Treating a Slick Irish Linen Wrap

SciotoSteve

Registered
I have a relatively new cue that has an irish linen wrap that is too slick for my liking. I am looking for suggestions for a method to reduce the slickness and make tackier. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wet the wrap with water to raise the fibers and cut down the slick surface when it dries.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have a relatively new cue that has an irish linen wrap that is too slick for my liking. I am looking for suggestions for a method to reduce the slickness and make tackier. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

As you play with it, the sweat and oil from your hands will soften it up.

As LAMAS says, you can dampen the wrap and it will cause the string to swell and the fibers to lift. Let it dry, then you can use fine sand paper, such as 400 (dry) lightly to smooth it, or finer grit depending on the feel you like. Then you can use wax paper to seal it.

I don't like the powdery feel of linen at all anymore. I have a stack leather wrap by Tiger and once the surface has worn in it's perfect for playing pool.

Chris

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It's slick because it has shaft sealer on it. Wax it, and the entire butt for that matter, with a good automotive wax. I use Meguiars Gold Class. :)

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If only you knew a highly skilled person who could put on a leather wrap.

Or, a highly skilled cuemaker who could put on linen like they used to
in the "old days".

Dale

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they can
just dont have them press it.

I had my cue wrapped with linen by Chris Byrne of CB custom cues.
Chris lives not far from me and I was lucky enough to stand there as he pressed it and when it was just right for me I said stop. Other then doing that, you just have to tell the cue maker how you want it to feel and hope he understands what you mean.

Sand the wrap gently with 800 grit sandpaper. Go with the direction of the wrap (not up and down). Wipe it with a clean terry cloth or microfiber towel and you're done. Be aware that the wrap will not have that same glossy look it does now, but you can always restore that by having it starched and pressed by a cue repair person (of course, that will make it slick again too).

I do not recommend wax paper as it leaves the wrap feeling sticky and nasty plus it becomes a magnet for dirt and chalk dust. Do not put any kind of wax on the wrap either, it will get between the threads and is damned near impossible to clean off the resulting dried wax residue.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's slick because it has shaft sealer on it. Wax it, and the entire butt for that matter, with a good automotive wax. I use Meguiars Gold Class. :)

Wait... that's not a funny post! What the Hell! I feel ripped off now. :angry:

bankout86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used bow and arrow string wax on my irish linen wrap. Make sure to rub it in very good. I love it. Been using it that way for about 2 years.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Wait... that's not a funny post! What the Hell! I feel ripped off now. :angry:

Easy there, cyrex. The old Trampster has many facetts, much like a rare and beautiful diamond.
Whether it's the technical aspects of cue maintenance such as we've seen here, or the insurmountable difficulties in getting snot out of courduroy, as we've seen elsewhere, I feel that I was born to do this shit. It's in my jeans. :)

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy there, cyrex. The old Trampster has many facetts, much like a rare and beautiful diamond.
Whether it's the technical aspects of cue maintenance such as we've seen here, or the insurmountable difficulties in getting snot out of courduroy, as we've seen elsewhere, I feel that I was born to do this shit. It's in my jeans. :)

Are you telling me that somewhere out there in the internetz there is a website that focuses on getting body fluids out of corduroy? Because, that's kinda awesome!