as usual.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, everyone. My shafts are currently in the hands of a guy in Fairfax (childish giggle). If it works out well, I'll post the guy's info for everyone's benefit.

I guess I won't call out anyone by name, but the main guy who shows up at tournaments around here isn't someone whose work I really trust. And he's not Flemming, Fry, Sly, or Capone.

bobco729

bobco729
Silver Member
Rick Phillippi in Pasadena, MD. 410-437-2386 He does a great job. M.-F. 9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. like clockwork.
Bob

Last edited:

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member

Thanks

I just checked through my PMs and I don't see one from you. I'm not sure what happened but I will be more than happy to assist you in the future.

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member

Thanks

Rick at Phillippi cues is a great option and I think Pasadena MD is very close to DC. 30-45 min?

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Looks like a good business opportunity. You should look into getting a lathe and doing the work for the area. May take some time but eventually it will be profitable. Learn how to do tips and you can expand from there. There are many around my area that do the tips for bars, leagues, set up to do local tournaments and etc. You may not get rich but it supplements the income.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a good business opportunity. You should look into getting a lathe and doing the work for the area. May take some time but eventually it will be profitable. Learn how to do tips and you can expand from there. There are many around my area that do the tips for bars, leagues, set up to do local tournaments and etc. You may not get rich but it supplements the income.

Thanks, Book. You're right that it's an opportunity, but not for me. I've got a small garage and not much time to spare.

But I did find someone in Fairfax who did a very nice job at a very fair price. His name is Vyc: http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=3775. I don't want to post it without permission, but if anyone needs his email address to get some cue maintenance done, just shoot me a PM and I'll give it to you.

Cory

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

Cory if you can wait for one of Ozzy Reynolds, Action Pool Tour in Breakers, they have on site cue repairs during the tournaments

Breakers Sky Lounge
2445 Centreville, Rd.
Herndon, VA
(703) 793-6233

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a follow up, Vyc's email is vyc.carolino@gmail.com. Tell him Cory sent you!

Thanks, Book. You're right that it's an opportunity, but not for me. I've got a small garage and not much time to spare.

But I did find someone in Fairfax who did a very nice job at a very fair price. His name is Vyc: http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=3775. I don't want to post it without permission, but if anyone needs his email address to get some cue maintenance done, just shoot me a PM and I'll give it to you.

Cory