Using a bar cue for draw...

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
That makes sense. I guess I never think about anything other than how fast hitting off center makes the CB spin (RPM) which is what confused me about the implication that hitting it harder wouldn't affect this and I think of the "action" off the rail as more related to the speed and angle of the shot combined with the RPM of the spin on the ball.
It helps me to imagine a side-spinning ball going straight into a rail. Its rebound angle is the combination of straight-back rebound speed and sideways rubbing (side spin) speed. You have to change those proportions to change the angle.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all the beer that has been spilled on bar cues that makes them draw better. Einstein was studying it early in his career before he dropped the serious study of bar cues for his silly theory of relativity.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Going only by what I've learned from the real scientists on that list, I don't believe any cue spins the CB better than any other.

One problem with comparing draw (or follow) is that more speed/power = more draw/follow (unlike side spin), so it's hard to know what's causing it.

pj
chgo

One other thing Patrick. The lower you hit the center axis on the cue ball the greater the reverse spin will be. The closer you get to a miscue is also the closer you get to maximum draw! :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Challenge accepted,give me 60 mins:thumbup: Just one thing to consider as well - the speed of the cloth,its sometimes hard to compare results because someone has new Simonis 760 and the other one has 3 years old Simonis 860. Still i believe i can provide some shots long enough to not embarass myself :p :D

Well, that convinced me....I’ve only hit a few shots with one of those shafts and I didn’t
want to try any hard with somebody else’s cue.

It draws slightly better than my Joss...and that comes with a caveat...my conditions were
a Gold Crown I with 760 Simonis...cloth about six months old..but more importantly...
...the balls were about three years old.
So your draw may’ve Been as good as the Szamboti.

I hope you win a Euro tournament soon...AZ will be very pleased.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
One other thing Patrick. The lower you hit the center axis on the cue ball the greater the reverse spin will be. The closer you get to a miscue is also the closer you get to maximum draw! :)
I think that's pretty much the whole ball game for draw.

Mike Page described the challenge this way:

If we try several times to hit the same point on the CB we'll create a (hopefully small) "shot group" around it. The better our stroke, the smaller the shot group, so the closer we can aim to the miscue limit without too high a risk of miscuing.

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Going only by what I've learned from the real scientists on that list, I don't believe any cue spins the CB better than any other.

One problem with comparing draw (or follow) is that more speed/power = more draw/follow (unlike side spin), so it's hard to know what's causing it.

pj
chgo

This hasn’t been my experience, Patrick.

I remember being at Harley’s Action Billiards in Jacksonville...playing cheap 9-ball...
...the counter had rental cues...$2 for a Meucci...$5 for a Joss.
The Josses were all taken, so I took a Meucci...after a couple hours, a Joss became available...
...my draw position was going a way too far the first few games.

Incidently, that was the last time I saw Lori Shampo....God rest her

BTW...Bob Jewett should be in this discussion.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This hasn’t been my experience, Patrick.

I remember being at Harley’s Action Billiards in Jacksonville...playing cheap 9-ball...
...the counter had rental cues...$2 for a Meucci...$5 for a Joss.
The Josses were all taken, so I took a Meucci...after a couple hours, a Joss became available...
...my draw position was going a way too far the first few games.

Incidently, that was the last time I saw Lori Shampo....God rest her

BTW...Bob Jewett should be in this discussion.
The only explanation I have for what you saw is that one cue delivered a little more speed/power than another. That's not exactly what I'd call "spinning the ball more", but it can produce more draw or follow.

pj
chgo

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that convinced me....I’ve only hit a few shots with one of those shafts and I didn’t
want to try any hard with somebody else’s cue.

It draws slightly better than my Joss...and that comes with a caveat...my conditions were
a Gold Crown I with 760 Simonis...cloth about six months old..but more importantly...
...the balls were about three years old.
So your draw may’ve Been as good as the Szamboti.

I hope you win a Euro tournament soon...AZ will be very pleased.

I am glad i could show you that Revo really CAN perform ;) As for Eurotour win....man...thats REALLY tall order i tell you!:D:D:D I have to improve basically every aspect of my game to get a realistic chance for winning such thing! Especially my position game is rudimentary when compared to alpha dogs over there,also my break shot (9 on the spot) is not consistent enough to win all the way up,my kicking can get me out of the jam more often than not but still some way to go to get among top kickers. And my decision-making process is still work-in-progress but the more i compete against top guys the better it gets. Oh and one more thing - i am "just" an amateur who can practice 2-3 hours a day after work,there are guys doing triple of my time at the table...still i somehow believe that i can improve to the level where my heart can help me to cross that ability difference between me and "them":thumbup:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
OK, so I got one of my Valley 19 oz Supreme bar cues and put a dime shape on the tip. As I shot with it, it seemed very similar to what I remembered the bar cue felt like.

My bud was here using that cue the other night and asked, "What's up with the pointy tip on this thing?" I was just about to shoot a long table length draw shot and so I said, "Let me use that, and I'll show you."

I lined up, got nice and set, and let her fly! Felt good, stayed down, and the cueball zipped up table, hit the ob right into pocket, and then it sat there and laughed at me, not coming back an inch.

The draw shot didn't feel at all like what happened in the bar. Now, I'm more confused than ever....and now I have a pointy cue to go along with the confusion.

Jeff Livingston

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
OK, so I got one of my Valley 19 oz Supreme bar cues and put a dime shape on the tip. As I shot with it, it seemed very similar to what I remembered the bar cue felt like.

My bud was here using that cue the other night and asked, "What's up with the pointy tip on this thing?" I was just about to shoot a long table length draw shot and so I said, "Let me use that, and I'll show you."

I lined up, got nice and set, and let her fly! Felt good, stayed down, and the cueball zipped up table, hit the ob right into pocket, and then it sat there and laughed at me, not coming back an inch.

The draw shot didn't feel at all like what happened in the bar. Now, I'm more confused than ever....and now I have a pointy cue to go along with the confusion

Jeff Livingston
If you want to test how a cue spins on a bar box, Jeff, use an object ball for the cue ball.
....bar cue balls can be as crazy as bar rules.

EBC81B8B-C71B-4B3C-82F8-9C66D0D13288.jpeg

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Draw

I think it definitely depends on the cue. I just had a 60” ebony nosed southwest and a black boar players cue with the ld shaft Tony makes. It’s 58”. I play way better overall with the B.B. making way more shots with spin. But as far as draw, the bigger tip, heavier SW produced way more draw on the ball. I wish there was a way to get more effortless draw on the B.B.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed the same thing once. I needed to draw it back a few inches and it came back about 3 feet with the house cue vs my 312/2. I thought maybe it had to do with the stiffer shaft, different CB, amount of beers...not sure, but weird!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here are the physical explanations I can think of for more or less draw with different sticks - from greatest to least effect.

- hitting higher/lower on the CB (because it looks/feels different?)
- better/worse power transmission (weight, stiffness, tip hardness)
- more/less squirt (force into CB more/less horizontal)

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm no expert on the physics of draw, but I just read every page of the thread and only saw two quick comments about the cue ball, both of which were ignored. It's not just about the cue ball, btw, but about the object ball as well. If the cue ball is lighter than the object balls then there's probably your answer. It is the first thing I would check before worrying about the vibration frequency of the cue or the phase of the moon. Can you go back to that pool room and try the same thing using an object ball as the cue ball? Switch the cue ball and the object ball and see if anything happens.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I noticed the same thing once. I needed to draw it back a few inches and it came back about 3 feet with the house cue vs my 312/2. I thought maybe it had to do with the stiffer shaft, different CB, amount of beers...not sure, but weird!

Yep, exactly what happened to me.

Jeff Livingston