What is the most consecutive racks of 9 ball ever run?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
watch how table plays. like shit. rails sometimes kill english and cloth is slow. It and 4 inch pockets + pressure and lack of competition lately add up.
I actually thought the bounce off of the rails was perfect on the few highlight reels I saw. Both the speed and the angle. It played like a GC. The pockets I agree were very tight.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If those were 4" pockets, they'd look like this corner pocket.

This is what they are playing on….
IMG_0207.JPG

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was the one that guaranteed the Million Dollar annuity and he got the money after a legal battle with the Lloyds. The documentary on this is at www.masteringpocketbilliards.com in case anyone has questions or doesn't understand what happened on that historic day.
CJ: I'm curious whether Earl's amazing 9-ball run that day was captured on video? If I'm the insurer I would have wanted any of the run attempts taped, as a pre-condition.
Thanks for any enlightenment you may have time for, and would extend to me and any other folks who may have also wondered about the matter of recordings that day.

Arnaldo

DieselPete

CJ: I'm curious whether Earl's amazing 9-ball run that day was captured on video? If I'm the insurer I would have wanted any of the run attempts taped, as a pre-condition.
Thanks for any enlightenment you may have time for, and would extend to me and any other folks who may have also wondered about the matter of recordings that day.

Arnaldo

I don't have an answer regarding that insurance policy, but I have worked with insurance companies for other offers such as hole-in-one insurance, as well as halftime contests at basketball games (make a lay up, free throw, three pointer and half court shot within one minute to win, for example).

In those policies the insurer can require that the feat be videotaped, or they can have a designee at the event to act as their eyes and ears.

Often the prize for a hole-in-one is a car and the dealership will have a representative there. Sometimes (but not always) they will be up by the green and will check the hole after every group leaves to make sure the hole is empty. They do that because of a scam that was run on a tournament once.

The hole-in-one scam went like this, with the observer at the tee box and not near the green:

Your group plays the hole and leaves a ball in the hole with "Pete" written on it. When it is my turn to play in the next group, the guys in my group distract the observer and make sure that she is not watching. I then hit the ball nine miles sideways, and then start screaming that I aced the hole. My buddies, who act like they saw it, also start jumping up and down and patting my back and using my name a lot. "WAY TO GO PETE!"

We walk up to the hole with the observer, pull out the ball and show her that it says Pete on it.

And yes, that happened. I can't remember how they got caught though.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member

Arnaldo
Yes, we were required to video the last 5 racks of the run. It was done with my own, personal video camera and it's in the documentary.

9BallBanger

With the reputation of so many people being able to run so many rack in a row, that it's mind blowing, why is it, that the BEST players on the planet playing in the World Pool Masters event right now, in a race to 7, can't manage to run more than a 3 pack, or has someone finally done that yet? Didn't someone mention Joshua Filler just ran 25 racks in practice before this event? I would think with those abilities he'd have NO problem shutting out an opponent 7/0 with a 7 pack! So what's changed, no ball in hand to start with after the break?
A 25 pack playing the ghost and a legit 25 pack for the money are two totally different things, that's a no brainer

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
A 25 pack playing the ghost and a legit 25 pack for the money are two totally different things, that's a no brainer
I'm also assuming that these big numbers are coming on their practice tables. On a table they are very familiar with, they can really dial in the break and control the 1 a lot better than on a feature table where they get fewer chances to work things out. In terms of playing the ghost, Darren Appleton has a couple videos on his channel where he runs something like 15 and 20 racks taking ball in hand like it's no big deal.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sal Butera ran 23 racks. Dennis ran I wanna say 19 on camera not long ago. Every pro I’ve ever talked to has ran out the set to 9 at least once, some like John S. over 10 times in their career. I’m sure someone like FSR or Filler or Jayson has done 25+ pack in practice with a magic rack with 1 on the spot.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sal Butera ran 23 racks. Dennis ran I wanna say 19 on camera not long ago. Every pro I’ve ever talked to has ran out the set to 9 at least once, some like John S. over 10 times in their career. I’m sure someone like FSR or Filler or Jayson has done 25+ pack in practice with a magic rack with 1 on the spot.

I am highly skeptical of all of this.

None of it is impossible. Each of these independently could have occurred. But they are all extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely and special and rare. If God could be our judge and declare the winner I would bet against almost all of them.

Running 9 racks from the lag is possible and has probably been done. Maybe 2-3 times. Maybe never. But I don't believe that every pro has one, or that they have a bunch. I'd say the number of people that have run out a set to 9 on a 9' table is on one hand.

I do believe that if Shaw or Filler has the break working and is on soft equipment where 2-3 balls are going in and they can control the one ball, it is possible that in practice they could post a 20+. But these are two of the greatest offensive players in 9 ball history and it would take all the conditions right to have a shot. I think that most of what we here has been embellished a few times on the way to our ears.

Bar table is different and I don't count that.

Again, just my two cents. But I've played a lot of pool against the best in the world and it is really rare to see more than 3-5 racks of 9 ball. We witness hundreds of matches every tournament and thousands a year from the best of the best and it is really rare to see anything past that.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

None of it is impossible. Each of these independently could have occurred. But they are all extremely, extremely, extremely unlikely and special and rare. If God could be our judge and declare the winner I would bet against almost all of them.

Running 9 racks from the lag is possible and has probably been done. Maybe 2-3 times. Maybe never. But I don't believe that every pro has one, or that they have a bunch. I'd say the number of people that have run out a set to 9 on a 9' table is on one hand.

I do believe that if Shaw or Filler has the break working and is on soft equipment where 2-3 balls are going in and they can control the one ball, it is possible that in practice they could post a 20+. But these are two of the greatest offensive players in 9 ball history and it would take all the conditions right to have a shot. I think that most of what we here has been embellished a few times on the way to our ears.

Again, just my two cents. But I've played a lot of pool against the best in the world and it is really rare to see more than 3-5 racks of 9 ball. We witness hundreds of matches every tournament and thousands a year from the best of the best and it is really rare to see anything past that.
I feel same as you. I know FIller said he ran 20+ without box where he controlled one ball couple years ago on practice. Maybe some good cloth Valleys 20+ might be done but it have still odds like winning on lottery.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’ve heard of Sal’s pack from several people I asked him and he confirmed. Dennis’s run against SVB is on video. John S told me personally that he’s ran out sets and I 100% believe him. I’ve seen a low level pro ( 740 fargo ) put together a 7 pack, so I’m sure all over 800 elite players have ran 10+.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't sound likely, but if it did happen, I'd call it the equivalent of a run of over 2,000 in straight pool.

Even against the ghost, a 45-pack is almost inconceivable.
It wasn't a string just 45 mMaybe consecutive outs in the one session. Think I read this in the Grisham book.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm no big boy on a table and I've done 5s at least 3x.

I think it quite plausible that a (many) hi 700+ Fargo player has achieved 9.

Perhaps not in tourney, where the incentive is to win the game and that is best served by a safety rather than a flyer...

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
The break-and-run rate in professional tournament 9-ball on 9-ft tables runs around 25%.

So taking that rate, here are the odds of one player running racks under those conditions. I've bolded the rows which are easiest to remember:

B&Rs in a rowOdds
2-pack1 in 15
3-pack1 in 63
4-pack1 in 250
5-pack1 in 1,000
6-pack1 in 4,000
7-pack1 in 16,000
8-pack1 in 66,000
9-pack1 in 262,000
10-pack1 in a million
15-pack1 in a billion
20-pack1 in a trillion
25-pack1 in a quadrillion (1,000,000,000,000,000)
30-pack1 in a quintillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000)
40-pack1 in 1E+24 (1 followed by 24 zeros)

Last edited: