What's your estimated fargo rating if you beat 9 ball ghost more often than not?

tdmga08

Registered
Longhorns2, you can email Fargorate and request a Starting Rating. Because of my work and family I dont get out to tournaments like I used to. I had occasionally played in local leagues and if I wanted to play in a Regional League event I requested a Starter Rating. They initially gave me a 550 Rating. I emailed them back and reiterated my 30 yrs experience and that the last local weekly tournament I played in recently I won a 10 Ball event and that the last time I played in a Team event we won an Annual Tournament with 30+ Teams. He adjusted my Starter Rating to 625. I could probably go deep and get decent money with a 550 at Regional League Event but I prefer to play at a higher level. I recently played in a US Open Qualifier and did ok even though I didnt get in the money. Unfortunately and I dont know why that tournament did not report the matches to Fargorate, I really would have liked to see what it would have done to my rating.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Samiel, I agree with your assessment, except would tweak the 9 foot Diamond range to 650-675. It could vary a little out of the range depending how difficult the conditions are.
True. I've played on some very worn Diamonds and they were plenty tough. I've also played on Diamonds with fast/slick/new cloth and they were much easier.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me playing the ghost on a 9’ Diamond My fargorate 583.

https://youtu.be/LLd8ktZKH0w[/QUOT

I don't have a Fargo rate but if you are a 583 I'm a 300!! Nice shooting sir.

Thanks I just posted this to show that Fargo ratings can be off. I also made references to instances earlier in this thread. I do think that fargorate is the best rating system out there but it takes a lot of games to be accurate. I have no clue what my rating actually is as I have very few games in the system

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d bet against a 650 with at least 1000 robustness playing the 9 ball ghost on a diamond pro cut 9’ table until the cows came home. Not one videoed set where the player can ignore failed sets and only show us the successful sets. But if he was on a live stream or in person and we bet every set he played.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious if Dr Dave beats the 9b ghost on a Diamond? I'm sure he has, but is it more than 50%?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’d bet against a 650 with at least 1000 robustness playing the 9 ball ghost on a diamond pro cut 9’ table until the cows came home. Not one videoed set where the player can ignore failed sets and only show us the successful sets. But if he was on a live stream or in person and we bet every set he played.

Yuuuuuuuuup!

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

Would you bet against a 687? I’ll grab the camera.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is a good point. I’m not sure what Fargo rating you would have to be at to beat the ghost consistently on a 9’ Diamond. I really don’t play the ghost that often and when I do most of the time I don’t keep score. I know that I do lose sets to the ghost quite often if I’m keeping score. I just bought the camera in December so this was the first time I had recorded any sets with it. But for anyone to beat the ghost more times than they lose on a 9’ Diamond is a tall order. There’s no shame in it. A lot of people can’t. Then there are some that make it look easy.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

Well... Would you bet against me and give me a little money odds? I am well below 650, and you've played me before, so you have a rough idea of my capabilities....

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you bet against a 687? I’ll grab the camera.

I think I would, although this one would be close, and I'd call it a day if I got beat bad. Where-as the 650, I'd go bust.

As far as the logistics to actually make a bet happen, its probably too much hassle for the player, for you and the cameras, and for me to sit and watch it on a stream:)

I'd also stipulate no pattern racking, and scratches on the break all the balls spot up and then resume the inning. Everything else I'd be ok with, including soft breaking.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well... Would you bet against me and give me a little money odds? I am well below 650, and you've played me before, so you have a rough idea of my capabilities....

Yes, I'd give you odds. Again, its logistically not practical that we'd ever figure out a way to do it. But I'd def give you something. What is your Fargo btw and what is its robustness?

Its funny most of the players I know well who are closer to my speed in Philly have almost no Fargo Ratings, because none of them play in leagues. We all despise them. So I don't have anyone close to my speed that has a well established fargorate, and the big events (Diamond DCC and Tunica) I played in are stuck in 1992 and don't record any scores.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member

What does robustness mean in this instance?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does robustness mean in this instance?

FargoRate has two numbers. One is the player's rating itself. The second is how many games of data the system has for said player. That number of games is what FargoRate calls "Robustness".

If a player has less than 300 games/robustness recorded, they don't have an official FargoRate number. There will be a number there, but it is deemed unreliable because it can swing widely.

I personally have watched the Fargoratings of the top pros move back and forth the past few years, and my "personal" feelings is they can move quite a bit until the robustness is in the 1000 range.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Yes, I'd give you odds. Again, its logistically not practical that we'd ever figure out a way to do it. But I'd def give you something. What is your Fargo btw and what is its robustness?

Its funny most of the players I know well who are closer to my speed in Philly have almost no Fargo Ratings, because none of them play in leagues. We all despise them. So I don't have anyone close to my speed that has a well established fargorate, and the big events (Diamond DCC and Tunica) I played in are stuck in 1992 and don't record any scores.

I have a 580 Fargorate and I think the robustness is high.

You mentioned in another response that you'd bet against a 675 playing the ghost on a Diamond Pro/Am?

I can absolutely, 100% guarantee you'll go broke betting on that. Josh O'Neal from Nashville, someone you've prolly never heard of, is around 716 Fargorate, and came one shot from beating Neils Feijen at Derby last month in the 9 ball. He's just a few points above 675, and from watching him, I would assume he dominates the ghost.

IMHO, a 675 is expected to beat the 9 ball ghost on a Pro/Am prolly 75% of the time. Maybe even more. As a 580, I have a video of myself beating the 9 ball ghost 7-4 on a funky Red Label Diamond Pro/Am. Once I lose a bit of weight, I am planning on making my attempts at the 2019 9 ball/10 ball ghost, and the straight pool challenge. I now have a tight Gold Crown III with extended subrails, so it plays about the same as a Diamond.

Realistically, as I don't play that much, your bet against me with you giving a little money odds, is a lot safer. But if you go betting people north of 650 on the 9 ball ghost on anything bigger than 4" pockets, you are asking for trouble. Jonathan Tedder, of DCC action fame, has been known to bet on himself beating the ghost, and he wouldn't keep doing it if he wasn't winning. He's around a 650 Fargorate.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
FargoRate has two numbers. One is the player's rating itself. The second is how many games of data the system has for said player. That number of games is what FargoRate calls "Robustness".

If a player has less than 300 games/robustness recorded, they don't have an official FargoRate number. There will be a number there, but it is deemed unreliable because it can swing widely.

I personally have watched the Fargoratings of the top pros move back and forth the past few years, and my "personal" feelings is they can move quite a bit until the robustness is in the 1000 range.

Pretty sure its 200 games not 300. Maybe you hit the wrong button
Jason