Unknown "monster" players

jaywideman

Registered
donnie brown

hmmm. back when i remember him, we was quiet...calculating...crazy careful bridge hand. amazing how things change.

was this back in the ohio area?

i used to play donnie down on hydraulic in wichita ks. when we were both 16. or at terry youngs place called rumors in wichita. we were both kids battling to be the best!

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Wow small world. Silas is who taught me a lot about the game when I was 12-15 years of age. We practiced daily. I used to play with his Balabushka and Szamboti cues on a daily basis. Probably would have ended up with all of them if not for moving away for college, losing touch etc... We were great friends.
I believe the other you speak of is Bob Ogborn though? Also from Danville. He was top notch as well. Low on the radar road player.

I practice and play with a player from Danville named Mike Slaughter. Pretty strong player in his own right and I've heard him speak many times about Silas and how he ran out... Among other things

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I practice and play with a player from Danville named Mike Slaughter. Pretty strong player in his own right and I've heard him speak many times about Silas and how he ran out... Among other things

Yes Mike knows me very well and I know Mike. I know his uncle as well. I also knew Red from Myrtle Beach amongst others. Tell him Kevin says Hi :)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
This was a spot that every shortstop would take and it wasn't quite enough

Cj, do you remember playing a road player at the Flamingo lounge (Dales place) about 15-20 years ago, well they was suppose to stay away from you and Buddy Hall, Cigar Tom Vanover was the player, only thing was Tom didnt know what you looked like, only your name, Tom beat everybody he played on that road trip except you know who!

Toms road partners took off for awile and left him alone, Tom didnt really know who the players were on the road and he didnt probably care who he played, but when Toms partners came back they told him who he was playing and asked him how he stood and what was he playing for, at that time Tom was holding his own for 50 or 100 a game and then they played a race, well Cj destroyed Tom 2 straight races for 500 or more, i believe.

They headed back towards Baltimore after that session!

Yes, I remember Dale's place (this was more than 20 years ago) with the bar table on the left. I used to go in there with Charlie and Earl Kellum was hanging out there quite a bit.

I do remember that match and I was told sometime afterwards that Tom was a really good player. My bar table game at that time was pretty sporty, I was playing a lot of road players like Arkansas Calvin, Reid Pierce and was a few months after this I played Matlock in Alabama. The country was bustling with bar action and I made a fortune giving up the break on the bar table. This was a spot that every shortstop would take and it wasn't quite enough ;)

There was something about Tom that I can't quite put my finger on, did he play with "unusual equipment," it seems like he played with like a snooker shaft or something like that. Hmmm, it's been a long time since I thought about that night, or even the Flamingo Lounge, but I do remember playing that night, just fuzzy on the details.

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am soooooooooooooo happy

that this internet thing wasn't going on in the 60s and 70s when I was on the road. I could beat some little town in the Carolinas for a week and drive 20 miles to another and nobody had a clue...Back then a cell phone was something they brought you for your one call.
This KNOCKMONSTER could put the road to sleep forever. I thought the "knife and fork" would be hard to fade out there today but this....Thank heaven for employment.

"Workin's for suckers. Playing! That's the secret to life."
Rudolph Walter "Minnesota Fats" Wanderone

The other side of the coin is, reading (the fun stuff) and posting is a blast. I appreciate my fellow AZB members to the max.
Keep it nice. Alfie

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
that this internet thing wasn't going on in the 60s and 70s when I was on the road. I could beat some little town in the Carolinas for a week and drive 20 miles to another and nobody had a clue...Back then a cell phone was something they brought you for your one call.
This KNOCKMONSTER could put the road to sleep forever. I thought the "knife and fork" would be hard to fade out there today but this....Thank heaven for employment.

"Workin's for suckers. Playing! That's the secret to life."
Rudolph Walter "Minnesota Fats" Wanderone

The other side of the coin is, reading (the fun stuff) and posting is a blast. I appreciate my fellow AZB members to the max.
Keep it nice. Alfie

This is all true. But I must say, word got around in the pool world pretty fast back then too (well the early 80s) I was not around in the 60s lol... Word of mouth is soooo powerful.
But back then, they were all mysterious stories about mysterious players who could never miss a ball even while a sleep.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
..the best player in Baltimore, which they cleary was at the time...

Tom is still going strong for 73, working at top hat cue club in Baltimore

I knew Cleary was a bad mofo...on the AZB stall!

And I did not know Tom is at Top Hat now. Very interesting. How long has he been working there?

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the site, is this Tommy Sanders? I remember Gulhassey's(sp?) story about that and I had my doubts, I think he also said he beat Gabby (Mouise Pouncey, aka Larry Hill).

Anyway, there's no doubt in my mind that you were a 'monster' player in the 70's and 80's. I saw you play Tadd. I heard you played Louie Roberts and Reed Pierce and won, is that true?

Thanks for the reply (by PM) Tommy. I tried to PM you back, but get a message saying you don't receive PM's. SO I thought I would post your reply here, hope you don't mind.

tdsandman said:
Yes I beat Reed in Bmt. We played big table/bar table guarantee 2 sets. He beat me the time before on just bar table. I had him beat and dogged it and then he played great.
The Louie story is a little wierd in that I gave him the last 4 playing 9 ball on bar box, but I got breaks with a big cue ball. OOPS! We played even for several hours, he said he'd give me the last 3 if I gave him the breaks, then I said he had the last 4 if I break. He just forgot what he was giving up.
He just wasnt thinking very well. He forgot I can when rackafter rack and he wins one and I then i get to break again.He really could have got the last 8,not being cocky, if you aren't shooting you aren't winning. The break on bar table with big cue ball is like throwing dynamite in the rack, it's unbelievable. I don't Really know how to reply on the thread

Thanks for the reply, Tommy. I remember going in halves with Joemac playing you at the Spur Lounge. You were giving up the 7 or 8, I don't remember, but I do remember you breaking and running somewhere around 12 to 14 racks before Joemac finally threw in the towel. You were unreal in those days, I'm glad I got to see it. As to how to reply in the thread, you explained it well to me in the PM. I look forward to seeing you post more, if you feel like it.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I remember Dale's place (this was more than 20 years ago) with the bar table on the left. I used to go in there with Charlie and Earl Kellum was hanging out there quite a bit.

I do remember that match and I was told sometime afterwards that Tom was a really good player. My bar table game at that time was pretty sporty, I was playing a lot of road players like Arkansas Calvin, Reid Pierce and was a few months after this I played Matlock in Alabama. The country was bustling with bar action and I made a fortune giving up the break on the bar table. This was a spot that every shortstop would take and it wasn't quite enough ;)

There was something about Tom that I can't quite put my finger on, did he play with "unusual equipment," it seems like he played with like a snooker shaft or something like that. Hmmm, it's been a long time since I thought about that night, or even the Flamingo Lounge, but I do remember playing that night, just fuzzy on the details.

The flamingo has always been a good action spot, still is as well. As long as Dales there something will happen somehow. I must of played in there 30/40 times when living in Clearwater.
Miss those pool days, they are few and far between nowadays.
That whole area had action all over in the mid to late 90s

Earl k. Did hang around there a lot.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I spent a lot of time down in Clearwater at that little pool room where Bubby ......

The flamingo has always been a good action spot, still is as well. As long as Dales there something will happen somehow. I must of played in there 30/40 times when living in Clearwater.
Miss those pool days, they are few and far between nowadays.
That whole area had action all over in the mid to late 90s

Earl k. Did hang around there a lot.

Yes, I spent a lot of time down in Clearwater at that little pool room where Bubby (the Pawnshop guy) hung out. I had a crush on this sexy little model named Tara that hung out there so she was a good excuse to practice more than usual. Girls are the greatest incentive for excellence, much better than money could ever be. ;) imo

I gave Bubba the "Orange Crush" one time in there and won a big score, Buddy Hall won tens of thousands giving him that game with TR backing him. Those were some fun times, I especially liked Gerry(Geraldine)Titcomb, I heard she passed away earlier this year. She was a great player and fun lady to hang out with. RIP Gerry 'The Game was our Teacher'

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy Sanders and JoeMac

Thanks for the reply (by PM) Tommy. I tried to PM you back, but get a message saying you don't receive PM's. SO I thought I would post your reply here, hope you don't mind.

Thanks for the reply, Tommy. I remember going in halves with Joemac playing you at the Spur Lounge. You were giving up the 7 or 8, I don't remember, but I do remember you breaking and running somewhere around 12 to 14 racks before Joemac finally threw in the towel. You were unreal in those days, I'm glad I got to see it. As to how to reply in the thread, you explained it well to me in the PM. I look forward to seeing you post more, if you feel like it.
Punter,I hope you get Tommy to post more. I only see him ever so often at Winners Choice in Sulphur,La. JoeMac is a regular and he's a tough barbox player. Are you referencing the matchup in Beaumont with Mark Tadd and Tommy Sanders back around '91-92? If so, I have a story that relates to that night. Plus Mark going down to New Orleans to the Sport Palace to play some one hole with the locals. For sure, Tommy Sanders is a monster player. Thanks for posting.
Carl

optician

best one pocket in philly
Silver Member
hung out for a while long time ago with a monster player named tommy brown, from vineland nj. had one eye was a chld progdigy, move to florida opened pool room and past some time ago

Kadillac

Registered
There is a guy who goes by Cowboy, here. His real name is Emil. He is rated AAA in Colorado, and has played all over the west.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played Tommy several times at Peg's Pocket in Miami.

hung out for a while long time ago with a monster player named tommy brown, from vineland nj. had one eye was a chld progdigy, move to florida opened pool room and past some time ago

I played Tommy several times at Peg's Pocket in Miami. He was a hell of a player and I never could beat him there.....he had a lot of heart and talent that's for sure. RIP Tommy Brown

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your memory is good CJ, Vanover did play with a very very small shaft, looked like a pencil, he said the reason he played with that shaft was it allowed him to get tons of spin on the q ball when he needed it.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom Brown

When I was living in Germany in the late 80's, I traveled to Munich to see this guy who was gambling big and pocketing some huge Deutschemarks from some of top tier players. The Germans were amazed that the young guy with "eine auge" played so well. It was Tom Brown, and he played some jam up 9 Ball. One of his better matches was with another Tom, Tom Storm of Sweden!! After Munich he had some other invites around the country, but he pretty well killed all the big action by taking out the big guys in Munich!! RIP Tom!

Last edited:

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I spent a lot of time down in Clearwater at that little pool room where Bubby (the Pawnshop guy) hung out. I had a crush on this sexy little model named Tara that hung out there so she was a good excuse to practice more than usual. Girls are the greatest incentive for excellence, much better than money could ever be. ;) imo

I gave Bubba the "Orange Crush" one time in there and won a big score, Buddy Hall won tens of thousands giving him that game with TR backing him. Those were some fun times, I especially liked Gerry(Geraldine)Titcomb, I heard she passed away earlier this year. She was a great player and fun lady to hang out with. RIP Gerry 'The Game was our Teacher'

Haha, bubba. I think I've played him more sessions than anyone besides Johnny Ross. I must have matched up and played Bubba 30/40 times. He's definitely super action. I don't think there's 5 better action guys then him in America over the last few decades

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
uncanny ability to get under someone's skin and surgically remover their bank roll.

Haha, bubba. I think I've played him more sessions than anyone besides Johnny Ross. I must have matched up and played Bubba 30/40 times. He's definitely super action. I don't think there's 5 better action guys then him in America over the last few decades

That's right, Bubba would rather play Johnny than anyone else for some reason. Johnny has that effect, he's the ultimate hustler, you either play with him because you like him or dislike him, it makes no difference to him.

He has an uncanny ability to get under someone's skin and surgically remover their bank roll. He's done it to me a couple of times too, he used to wait and play me on the "third day"......I can't say that I blame him for that.