What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good points. It depends on the player I suppose. The likelyhood of your opponent kicking and leaving you hooked by accident is slim. More than likely they'll either get a hit and leave a shot or leave another safety option, or they'll foul. And all of these outcomes are better than going for a low percentage runout where losing is the most likely outcome.

Sometimes we have to drop our ego and play more strategically, rather than play ballz out every time simply because you have a starter shot.

I think a good video that would help weaker players would be to take this exact situation and show how effective the safety play would be against a good player, one that can kick well and won't give up a ball in hand.

The hardest part about choosing not to go for the runout is actually admitting that you don't think you can get out from here. That's something a player has to realize and accept based on his or her own experience. Without an honest assessment of skill level and current limitations, a lot of players will lose this game based on what they do with that 6 ball. This is usually where a weaker player will go for the runout, because it looks obvious with that easy starter shot. But what'll happen most of the time is they'll miss the 7 or not get a good a shot on the 8. And they'll leave their opponent the last 2 or 3 balls.
What fargo rating do you think would be the favorite to get out here? Suppose a 9' diamond with standard pockets.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
What fargo rating do you think would be the favorite to get out here? Suppose a 9' diamond with standard pockets.

Based on most of the players I know, I would guess a 580 or so could get out more than half the time, if they were on their game. I'd say a 600 to 630 would get out about 80% of the time, and over 630 would probably get out 90% or better every time.

This is just based on my experience and the players I know. I'm a 615, and I know I can get out here at least 8 out of 10 times pretty consistently. It would be interesting to get a group of players ranging from 450 to 700 Fargo, and have each player go for the runout 20 times or so to get some real data on the actual percentages.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Based on most of the players I know, I would guess a 580 or so could get out more than half the time, if they were on their game. I'd say a 600 to 630 would get out about 80% of the time, and over 630 would probably get out 90% or better every time.

This is just based on my experience and the players I know. I'm a 615, and I know I can get out here at least 8 out of 10 times pretty consistently. It would be interesting to get a group of players ranging from 450 to 700 Fargo, and have each player go for the runout 20 times or so to get some real data on the actual percentages.
I think that would be a great experiment. I disagree with your numbers though. I wouldn't think a 600-630 gets out 80% of the time. I think it's more difficult than that! On a bar table I think your numbers are much more accurate.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that would be a great experiment. I disagree with your numbers though. I wouldn't think a 600-630 gets out 80% of the time. I think it's more difficult than that! On a bar table I think your numbers are much more accurate.

You might be right for a Diamond 9ft. I have an 8ft Diamond but play a few hours every week on the 9 footers. You definitely have to be used to the table, so I was using myself as an example of 600 to 630 players being able to runout from here about 80% of the time or better.

I guess that's one inaccuracy when it comes to comparing Fargo scores with players in different regions... If you don't compete in Fargo-rated competitions outside of your local area, your Fargo score is more or less based on the players you're consistently playing with in your local league or local Fargo-rated events. So a 600 in one isolated area might be a 550 or 650 in another isolated area. The ratings would be more telling, more accurate and balanced out, if players from different areas were actually competing with each other on a regular basis.

JC

Coos Cues
Good points. It depends on the player I suppose. The likelyhood of your opponent kicking and leaving you hooked by accident is slim.
Perhaps but the likelyhood of your opponent kicking and leaving you a worse shot on the 6 than you have now is HUGE!!!!

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And if one can't execute the out displayed, the likelihood of a successful safe is somewhat questionable...
Totally agree, a safety here is just going backwards in my opinion. Using a basketball comparison, this would be like passing up a break away layup/dunk, in hopes of getting a better shot.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd try to shoot the 7 in the corner pocket "E". Shooting the 6 with high right, come around 2 rails short of the 7E tangent line to get an angle to go up table for the 8. I think I'll set this one up on the table right now to see how goes. Thanks!

Edit: I'm hoping that the angle on the 6 is enough to get the CB around the target area about midway between the 9 and side pocket "A"

Same here bud …. E ,,,,, top right and your home free !!!!!!

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a video link in support of the "E" option. I'm in day 4 of COVID and feeling good enough to get up and around so decided to play around with this since I can't do anything else. Everything is reversed in the video just because I have a car in the garage that I didn't feel like moving to clear the other side of the table.

https://youtu.be/H50k0Hf_nq4

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Totally agree, a safety here is just going backwards in my opinion. Using a basketball comparison, this would be like passing up a break away layup/dunk, in hopes of getting a better shot.

And if you're 5ft tall, still going for that dunk?? Lol

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And if one can't execute the out displayed, the likelihood of a successful safe is somewhat questionable...
Sometimes being on the lemon a step backwards is really a step forwards. (Advanced concept). I’m playing safe. This is a great time to do that.

However this topic isn’t covered until chapter 5 in the “How to” manual. This is still chapter 2.

more on this later,
Fatboy 😀

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Hello guys,

I am doing some research for a possible future video. Could you give me your vote on the pocket of your choice for the seven ball? I allowed to choose multiple pockets, in case you are trying to have multiple options depending on your accuracy in cue ball control.

This is the 9 Ball situation you're facing:

View attachment 603295
Pocket size and ball cleanliness conditions will determine D or C for me.
If I'm able to spin cut the 6 easily and hold cue ball position then I will have Much better control of cue ball speed cutting the 7 into pocket D.
Also by choosing D, I will be lag rolling the cue ball and be MUCH closer to the 8.
With pocket D....I will have MUCH better control of getting whitey above the 8 ball position to simplify my shape from the 8 to the 9.
If I roll long table to pocket C, then I must NOT get straight in on the 8 or land on the long rail.