Who and Why was LD shaft invented

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I know very little about LD shafts.

This is what I have heard and i could be wrong.

In the mid 80ees production cue companies just couldnt keep up with the deman of good seasoned solid maple shafts and trying to warranty the shafts that were warping.

One of the production cue companies was going broke and didnt pay their maple shaft wood supplier and they got cut off.
at that time the only maple they could get was low grade so the started to glue it together and turning shafts out.

all the other cue companies having problems with shafts warping jumped on the band wagon and now it is hard to find a 125..00 cue with solid maple shaft.

The other part is i dont think pool players realy know what a art it is to pick and produce shafts that stay straight.

Not wanting to upset anyone but i have had a lot of predator and Muecci shafts chucked up in my lathe And i am not impressed with them.

The g core shafts and other production cue makers with all the resin and epoxy in the shafts in my opinion kills the hit of the shaft and the sound and feed back sucks......

I have heard the new tiger shafts play nice And i have a new kevin varney cue in that has one of his Ld shafts on it.
The kevin Vaney cue plays very nice with a lot of ball control.

In a nut shell I get the impression That the Ld shaft came into existence
because solid maple shafts are to expensive to warranty warpage.
plus the fact the cues you have in stock are warping faster than they can be sold

The out come seems to have its positive side of low deflection hit.
Thus making it possible to get more spin being able to do more with CB control.
Learning how to control all the spin plus deflection is where some pool players do really well with this. And other pool players dont and it makes their game inconsistent.

Not to take pool cues back 40 years but one thing i was taught was keep it simple stupid look for the natural path of the cue ball first.

If some one knows the (truth) about who invented and mass produced the first LD shafts and why Ld shafts were invented I would like to Know.

MMike
A certain classic cue maker who is no longer with us unfortunately, used the best old growth maple out there and the number of grains in his shafts was High, as well as the grain lines running straight for the length of the shaft. He said they could warp otherwise.
I personally have several of his shafts with grain counts over 14 to a high of 20, if my eyes aren't deceiving me. Tight and evenly spaced grain lines. Not these big lines you see on shafts nowadays.
Nothing like the hit and feel of an old growth shaft!!👍🏻

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
A certain classic cue maker who is no longer with us unfortunately, used the best old growth maple out there and the number of grains in his shafts was High, as well as the grain lines running straight for the length of the shaft. He said they could warp otherwise.
I personally have several of his shafts with grain counts over 14 to a high of 20, if my eyes aren't deceiving me. Tight and evenly spaced grain lines. Not these big lines you see on shafts nowadays.
Btw... He would toss anything that had less than 10 in the seconds can.👍🏻

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

This is what I have heard and i could be wrong.

In the mid 80ees production cue companies just couldnt keep up with the deman of good seasoned solid maple shafts and trying to warranty the shafts that were warping.

One of the production cue companies was going broke and didnt pay their maple shaft wood supplier and they got cut off.
at that time the only maple they could get was low grade so the started to glue it together and turning shafts out.

all the other cue companies having problems with shafts warping jumped on the band wagon and now it is hard to find a 125..00 cue with solid maple shaft.

The other part is i dont think pool players realy know what a art it is to pick and produce shafts that stay straight.

Not wanting to upset anyone but i have had a lot of predator and Muecci shafts chucked up in my lathe And i am not impressed with them.

The g core shafts and other production cue makers with all the resin and epoxy in the shafts in my opinion kills the hit of the shaft and the sound and feed back sucks......

I have heard the new tiger shafts play nice And i have a new kevin varney cue in that has one of his Ld shafts on it.
The kevin Vaney cue plays very nice with a lot of ball control.

In a nut shell I get the impression That the Ld shaft came into existence
because solid maple shafts are to expensive to warranty warpage.
plus the fact the cues you have in stock are warping faster than they can be sold

The out come seems to have its positive side of low deflection hit.
Thus making it possible to get more spin being able to do more with CB control.
Learning how to control all the spin plus deflection is where some pool players do really well with this. And other pool players dont and it makes their game inconsistent.

Not to take pool cues back 40 years but one thing i was taught was keep it simple stupid look for the natural path of the cue ball first.

If some one knows the (truth) about who invented and mass produced the first LD shafts and why Ld shafts were invented I would like to Know.

MMike
Sounds as reasonable as anything else I've heard. Thanks for posting!!👍🏻

giddyup

Re. "A certain classic cue maker who is no longer with us unfortunately" Would you mind sharing who this cue maker was? I love my Cog. solid maple shaft. But, I'm always curious. Thanks.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Laminated shafts have nothing to do with being low deflection. It's just glued together wood. End mass affects deflection properties.
Old thread, so it might bear repeating. Laminated Predators are LD because they're hollow at the tip (low end mass), not because they're laminated.

pj <- they have a patent on the hole
chgo

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting but most P shafts from the mid 60s and 70s stayed fairly straight even to this day. I rarely encounter an older Palmer shaft that is very warped- Mostly just minor acceptable taper rolls from what I have seen.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any player who Google's up "A River of Wood" will understand that time is the more important quantity.

Also Note:: An 11mm tip on a solid shaft IS low deflection already. The radially glued shafts are LD because they drill a hole in the front you can't see under the ferrule and tip.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
yea also partly because it has less craftsman in it. easier to make with a machine by a less killed person. cheaper overall to produce and so many believe in it being their cureall for not knowing how to play shots.

but you can see it made the great players able to to beat the best like efrin who plays with a regular shaft. oh wait they still cant beat him.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this post is 15 some years old… the first post sounds like the biggest wive’s tale I’ve ever heard.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Re. "A certain classic cue maker who is no longer with us unfortunately" Would you mind sharing who this cue maker was? I love my Cog. solid maple shaft. But, I'm always curious. Thanks.
Nothing personal, but I'd rather not. His cues are in high demand as is.
I don't want to be the guy that inadvertently made them even more expensive. Lol.
Let's just say, you'll know 'em when you see 'em!!😁

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its all about aging the wood the doles should be aged in a consistent atmosphere for some time to make sure humidity has expired. solid wood or lamenated it makes no difference. an art itself knowing when to turn down a shaft.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a Predator video that goes over the early days and experiments. It came out about a year or two ago. Good info for those into this. It might be the Revo history video, I can’t remember exactly which one.

The Meucci shaft ferrule was thinner and less dense than most others at the time, before Predator. (That’s also why it cracked more).

Predator’s early patent main independent claims covered two areas that made low deflection: 1) the hollow region at the front of the shaft. 2) the density (or maybe it was Young’s Modulus, I forget) of the ferrule material.

After Predator 314 blew away everything else on the market as far as cb deflection went, several other brands started reducing the end mass.

Meucci changed their tenon design so it was tapered like the front of a pencil. This created a hollow area within the ferrule, resulting in lower end mass. I think they only did this on the black dot shafts, not the red dot, but may be mistaken.

OB came out with their shaft that had a wood ferrule. Less dense than most of the other ferrule materials.

McDermott Intimidator series (I-1, I-2, I-3) had a hole in the shaft that was then filled with a carbon fiber tube.

To my knowledge, none of the mass produced shafts ever had the hollow region like predator. (Without filling it with something else). Their patent expired in about 2011. Even after the patent expired I don’t know if any did similar.

I think several custom makers were drilling out the front of the shafts, but keeping it on the down-low to avoid any legal action from predator.

Now everyone has carbon fiber, which is inherently hollow.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Give me old maple, sugar marked, non kiln dried shafts that custom cue builders recommend! Send offers, lol.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
its all about aging the wood the doles should be aged in a consistent atmosphere for some time to make sure humidity has expired. solid wood or lamenated it makes no difference. an art itself knowing when to turn down a shaft.
Can't help but notice your account name.
Do you play?? In a band or orchestra?? Jazz??
Bones are the Bad Boyz of brass!! 👍🏻

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old thread, so it might bear repeating. Laminated Predators are LD because they're hollow at the tip (low end mass), not because they're laminated.

pj <- they have a patent on the hole
chgo
Good luck on the hole itself as long as drill bits are sold.
A company would have a better argument on what was done with the hole.
Predator developed it reputation because of the low deflection but also because of thier lamination theories on how the shaft was spliced together,
Radial consistently!
As far as the hole itself, Cue makers before Predator were experimenting.
When i did repairs for the Canadian Pro Tour. The Players talked about a Canadian maker named Harvey from the 60's or 70's who was hollowing out the front of the shaft. I never learned his full name.
But along the same time frame as Predator, Jerry Powers started offering radial spliced shafts. I really don't know who was first. Not sure ANYONE does.
Late 90's there was talk about c/f shafts and how they would impact the Industry.
They certainly have made thier mark.
There's room for EVERY shaft option,
Simply because not one shaft fits every player nor does every player have the same opinion.

Meucci contributed with his red and black dot shafts, both had a special ferrule design on how it's attached.
Red dot supposedly indicated the sweet spot and the black dot was/is 35 pieces of flat lamination.

OB--'
Special lamination and wood ferrule. Maybe the first to incorporate the foam inside because without it, you could drop a pencil thru the entire shaft.

ALL GREAT OPTIONS!
ALL, have major contributions to the Industry.
ALL HELPED to lay the foundation in learning for c/f options.
And ALL, still just options to satisfy the players needs and curiosities!!!!

Reactions: bbb

giddyup

Nothing personal, but I'd rather not. His cues are in high demand as is.
I don't want to be the guy that inadvertently made them even more expensive. Lol.
Let's just say, you'll know 'em when you see 'em!!😁
Doesn't this forum allow "private" messages? Thanks.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting but most P shafts from the mid 60s and 70s stayed fairly straight even to this day. I rarely encounter an older Palmer shaft that is very warped- Mostly just minor acceptable taper rolls from what I have seen.
There's a father and son company down here in Central Pennsylvania that restore old pool tables and also do mechanical work on bar tables. They had an old Brunswick Hoppe in their cue case that has seen better days (packing tape wrapped on the forearm to keep the points in) that the sold me for $50. I took it to the pool room just on a laugh and came away stunned at how straight it was and how solid the hit was, as firm as my Drexler if not more. I thought for sure it would have a ping or clink or click or clank. Nothing.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Predator filed a handful of patents on its LD shafts over the years with varying success. This is the patent that most directly applies to its hollow-bore design, requiring a shaft having a wall thickness of about 0.030 to 0.050in:

And a second patent requiring a ferrule with a "zip":

Predator voluntarily abandoned both of these patents (dedicating them to the public) in 2012 when it decided not to pay the government fee to keep them alive.

Here's a failed attempt from Predator to patent a similar design in 2006, which the Patent Office rejected in view of Predator's earlier patents.

Predator sued McDermott over some of these patents in 2006, alleging that McDermott's i-shaft cues infringed its patents. The case apparently settled a year later (before the court looked at anything) on unknown terms.

(and this is how i wasted my lunch hour).