What's The Evidence Of Your Pool Obsession...?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
if, in fact, you are obsessed with pool... :smile:

here is the thread where you can divulge what crazy thing(s) you have done that verify you are, indeed, obsessed with this game.

did you wake up one morning and realize that, 'holy crap', I can't make my rent payment this month but I can probably take one of my 9 Barry's down to the pawn shop and everything'll be okay? :D

did you drive 80 miles to play pool because where you were had no tables? :cool:

did you tell your bride on your wedding day that you were hoping to get that wrapped up a little early so you can hit some balls? :eek:

for me there's a few but one that jumps to mind, and I posted the pics in a recent thread about 'most beautiful cues', is that my living room wall above a large mirror always looked to me like a sea-of-vanilla, just too much bare wall.

So, what to put up there?

naturally, being pool-obsessed, I decided on elements from what, in my opinion, is the most beautiful cue ever made. a spectacular black boar. got my all-around talented artist buddy on the phone, told him what I had in mind, and voila, he got-r-done. ;)

I even had him paint some of the small flower/ivy designs to accent my antique bead counter down in the rec room.

So, what's the evidence of your pool obsession?

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Black-Boar-mural-full-updated.jpg
    Black-Boar-mural-full-updated.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 613
  • Black-Boar-mural-Eric.jpg
    Black-Boar-mural-Eric.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 598
  • bb-4.jpg
    bb-4.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 585
  • bb-3.jpg
    bb-3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 571
  • bb-2.jpg
    bb-2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Well....I'm not obsessed with pool (in denial), but I did do something that not many married men would be able to pull off.

I turned my living room into my man cave...pool table...tall tables...spectator chairs...wall hangings...etc. Turned a spare bedroom into the TV watching room...TV hanging on the wall...two recliners, and that's the only seating. Guests come over, and for the most part they have to sit and visit while shooting pool (somebody usually is up for a game). So basically....I made my house a "guest-free" zone...although family and good friends still come to see us and play some pool.

Try that, all you married men out there!!!

Maniac

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Well....I'm not obsessed with pool (in denial), but I did do something that not many married men would be able to pull off.

I turned my living room into my man cave...pool table...tall tables...spectator chairs...wall hangings...etc. Turned a spare bedroom into the TV watching room...TV hanging on the wall...two recliners, and that's the only seating. Guests come over, and for the most part they have to sit and visit while shooting pool (somebody usually is up for a game). So basically....I made my house a "guest-free" zone...although family and good friends still come to see us and play some pool.

Maniac

yep, that qualifies. :thumbup:

I've also heard of the guys who had to be clever by making (or buying) a table top for their pool table so it can be dined upon. :)

you gotta do whatch gotta do.

so, are maniac and me the only pool-obsessed ones here?

best,
brian kc

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
No matter how bad (frustrated, angry, etc) it makes me feel, I will come back tomorrow for more for the chance of a really good "high".

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hired a structural engineer to figure out how to move or remove a load bearing column, then hired a construction crew to jack up the house, dig and pour a new footer and move my in-the-way pole so I could have my pool table without ever needing a short cue. The table fit, but there would be the occasional shot I would need a short cue for and that would be UNACCEPTABLE. Does this count?

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some pics
ujena9yt.jpg
ygegesa7.jpg
vyqubusa.jpg
7abu4ysy.jpg

After removing the old wall and pole, I built a bar there. Now the table has tons of room around it.

Last edited:

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a 9 foot diamond and stored it in a garage. I then spent a year finding and purchasing a house that it would fit in.

I spent six figures on my pool obsession. How's that?

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my proof:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

On a serious note...I'm starting to see how pool can just suck the life out of you. It can be an all consuming obsession. I have a hard time stepping away from it. At times, it's the only thing on my mind. I really think this game could drive me insane....that is if I wasn't so far above average in the sane department.:wink:

Last edited:

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think I'm completely obsessed yet but here's two for you.
My father and I always hunt or fish on weekends. The last few weekends I've found myself saying I'll be home early and not getting home until at least 2 in the morning. Waking up at 4 to go hunting is rough when you come in at 2!

And the best yet, I found a used Jacoby for $250 last year that a local shop had. The owner had a huge deal to go to to sell cues (what a mouth full) that weekend and I found it on Thursday. Well, I only had 150$ to my name and wasn't working but I wanted that thing so bad. I ended up getting the rest of the money from my girlfriend that I had only met a few months before and dated for maybe 2 months. And on top of that, she only made minimum wage.

Wonders of a teenage pool player :) lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dchan320

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about having a second child so the wife is willing to consider a bigger home (one large enough for a pool table) - does that count?

PM for ultrasound pics and specs. :D

-Doug

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
My shop used to be full of old ford muscle cars. Now it full of lathes, mills, saws and wood.

Larry

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've stuck with this game for forty plus years, working and toiling in the trenches for the most part. :thumbup:

I once rented a double garage about three miles from my home and converted it into my own private poolroom. The neighbors thought I was crazy, playing pool out there until late at night. My friend Ming and I would often practice there for hours on end, playing races to nine to help her prepare for the WPBA events. If it got chilly at night we would close the door and keep on playing. I loved that place!

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member

Maniac

I can match that. When my wife and I decided to buy a house eight years ago, my wife knew to ask for a 14 X 18' space, minimum, for my nine foot diamond at that time I had yet to even acquire.

A couple of years later, was thinking of getting one of the one piece slate pro am tables for my basement. I measured the stairwell and it would not accommodate the table. I told my wife that it would not fit. Her eyes got wide and she said, god bless her, "we'll, have to move". Ha ha ha, what a gal! Damn I'm lucky!

I ended up with the drop pocket pro table which fit no problem. But man, I gotta good woman! She's a talented muralist too. I may complain from to time, but i'm living the dream...

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
Hmmm, I took the dishes out of one of my cupboards to store some of my most figured woods. Does that count?

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I've stuck with this game for forty plus years, working and toiling in the trenches for the most part. :thumbup:

I once rented a double garage about three miles from my home and converted it into my own private poolroom. The neighbors thought I was crazy, playing pool out there until late at night. My friend Ming and I would often practice there for hours on end, playing races to nine to help her prepare for the WPBA events. If it got chilly at night we would close the door and keep on playing. I loved that place!

I really like that garage idea... .When you factor in the cost of drinks, food, table time and driving time/gas (for those who have to drive far to a decent table)... I could see how that type of arrangement could work really well for a small collective of really good friends who are serious about the game. If you're going to a pool hall to try to rustle up game, hook up with girls or because you don't have anyone to hit balls with, that's a different story...

Simply getting away from being forced to listen to gangsta rap at almost nightclub sound levels 80% of the time when I'm at the table, and then coming home smelling like the busiest ashtray in Florida is almost reason enough for me to consider this kind of arrangement...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really like that garage idea... .When you factor in the cost of drinks, food, table time and driving time/gas (for those who have to drive far to a decent table)... I could see how that type of arrangement could work really well for a small collective of really good friends who are serious about the game. If you're going to a pool hall to try to rustle up game, hook up with girls or because you don't have anyone to hit balls with, that's a different story...

Simply getting away from being forced to listen to gangsta rap at almost nightclub sound levels 80% of the time when I'm at the table, and then coming home smelling like the busiest ashtray in Florida is almost reason enough for me to consider this kind of arrangement...

And it was only $200 a month! A bargain in my estimation. I could sneak away, get in stroke, and then show up at the poolroom and tell them I haven't hit a ball in months. :thumbup:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Let's see...

I play a minimum of 35 hours a week. I met my quota for this week with 2.5 days of play...

Does that qualify????

Jaden