Trailer for Rob Nilsson's Pool Film "Chalk"

midnightpulp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the Poolhall Junkies thread, I talked briefly about this film. For those of you interested, here's a trailer:

http://www.chalkfilm.org/

You can also buy the DVD via Paypal (Can't get this on Netflix or buy it at Best Buy). I haven't seen it, but Ebert gave it 3 stars and the other of Nilsson's films I've seen were very good.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just bought a copy. This is the film that he started making nearly 15 years ago in San Francisco. Glad it's finally done. I think it may be better than Pool Hall Junkies. Probably more realistic. I know there are several pool players in it, Chris MacDonald for one. I hope I see Dave Piona in there.

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
Actually looks like it has some potential. After Poolhall Junkies... I'm very skeptic of ANY pool movie and any pool related movie that has been out since... has sucked as well. But I'll give this movie a chance.

midnightpulp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I just bought a copy. This is the film that he started making nearly 15 years ago in San Francisco. Glad it's finally done. I think it may be better than Pool Hall Junkies. Probably more realistic. I know there are several pool players in it, Chris MacDonald for one. I hope I see Dave Piona in there.

Cool. Let us know how you like it. I'll be ordering a copy soon.

Glad it's finally out on DVD. It didn't get to the screens until four years after completion and then took another few years to get on DVD.

That said, I highly recommend his work. No doubt this film will be the antithesis of PH Junkies. Nilsson is a maverick similar to Cassavetes. Here's Ebert's review for those who didn't see it in the PH Junkie thread: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20001027/REVIEWS/10270303/1023

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
I for one would like to see Jackie Chan, or possibly even Jet Lee Star in a "pool Film" Action, Drama, and Im sure we can teach Jackie to hold a cue! there is your blockbuster... lol...

SPINDOKTOR

midnightpulp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:
Actually looks like it has some potential. After Poolhall Junkies... I'm very skeptic of ANY pool movie and any pool related movie that has been out since... has sucked as well. But I'll give this movie a chance.

It should be good. Nilsson definitely knows what he's doing. Keep in mind it will be a low-budget production with a cast of non-professionals, which I think will fit quite well with the subject matter.

Here's some more reviews from respected critics Scott Tobias and Amy Taubin: http://www.avclub.com/content/node/4168 http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0034,taubin,17547,20.html

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've had this movie for like a year or two. the lighting isn't good it seems real gritty.i liked it though with the exception of a few parts

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
midnightpulp said:
Cool. Let us know how you like it. I'll be ordering a copy soon.

Glad it's finally out on DVD. It didn't get to the screens until four years after completion and then took another few years to get on DVD.

That said, I highly recommend his work. No doubt this film will be the antithesis of PH Junkies. Nilsson is a maverick similar to Cassavetes. Here's Ebert's review for those who didn't see it in the PH Junkie thread: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20001027/REVIEWS/10270303/1023

The pool hustler living in his van, referred to in this review, is Chris MacDonald, "The Road Man".

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
what I heard

I guess I need to see this but from what I heard it was pretty bad.Also
from what I gather a man does some awful stuff to himself with his cue
to get "instroke" ....still I guess I will watch it before I pass too much judgement

midnightpulp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt90 said:
I guess I need to see this but from what I heard it was pretty bad.Also
from what I gather a man does some awful stuff to himself with his cue
to get "instroke" ....still I guess I will watch it before I pass too much judgement

Yeah, I read about it in the Village Voice review.

This film probably won't be for everyone. Nilsson is anything but mainstream and will swing for the fences artistically.

Guess when enough people see it, we'll have to open up a discussion thread on here :)

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One Thing's for Sure...

SPINDOKTOR said:
I for one would like to see Jackie Chan, or possibly even Jet Lee Star in a "pool Film" Action, Drama, and Im sure we can teach Jackie to hold a cue! there is your blockbuster... lol...

SPINDOKTOR

I don't know about holding a cue, but he could sure kick your ass with it! :p

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont know why everyone is so down on pool hall junkies, I thought it was awesome, niggas! niggas! n-i-g-g-a haha. Anyway this movie looks like a community college project, we shall see.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
midnightpulp said:
In the Poolhall Junkies thread, I talked briefly about this film. For those of you interested, here's a trailer:

http://www.chalkfilm.org/

You can also buy the DVD via Paypal (Can't get this on Netflix or buy it at Best Buy). I haven't seen it, but Ebert gave it 3 stars and the other of Nilsson's films I've seen were very good.

Pulp-man,
The movie has been out for years.

I guess the poster who described it as "gritty" had it right. Very poor camera work, poor story, unsympathetic characters, disgusting bathroom scene. Had some decent pool shots (I believe Mike Massey was involved). Bad movie even for a pool fanatic.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
A repeat review of the abomination, "Chalk."

I posted this review a while back. It deserves repeating.

"There may never be another movie as insulting and outrageous as "Chalk."
The scene for the final "big game" was preceded by the way a top player supposedly warms up for his big matches. This is the way Hollywood wants to represent pool hustlers: The "Pro" hands the butt of his cue to his girl-friend, bends over, and tells her to shove it up his butt! Yes, this was the actual scene in this f*****g movie. The girl-friend demurs slightly, and begs him to not make her do that again! The only redeeming scene in the movie comes from a real pro player, Chris MacDonald from CA, who waxes philosophically about being a pool player. He is really good. The rest of the movie is infuriating. One more interesting note: Roger Ebert, the famous movie critic, gave this piece of CaCa 3 stars! I guess he thought that the cue-up-the-butt as a pre-match warm-up, was a realistic portrayal of our craft."

Can anybody help me out, I've got a big game coming up and I'm out of KY Jelly?
the Beard

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

I just went to Amazon and searched for Chalk. I got a film about a teacher... chalk board kind of chalk. Where is the pool film available. ?

OOps... all I had to do was read ALL of the first post.:rolleyes: :eek:

Last edited:

whitey2

Time Stand Still
Silver Member
the link

The link is http://chalkfilm.org/

I've watched it a few times, but only with 100% attention the first time.

There are parts I like, and parts I don't like. I never understood the ending, but it's
hard to explain without giving away part of the movie.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Thanks... got it. Really easy to buy! (if a guy would read the instructions :) ) Sometimes I embarass myself.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

Jay, I have had a copy of this movie for 6-10 years--they were a blur. Not new.

Here's my review http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=1045016&postcount=35

Last edited: