When you can't get natural angle;.... do you use draw or follow?

Which do you normally use? Follow? or Draw? (Assuming you cannot use natural angle)

• Just a SINGLE CHOICE to poll AZ'ers as to which they tend to use more often. I've made visual obs of

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • several talented players and seems even they have no preference. Which do you like?

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Answering both threads. Depends on the dimensions and if/how the shot is biased ie. towards the side or bottom rail. Nothing else withstanding, follow.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I won't comment on the shot shown in post #1 because that is a poor example of the question being asked. The short anwer is that Follow is easier to control than Draw, and it should be the prefered way to go when there is a choice.

I can't help wondering if the choice on this shot isn't age or big table/little table related. People today from beginner to top pro seem to think of draw first. Older players I think are more inclined to use follow to achieve their objectives.

Hu

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I won't comment on the shot shown in post #1 because that is a poor example of the question being asked. The short anwer is that Follow is easier to control than Draw, and it should be the prefered way to go when there is a choice.
What's considered a good example of the question asked? I'm curious of your example and comment. Thanks (y)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There is no correct answer, I would say always follow v/s draw. Reason many years ago a guy who WAS AT THAT TIME FRIEND!

Was at one time short stop speed player said, Draw is harder to control than Follow. Have yet to find those facts disputable for self.

IMHO he was right DRAW IS HARD TO CONTROL.

The original question is like surface streets or interstate easier to drive. Personal preference, one might be faster depending on traffic.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no correct answer, I would say always follow v/s draw. Reason many years ago a guy who WAS AT THAT TIME FRIEND!

Was at one time short stop speed player said, Draw is harder to control than Follow. Have yet to find those facts disputable for self.

IMHO he was right DRAW IS HARD TO CONTROL.

The original question is like surface streets or interstate easier to drive. Personal preference, one might be faster depending on traffic.
That's a super great analogy.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Maybe I read it wrong but it seems like he is asking what to do on a fairly straight in shot to create more angle... so if a shot already had angle, the example in question wouldn't even exist. Maybe it's me though....

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drawing with LHE is more likely to rattle the 8 due to spin transfer. RHE helps pocket the 8 as it slides off the jaw.

High right all day for me.

Rail first is difficult as the CB is very close to the rail.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I have in similar positions, just played for the bank on the 9. If I figured my percentage on the bank was better than my percentage on a shape that was at my limit. Prefer playing the cue ball for my best straight back.
With the shape and the make I have 2 places I could fail. Over amp to get the shape and rattle the ball. Cinch the shot but come short on the shape. Generally I prefer a natural straight back bank.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally depends on the table/ball conditions. Lately I've been playing on equipment that is ridiculously easy to draw on, but not too easy to follow. But I do also play on some older equipment that is hard to power draw on, but fairly easy to spin of the rails... I'm also going forward on those tables.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I have in similar positions, just played for the bank on the 9. If I figured my percentage on the bank was better than my percentage on a shape that was at my limit. Prefer playing the cue ball for my best straight back.
With the shape and the make I have 2 places I could fail. Over amp to get the shape and rattle the ball. Cinch the shot but come short on the shape. Generally I prefer a natural straight back bank.
I like your line of thought.
I practiced this for an hr last night, and my percentages were worse than posted. I hit it with so much draw that it didn't even come back for the rail, it just hit the tangent like it had no spin at all and went straight down the table toward the 9 hit it- double kissed, and sat there right above the 9 ball. I was dumbfounded.
Imagine playing under the heat in a $$$ game or tourney!

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Am I missing something here? How can 30% of people think draw is the right shot? I was at the end of hitting some balls around and randomly remembered this thread, hit record. Maybe I’ve got the balls set up to straight, but I don’t see how draw is any way the right shot here…..

EDIT: I just looked at the poll and realized only 3 people voted 😂 So maybe not so mysterious after all.

Last edited: