which seller pricing method is more annoying?

iowa_player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I have found one of the most annoying things is an OPINION based thread in the wanted and for sale section . There is nothing for sale or wanted and every time someone replys to one of these threads it bumps down a thread for something that should be here like something WANTED OR FOR SALE !!!

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
i dont mind pm'ing somebody for a price.. because if its a cue i know that is really expensive and not in the budget , i just drool for a bit and then pass it by...

i hate making offers because you have know clue what they are looking to get and if you really want something, and your offer isnt what they are looking for , they usually end up selling something before you have a chance to counter offer...

chris

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
279   0   0
I have found one of the most annoying things is an OPINION based thread in the wanted and for sale section . There is nothing for sale or wanted and every time someone replys to one of these threads it bumps down a thread for something that should be here like something WANTED OR FOR SALE !!!

Agreed...these threads should be on another section for complaints..issues..whatever..but please don't put it here. Main forum section should be good.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
iowa_player said:
I agree, this section of the forum should be for Billiard Items For Sale or Wanted to Buy only and I see posts in this section almost daily that should be in another part of this forum...

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
SCCues said:
I agree, this section of the forum should be for Billiard Items For Sale or Wanted to Buy only and I see posts in this section almost daily that should be in another part of this forum...

I agree! these people should be warned once or twice and then
removed if they can't grasp the concept.

Wait a minute, isn't this one of them?
:cool:

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Unfortunately, it's hard to post prices upfront anymore because people have just become really inconsiderate these days. As a cue seller, you spend countless hours going through websites, Ebay, dealer's lists, etc. to find deals where you can make a profit. A seller has overhead and expenses just like any other business and these must be covered as well as hopefully, a little profit margin at the end. You have to gamble and take risks that sometimes turn out bad. Occasionally, you find a diamond, but this seems to be the exception nowadays.

After you spend hours finding the deals, and usually some that aren't so great, you come up with something for sale. You decide what you need for the cue and then you post it for sale. What happens? Immediately, there are nits, twits, and self proclaimed defenders of the weak, telling you and anybody else that looks at your ad what it cost, what they think a proper pricing level is, where you got it from, and all the history that they or anyone else thinks it might have had. Now, if they were truly buyers, they could simply negotiate to acceptable terms, or go on to the next deal. These people aren't a bit interested in buying, though, they just want to feel important or like a crusading hero to the weak who can't make rational decisions on their own, I guess.

These folks never seem to notice the cue you bought and sold at a loss to cover weekly bills, or that you bought "in great condition" that you end up selling for half because it was a piece of junk that you sure wouldn't pass on like it was presented to you. They find the Palmer window cue that you found in a pawn shop for $100 (after hitting the pawnshops for years) that you marked up to a real market value to offset your losses. You didn't screw anyone, but you sure get made to feel like you're running a shell game.

Don't get me wrong, it's one thing to warn fellow AZB'rs about a fraud or misrepresentation, but a legitimate business deal should be between a buyer and seller, not the peanut gallery. That's why I choose to PM people prices.

By the way, I do hate when a person asks me to make an offer. I don't have any clue what they need for it and I don't want to be insulting. Sellers do this, obviously, to maximize their profits and not leave money on the table, but I think that pricing should, at least, have a baseline that can always be negotiated.

Steve

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
IMO, both are annoying.

I strongly favor the asking price method... if you're trying to sell something, include an asking price... and see what interest you get. If priced to sell, it will. If not, it won't... and you may get some offers to buy below your asking price... and you get to decide if you should accept the offer... pretty simple in my mind... fwiw.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Well said, Steve.

FWIW (and I've mentioned this before) most of the very popular non-pool Forums have a rule requiring FS Items to have a price listed. Offer more, offer less, or don't offer at all, but I agree with the policy.

I, too, will PM a price to a Seller, but only if there's a starting price point.

And speaking of "more-usable-rules-for-everyone", this Thread really belongs in the General Forum.

-von

Hunter said:
By the way, I do hate when a person asks me to make an offer. I don't have any clue what they need for it and I don't want to be insulting. Sellers do this, obviously, to maximize their profits and not leave money on the table, but I think that pricing should, at least, have a baseline that can always be negotiated.

Steve

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hunter said:
Unfortunately, it's hard to post prices upfront anymore because people have just become really inconsiderate these days.
After you spend hours finding the deals, and usually some that aren't so great, you come up with something for sale. You decide what you need for the cue and then you post it for sale. What happens? Immediately, there are nits, twits, and self proclaimed defenders of the weak, telling you and anybody else that looks at your ad what it cost, what they think a proper pricing level is, where you got it from, and all the history that they or anyone else thinks it might have had. Now, if they were truly buyers, they could simply negotiate to acceptable terms, or go on to the next deal. These people aren't a bit interested in buying, though, they just want to feel important or like a crusading hero to the weak who can't make rational decisions on their own, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, it's one thing to warn fellow AZB'rs about a fraud or misrepresentation, but a legitimate business deal should be between a buyer and seller, not the peanut gallery. That's why I choose to PM people prices.

Steve
TAP, TAP. TAP.

What you have to understand is that the moderator condones's this type of practice. I was told by him that people are "just looking out for each other".
Well , I consider myself one of "the people". He said that to ask people to support those that are in this industry just because they sell within "really doesn't fly with more people in the forums." UUUhhh...What???? Please!

These people are nothing more than railbirds that would be chastised if they blew someone's hustle in a pool room or bar, why should this be any different.

By the way...although I couldn't help but participate, this really doesn't belong here.

Gene

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
i agree that this is the wrong forum for this type of thread. i apologize to all for interfering with your business here. the advertising cost here on this forum justifies your complaints. :)

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
larrynj1 said:
i agree that this is the wrong forum for this type of thread. i apologize to all for interfering with your business here. the advertising cost here on this forum justifies your complaints. :)

I'm sure that apology will go over well. You jest, but I for one see my advertising cost in the form of lower pricing for the members here. Called a discount, but still, in a way, advertising cost.

Gene

J

jimmymac

OMG can people stop whinning about how individuals chose to run their thread. They're not doing anything wrong. So what, you can not see how much they want for it or your to shy to offer something. It's all part of the sells game NO BIG DEAL. Quit kicking the tires and buy something and stop complaining. No one tells you how to put your pants on in the morning, everyone is different, it makes the world go around. So what if it add's more wasted time for them it's there choice. If you need to ask you probably can not afford it anyways or was not really interested in buying. Everyone needs top stop acting like children.

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
If its for sale, it should have a price!!!!

Cant stand the..email for price. Also, since we are on our soapbox...i wish the for sale section was broken down by price....like 0-250, 250-750, 750+..i would look here more often. It just takes to long to sort through all the stuff that you dont want. 0.02

GoTulane

Shizzle-rific
Rating - 100%
116   0   1
Hunter said:
Immediately, there are nits, twits, and self proclaimed defenders of the weak, telling you and anybody else that looks at your ad what it cost, what they think a proper pricing level is, where you got it from, and all the history that they or anyone else thinks it might have had. Now, if they were truly buyers, they could simply negotiate to acceptable terms, or go on to the next deal. These people aren't a bit interested in buying, though, they just want to feel important or like a crusading hero to the weak who can't make rational decisions on their own, I guess.
Steve

I whole heartedly agree on this point. too many hall monitors who are just speaking to have themselves heard, but do not care what the outcome is, or if it makes sense. if this was done in another setting, we would call them cockblockers, so I guess they are cueblockers?

rep for you on your description of the problem

Michael

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with those who like the price posted. Most of the sellers on this thread do post the price. When someone asks yu for your offer I always tend to think they hooked into something for a cheap price and are looking to make a killing, I could be wrong but this is the impression it gives me. Or they don't actually own the cue, yet. They are trying to sell something owned by someone else and are looking to just flip the item.

As to where to post this type of question. I think this thread is the correct thread. Afterall the question is about buying/selling an item.

SphinxnihpS

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that if you want to sell a cue here you should be able to do it however you want; ask, offer, PM, bid, whatever.

I also think that a thread like this is PERFECTLY legit since it is about buying and selling pool or pool-related equipment, AND will not get replied to in other forums (I hardly even read the other ones, and I'm sure I am not alone).

Wah wah wah if you have to bump your sales threads,

like you don't do it constantly anyway...

How about people that sell cues for a living/as a buisness should have to pay to advertise and post here?

Cry me a river.

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I just never respond to the "PM for a price" ads. If there's no starting price listed, they lost me at jump street...Tom

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
557   0   0
This Thread Belongs In This Section.... It's A Wanted For Sale Topic, Which Should Be Discussed By The People Who Buy And Sell Here, Not By The People Who Argue Deflection, And Tangent Lines.

Now, As Far As The Question Goes, They Are Both Annoying, But Make An Offer Is Worse...... I Personally Do Not Make Offers On Cues, If The Seller Insists I Just Go So Low That I Know They'll Pass. Problem Is, They Don't Counter Offer, They Just Pass On My Offer...... Everything Has A Price, And The Seller Knows How Much They Want To Get For Their Item. If They Don't, They Shouldn't Be Selling It.

I Have A Retail Electronics Store, And Would Never Ask My Customers, To E-mail Me For Price, And I Certainly Wouldn't Ask Them To Make Me An Offer.

Even With The Cues I Have That Aren't Really For Sale, I'll Normally Give A Price If Somebody Asks, Or Just Say Not For Sale. I Just Don't Understand The Make Me An Offer Approch.

As A Seller You Know What You Paid For The Item, You Know, Or Should Know How Much You Want To Make, Price The Item Accordingly....... Is It That Hard To Understand? Or To Figure Out?

If I Walked Into A Store, And They Said Make An Offer, I'd Walk Out.

I Also Understand That Sellers Want To Make The Most Profit Possible, But Then At Least Start High And Work From There. But You Are Only Hurting Yourself By Asking For Offers, I Know I Am Not Th Only Collector That Refuses To Make Offers.