Who are the 'Old Schoolers' of AZ

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

cool, little trick to see what number you are.
Hover over a username and look in the status bar below and you will see a url like this:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=27

the number at the end is where you are in comparison to others who have joined. According to this i am old as dirt as there are only 26 people on here that joined before me.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
resized_vengeance-dad-meme-generator-my-family-snubbed-me-once-once-d9dcfa.jpg

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That guy was one of Fast Larry's many, many incarnations.

Anywhos, I remember you, Dan, and many others from that great forum. It's funny, so many of the discussions here today are ones we hashed out 15 years ago.

Lou Figueroa

Yes, that was it -- Fast Larry. What a trip! Hopefully he is in a better place now because he had some serious issues.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Good to see some of our recently quiet folks posting here. Happy New Year !

Dave

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to school in about a dozen states growing up and many of them were old schools. I can say with great confidence I am the #1 old schooler on azb.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well, I don't feel like an AZ old-schooler....joined in '09.
...started reading in '06 'cause I could get current tourney info long before
I got the magazines.

But I played at Ames a month before it closed....McGirrs also.
Watched New York Blackie break even with Eddie Kelly getting the 8 at
the Billiard Den in LA.
...hung around Jimmy Moore's room in Albuquerque when I was a kid.
...played at the Palace and Cochran's in Frisco.
...played at the Rack in Detroit when it was still known as the Rack and Cue.
...gambled at the Sportsmen's in Orlando before the owner got busted
for selling guns to Cuban mercenaries.
..played at Sports Palace in New Orleans when Flyboy was high-rollin'.
..messed with Mexican Johnny at Bensingers...in the basement.

WHADDIYA MEAN I DON'T BELONG IN THIS THREAD? :angry:

...well, could I at least get a cup of coffee before I leave? :crying:

black, no sugar

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I was going to say...

Aye! Still here, but mostly lurking these days...

I saw you as the latest poster in this thread from the main forum and I thought "Damn, I haven't seen him post in forever".

Jaden

p.s. you joined TWO people after me... so we share our AZB anniversary together...lol

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Keep the Old Schoolers of AZ (again not Old School of pool) coming back to post in this thread. Nice to see many of you stopping by to say hello.

Banks

Banned
Well, I don't feel like an AZ old-schooler....joined in '09.
...started reading in '06 'cause I could get current tourney info long before
I got the magazines.

All ya'all seem like dinosaurs to me! I only started playing a year before joining here. I've gotten worse ever since and haven't hit a ball in two months. :(

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
When I hover over my screen name, it says 244. Koop is 27. :eek:

I wonder who is #1? Just guessin, Mike H.

JoeyA

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
When I hoover over my screen name, it says 244. Koop is 27. :eek:

I wonder who is #1? Just guessin, Mike H.

JoeyA

Yes - Mike H (AZHOUSEPRO) is #1. I went back to the first threads on this site -- lots of names that have very limited posts.

Be cool if Mike cool post a file that showed the user name, membership # and the last time they posted.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I don't feel like an AZ old-schooler....joined in '09.<--Same yr. I joined--Prior to that, I didn't even know how to turn on a computer ! :eek:

But I played at Ames a month before it closed....McGirrs also.
Watched New York Blackie break even with Eddie Kelly getting the 8 at
the Billiard Den in LA.
...hung around Jimmy Moore's room in Albuquerque when I was a kid.
...played at the Palace and Cochran's in Frisco.
...played at the Rack in Detroit when it was still known as the Rack and Cue.
...gambled at the Sportsmen's in Orlando before the owner got busted
for selling guns to Cuban mercenaries.
..played at Sports Palace in New Orleans when Flyboy was high-rollin'.
..messed with Mexican Johnny at Bensingers...in the basement.

WHADDIYA MEAN I DON'T BELONG IN THIS THREAD? :angry:

Mr. PT109...I feel a certain kinship to you.. Except for a few details..Minus the far Northeast (NYC etc) I frequented all the places you mention, many times. Also you must enjoy a considerable age gap on me. (dammit) ..The 'Rack' in Detroit, did not even exist in my heyday, all the action was at the 'Rathole' on Woodward Ave, near downtown... Cornbread and Whitey, were there, and both were also younger than me. (dammit).....Never made it to the Rack, during the few years it was going crazy.(double dammit) Excuse me, just checked, Red was 2 or 3 yrs. older than me, and I believe Whitey was a few yrs. younger.

Flyboy was still a young dude, in the Air Force, (in Portland, Or) when I first met him, and the Palace in NOLA, was but a gleam in Heisler's eyes. I first met Ed Kelly, in N.O., when he was a 19 year old kid, (I was 26 or so) and we became life-long friends ! We still maintain contact.

I always had a job, or a business, and took a few long hiatus' from the hustling racket.. But, I did remain active in gambling at pool, for most of my life.. However, except for a 10 year stint, in Texas, Louisiana, Okla. etc., most of my active years, were spent west of the Mississippi...Ronnie Allen, Richie Florence and I, fired at each other, for over 50 yrs...They were also considerably younger..(dammit)... Never thought I'd outlive them both..:rolleyes:

In short, I enjoyed your post very much, and thanks a lot for giving me a good excuse to reminisce !...:p
(I'll take a shot of Yukon Jack please, no ice !) :D

Happy New Year

SJD

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'm Old

And went to the school of hard knocks....does that hold salt LMAO. :thumbup:

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
I joined in July 06....I was computer illiterate at the time....and still struggle...I think my wife or youngest son showed me which buttons to click. I don't post very much for various reasons, one of them being lead.....an anti-knock additive formerly used in gasoline.

Rockin' Robin....now just 93 octane.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I joined in July 06....I was computer illiterate at the time....and still struggle...I think my wife or youngest son showed me which buttons to click. I don't post very much for various reasons, one of them being lead.....an anti-knock additive formerly used in gasoline.

Rockin' Robin....now just 93 octane.

Seems you aren't the only one. Petroleum industry hid it just like big tobacco hid both the addictive thing as well as the cancer link. Sorry to hear of your ills.

Lyn