What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's a 'scart'...?

Then what? Are you going to have a better chance to run out with ball in hand from where ever the 6 ends up?

This thread is not building skill but it sure is revealing it.
Uh...running out 4 balls from ball in hand versus unsure shape on the 7?

I like money so yeah, sometimes I will play a simple lock safe to win.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
T
But this is the actual landing zone for E:
View attachment 604274
From anywhere within that triangle. You are playing the shot on the 7 in the same fashion. Although being off the rail and not near pocket A makes it easier. You're not scrambling to 'insurance' pockets as some have called it.

You can even go beyond that triangle and draw the CB 8 ball shape.

To each their own. I have noticed the poll results have tightened up. That means either more have determined E as the best option, or maybe some previous voters have seen the light.
The minute you cross straight in on the 7...you will hit the 9 after making 7 and never see the 8.

You are coming across the line on this position and 2 rails high English can be tough to get the speed. If I see an opponent go for this, I probably have the chalk in my hand.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you have something to practice

Exactly. If you can’t play the 7 in either corner or either of the sides then I guess you don’t run out much. I have a GCV with 4 3/8 pockets. On either table from that angle if you hit the rails going it it will rattle. I see a lot of players here electing putting the 7 in the lower corner. From experience (not from ball making), more options are better. Also you are following the cue ball up table. I would take the seven up table all day long over the short shot with “possible” shape. I am curious how often those saying put the 7 in the lower corner run out. Or better yet play for money. I am guessing not to many.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. If you can’t play the 7 in either corner or either of the sides then I guess you don’t run out much. I have a GCV with 4 3/8 pockets. On either table from that angle if you hit the rails going it it will rattle. I see a lot of players here electing putting the 7 in the lower corner. From experience (not from ball making), more options are better. Also you are following the cue ball up table. I would take the seven up table all day long over the short shot with “possible” shape. I am curious how often those saying put the 7 in the lower corner run out. Or better yet play for money. I am guessing not to many.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
You have something to practice also😉

JC

Coos Cues
Uh...running out 4 balls from ball in hand versus unsure shape on the 7?

I like money so yeah, sometimes I will play a simple lock safe to win.
A simple lock down safe to win? No one is arguing against that when appropriate. Tell me where you plan to send the 6 ball with a better starting point even with ball in hand than right there on this table?

My experience is those who play "cute" safeties when the table is wide open usually end up opening their wallets even wider.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
T

The minute you cross straight in on the 7...you will hit the 9 after making 7 and never see the 8.

You are coming across the line on this position and 2 rails high English can be tough to get the speed. If I see an opponent go for this, I probably have the chalk in my hand.
lol... that was my line back in the early stages of this thread. Honestly though... If you believe you're going to get another turn at the table when your opponent is playing the correct pattern, then this speaks more to your experience level then your opponent's. I can say if we played you'd be holding on to your chalk nearly the entire match. ...not necessarily need it, but definitely holding it. ;)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I am curious how often those saying put the 7 in the lower corner run out. Or better yet play for money. I am guessing not to many.
Constantly... in both running out and playing in action. Of course I'm only 1 and not the many, so I can only speak for myself. In fact if I didn't get out 18/20 with this table layout I'd be upset. Skids happen...

I also thought early on that adding one's fargo to their opinion may shed some light on skill/experience vs pattern choice.

Edit: I reread the OP so I think it may be useful to add SL to the opinions. I have an unsubstantiated 677 (usually closer to 700spd).

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
T

Constantly... in both running out and playing in action. Of course I'm only 1 and not the many, so I can only speak for myself. In fact if I didn't get out 18/20 with this table layout I'd be upset. Skids happen...

I also thought early on that adding one's fargo to their opinion may shed some light on skill/experience vs pattern choice.
Paul Potier told me that the main difference between a pro and a shortstop isn't skill on the table it's decision making.

In this case I would like to gamble with anyone who sees this layout and decides pocket E is not the best choice.

My fargo is 610 is there anyone in this thread with that high or higher rating who likes pocket C for this table?

My guess is no, prove me wrong.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not really. When you lay it out on a real table like I did you do not have enough angle to drive the cue ball off the end rail and straight up table with high english without really pounding it. Move it one ball closer to the end rail where it would have to be in order for the line to point to below the 2nd diamond and it's just a smooth natural stroke like Sharivari does in his video.

So we are here debating the shot like the ten blind men and the elephant. All the while Sharivari started the thread never to be seen again.

I ignored the grid lines and placed the 6 ball in the middle of the line Sharivari shows in the diagram (from corner pocket to 2nd diamond). Then I lined the cb up as shown, which shooting straight on at the 6 would have it hit about 1/2 a diamond from the pocket). Using straight top or top inside works well.

Then I placed the 6 one diamond from the end rail and lined the cb to shoot the 6 straight to that half diamond mark again. Using straight top or top inside worked equally as well.

It's pretty much the same shot angle, same aim, for both setups.

Reactions: JC

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
T

I crossed the line one time out of 10. I drew the cb off the 9 and got on the 8.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I crossed the line one time out of 10. I drew the cb off the 9 and got on the 8.
I honestly only played the pattern twice. The first time I came up a hair thin on the 7 (first shot of the day) but still ran out. The second it went exactly as I thought it would.

I didn't hit it more than twice, cause this really is pretty elementary. I didn't see the value in burning time on something I know is going to work 95% of the time.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very astute observation. There'd most certainly be a strong correlation between higher fargo rates and pocket E.
You and/or I have commented in past threads about how the widely varying knowledge/skill/experience levels
make these discussions rather frustrating at times.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

7' player

JC

Coos Cues
Paul Potier told me that the main difference between a pro and a shortstop isn't skill on the table it's decision making.

In this case I would like to gamble with anyone who sees this layout and decides pocket E is not the best choice.

My fargo is 610 is there anyone in this thread with that high or higher rating who likes pocket C for this table?

My guess is no, prove me wrong.
Going once!

Going twice!

Sold!

That should pretty much wrap up this one.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Late to the dance but I am also in the camp shooting at corner pocket "C". While Sharivari has the skills to make it work he is coming into a narrow section of the shooting window from a bad angle. A tiny bit less roll and he is hooked by the nine, a little more and he is on the wrong side of the shotline to get shape on the eight. If I chose his shot I would move closer to the rail and away from the nine giving me a wider acceptable window. However, I like shooting at "C" with no danger of getting blocked and easy follow to the eight. With an empty table and the nine out in the open it becomes almost impossible to not get shape on the nine.

I can see an old school/new school breakdown in the voting. Those who play follow more often are comfortable with the follow shot. Those that rarely play follow, usually when forced into it, are more comfortable with using a draw shot. Neither following or drawing is wrong, just what a person is comfortable with. I do think Sharivari's pattern is wrong for most people, requires very nice speed control getting on the seven and that is an area many people have issues with, including myself! Days when I have speed control down really well my game jumps a bunch.

Hu

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Neither following or drawing is wrong, just what a person is comfortable with. I do think Sharivari's pattern is wrong for most people, requires very nice speed control getting on the seven and that is an area many people have issues with, including myself!
I'll stick my neck out and say that his approach is flat out wrong. Only reason not to hit the second rail is if the layout was different and some other ball is preventing it. Trying to go straight up and down, especially as tight as he did in the video, isn't something I'd suggest and probably why some are saying the pattern involving E is too risky.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
When I first saw this thread, I gave a quick look and voted E. I liked the path the cue ball would be taking from the 7 to the 8. Side rail to side rail would be my preference as the second rail kills any running English, whether applied or just picked up off the first rail.
Upon setting up the layout, I found one rail from 6 to 7 fit best for me. Maybe because I use This Lee Brett drill daily. The speed was no problem plus the one rail line has me running to a larger sweet spot.