Tournament Tables in the 50's and 60's?

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
I have been watching footage of matches back in the fifties and sixties on divx stage 6. All but one of them were played on 8 footers. Was this the standard size for competitive play back then? If so that damages the credibility of the old school IMO.
 
I believe during the 60s the tables were Gold Crowns,i dont believe they were 8 ft tables for tournaments but i wasnt there. :)
 
mnorwood said:
I have been watching footage of matches back in the fifties and sixties on divx stage 6. All but one of them were played on 8 footers. Was this the standard size for competitive play back then? If so that damages the credibility of the old school IMO.

Standard size tournament table was 9' but the South was known to have a lot of 8 footers.
 
I've always heard that it would be a lot harder to run 500 in 14 .1 on a eight footer than the same on a nine footer because of traffic jams. It makes sense in my humble opinion, what do you'all think ?

Leonard
 
poolcuemaster said:
I've always heard that it would be a lot harder to run 500 in 14 .1 on a eight footer than the same on a nine footer because of traffic jams. It makes sense in my humble opinion, what do you'all think ?

Leonard

Personally, I would doubt that. You are only losing 3 inches on each side and I don't think that would make much difference.

Losing 6 inches on each side on a 7 footer would make a big difference I think.

Regards,
Jim
 
mnorwood said:
I have been watching footage of matches back in the fifties and sixties on divx stage 6. All but one of them were played on 8 footers. Was this the standard size for competitive play back then? If so that damages the credibility of the old school IMO.

I went to quite a few tournaments in the 60's. All were played on 9' tables. Gandy's, Gold Crowns and Sport Kings were ones I remember. I think Nationals were used at a tourney in Cincinnati.

In the pool halls back then, particularly in the Midwest and South, many used the "oversize" 8' tables. These had the 46" x 92" playing surface as opposed to the 9' table with 50" x 100". That's about as specific as I can get. The difference in size was 4" across by 8" long. They were noticeably smaller.

In New York and a few places in the East, you would occasionally still see a 10' pool table. 7-11 had one. The playing surface was 56" x 112". It was also noticeably larger. The bed height (playing surface) of most tables in the U.S was about 30". When I first went to Japan, something felt funny, until I realized I was playing on tables about 1-1.5" lower. That's a big difference!
 
Last edited:
1960's= 9 footers for any pro tournament and most other tournaments in poolrooms and other venues. 8 footers were mostly sold for home use in the EAST. Very rarely did you even see an 8 footer in a poolroom. Johnnyt
 
I say in ten years that 7 foot tables will be in most poolrooms/sports bars in the US. With the price of sq. footage you will need beer&wine and 7 foot tables. The 9 footer will start to go like the 5x10's did. Johnnyt
 
mnorwood said:
I have been watching footage of matches back in the fifties and sixties on divx stage 6. All but one of them were played on 8 footers. Was this the standard size for competitive play back then? If so that damages the credibility of the old school IMO.

What matches, and where?

As said by others, anything even vaugely resembling
'official' competition was played on 9 ft.
The first 14.1 Championship played on a 9ft was aprox 1950,
prior to then, it was on 5 x 10.

How do you know the tables are 8 ft?

Dale
 
Johnnyt said:
I say in ten years that 7 foot tables will be in most poolrooms/sports bars in the US. With the price of sq. footage you will need beer&wine and 7 foot tables. The 9 footer will start to go like the 5x10's did. Johnnyt

a sad time for pool if that happens. don't get me wrong, i enjoy a little barbox 8 ball from time to time, but it sucks that most local leagues and tournaments are pushing the little tables.
 
Never saw or heard of an 8 footer

Where I grew up and played,in the 50's, Cochrans's and Palace Billiards in San Francisco there were only 9, 10, and 12 foot tables. And there was action daily on all 3. Those were the days my friends.
 
There stilll are a lot of 8 footers in the rural south in pool rooms.

A lot of the older tables had HUGE extremely forgiving pockets.
 
maxeypad2007 said:
There stilll are a lot of 8 footers in the rural south in pool rooms.

A lot of the older tables had HUGE extremely forgiving pockets.

I think that had a lot to do with the fact that many<most?>
of the old rooms charged a set amt per game, not per hour.

Easier the pockets, more balls go in, faster games,...

Dale
 
Willie Mosconi had the highest run ever recorded of 526 balls in straight pool. He did it on an 8 foot table.
 
526 ball run

Ralph Kramden said:
Willie Mosconi had the highest run ever recorded of 526 balls in straight pool. He did it on an 8 foot table.

I was thinking about the same thing. Do you think that it was easier or harder for Willie Mosconi on an 8 ft. table? Could he have run 526 balls on a 9 ft. Gold Crown?
 
av84fun said:
Jay, what were tournament pocket sizes back in the day??


There was no standard size back then. I suspect the Gandys at Johnston City were close to 4.75" pockets. Maybe 4.50" at the smallest. 4.5" was a typical pocket opening back then, two balls wide. Rarely was anything tighter than that. Sometimes even a bit looser, like 4 and five eighths or 4.75", were not uncommon. The pockets were almost always straight cut back then, no angled openings. That made them play a little smaller. And the shelves may have been a half inch deeper too, also making them play tougher.

The tightest (and toughest) pockets I ever saw were the Vitalie tables used at the Peter Vitalie Open in 1987. They were 4" pockets with deep shelves. A ball could hide behind those corners, where you couldn't make it shooting down the rail. TRUE! Sigel loved those tables, and so did Buddy. Earl hated them, he couldn't run out.

By the way, NO ONE ever set up tournament tables any better than Al Conte did the Gold Crowns from the 70's to the 90's. He was the best ever in my book! They didn't play good, they played perfect!
 
Back
Top