Who became the best the fastest?

Williebetmore said:
Jeanette Lee began playing at age 18; turned pro in 2 years; number one in the world in less than 4 years. That's pretty strong.

Dick Lane began playing pool in his late teens; was very competitive by his college days (see Danny DiLiberto's account of their matchup in "The Road Player").

I began playing about 5 years ago; seriously about 3 years ago, and can now occasionally run 3 balls......is that good?????

Yes, that is really, really, really good, Williebetmore?
How much would you like to play for? :eek:
JoeyA
 
Why the attack on me, Blackjack?

Guys,

I shouldn't have taken the potshot at the BCA instructors - everybody is entitled to earn an easy living giving the suckers what they want.

As for the pro's, it's an absolute joke to believe that what the pro's have with their hand/eye coordination is taught by Scott or Randy G - both guys are knowledgeable in pool (so I don't want anyone to think The Woim is hurling insults at anyone).

What the pro's have can't be taught - so just enjoy the game for the frivolous parlor room board game that it is! ;)

Try this experiment all you B and C and D players. Get a calendar and alot 6 hours of skill drills on Monday thru Friday and alot 2 hours of fun play on Saturday and 1 hour of fun play on Sunday. Do this for six months.

Record all of your progress. As an example, assume one of your drills is the L-shaped 15 ball position drill. One attempt is shooting until you miss. Try 20 attempts every day. During week one of training it's okay to avg. 2.5 balls per attempt. But by week 2, month 4 you should be averaging at least 9 balls per attempt. Keep track of your progress in a notebook with the date and hours you practiced each drill.

Do this every day. Have some balls and some discipline. Ask me or ask Blackjack which drills are good for 9 ball. Practice them.

No excuses either. Don't say "I can't" because that's just another excuse for losing.

Now, if you look at this task and say "Mr. Woim, I'm a recreational player and I get all the enjoyment I want out of pool playing at my current level." Then you will have The Woim's respect because you respect yourself and you respect the game.

If you say anything else, why, you're probably just a wannabe punk.

;)

Think of it as that line from "The Karate Kid" where Mr. Mugabi says "Karate yes okay, Karate no okay. Karate maybe crunch!" Well, playing pool at the highest levels is the same thing.

:o

The Woim doesn't come here to hurl insults at anybody!

Yours Truly,
The Woim
 
arsenius said:
... I'm not asking about who was a champion at a young age, but who became one in a very short amount of time. ... Who was the fastest and what is a typical amount of time to become world class speed?
But without knowing when each person started to play, it's hard to say who learned the fastest. Joe Bachelor was proud of running 100 in the first six months he played. Maybe it's true. Given that problem, I think "youngest champion" is a reasonable place to start.

Snooker player Judd Trump made a 147 when he was 14. It took the whole snooker playing world about 50 years to produce the first 147.
 
It sure didn't take Allen Hopkins long to become a world beater. At 15, he was already gambling with world class players.
 
"Did he go by Tito??"

> Sure as hell did. He had crazy talent,but man was he ignorant at times. Tommy D.
 
The Woim said:
Guys,

I shouldn't have taken the potshot at the BCA instructors - everybody is entitled to earn an easy living giving the suckers what they want.

As for the pro's, it's an absolute joke to believe that what the pro's have with their hand/eye coordination is taught by Scott or Randy G - both guys are knowledgeable in pool (so I don't want anyone to think The Woim is hurling insults at anyone).

What the pro's have can't be taught - so just enjoy the game for the frivolous parlor room board game that it is! ;)

Try this experiment all you B and C and D players. Get a calendar and alot 6 hours of skill drills on Monday thru Friday and alot 2 hours of fun play on Saturday and 1 hour of fun play on Sunday. Do this for six months.

Record all of your progress. As an example, assume one of your drills is the L-shaped 15 ball position drill. One attempt is shooting until you miss. Try 20 attempts every day. During week one of training it's okay to avg. 2.5 balls per attempt. But by week 2, month 4 you should be averaging at least 9 balls per attempt. Keep track of your progress in a notebook with the date and hours you practiced each drill.

Do this every day. Have some balls and some discipline. Ask me or ask Blackjack which drills are good for 9 ball. Practice them.

No excuses either. Don't say "I can't" because that's just another excuse for losing.

Now, if you look at this task and say "Mr. Woim, I'm a recreational player and I get all the enjoyment I want out of pool playing at my current level." Then you will have The Woim's respect because you respect yourself and you respect the game.

If you say anything else, why, you're probably just a wannabe punk.

;)

Think of it as that line from "The Karate Kid" where Mr. Mugabi says "Karate yes okay, Karate no okay. Karate maybe crunch!" Well, playing pool at the highest levels is the same thing.

:o

The Woim doesn't come here to hurl insults at anybody!

Yours Truly,
The Woim

I'm not attacking you Larry. I'm just pointing out that when you insult BCA Instructors (and you did) and when you insult pro players (and you did) and when you insult everybody on the forum (and you did) usually as history goes, Mike has enough of your crazy crap and tosses you. You've been behaving yourself lately, and if you keep it up, who knows, maybe you'll be allowed to stay. For some reason you sneak in here and then decide to see how much you can push people's buttons. Its like you want them to ban you. It makes no sense, but then again, nothing you've ever said or done in any forum has made much sense anyway. FWIW, I think you have a lot of good knowledge to share. Put the nuttiness on the shelf for once and show people that side of you instead of "The Woim".

Oh... and its Mr. Miyagi... get it right, bozo.
 
I think Johnny Archer didn't start playing until he was in his early teens and when he was 18 over 3/4 of a pro tournament field would not gamble with him even in 9 ball. Within another few years almost the whole pro field wanted weight to play him. So he made it into the top 1/4 of pros in just a few years. World champion in a few more. So he is right up there with the rest of the fast learners.
 
thebigdog said:
I think Kim started playing at an earlier age than 18. My dad and Kim are pretty good friends, my dad was from Stockton and Kim from Modesto. They both were up and coming players as teenagers, my dad being 1 or 2 years older than Kim. Kim came to do a couple of exhibitions at my fathers pool room later on. I thought I remember Kim telling me he started playing when he was 13.
The guy I always heard became a champion in the quickest time was Mark Tadd. As the story goes he had only been playing 5 years when he was a world beater.

i will ask him, i started playing when I was 13 or 14 but just banging, I started playing with intentions of being good at 18, I think it was the same for Kim, he never told me Dave Ferroni and Barry Benttoncourt told me along time ago. I speak to Kim once in a while I have never asked him, i will this week. We usually talk about business etc never pool.
 
If Fast Larry thinks lessons are a waste of time, and explains how players could be better off practicing alone, then why does he offer lessons on his website for hundreds of dollars per day?

Either he's full of shit and knows there's some value in lessons... or he knows he's stealing from people.

Larry, do you call them suckers to their face while giving lessons, or do you wait until they're out the door while you're counting the money?
 
Where's the love?

:cool:

Normally I feel the love on AZ Billiards, but sometimes I can sense an edge of hostility. I also notice that there's some real examples of "mistaken identity" going on here. I've never even heard of "Fast Larry" and why should I? I'm The Woim!

Let's keep our discussions focused on specifics. Keep it on the issues and not personalities - that is ;) unless someone is a real jerk!

I'm going to be big and not take the bait.

I've made my points in my posts. Highlight one of my opinions and "make it better" if that's what is called for.

:cool:

Let's keep it cool, fellows!

The Woim
 
The Woim said:
:cool:

Normally I feel the love on AZ Billiards, but sometimes I can sense an edge of hostility. I also notice that there's some real examples of "mistaken identity" going on here. I've never even heard of "Fast Larry" and why should I? I'm The Woim!

Let's keep our discussions focused on specifics. Keep it on the issues and not personalities - that is ;) unless someone is a real jerk!

I'm going to be big and not take the bait.

I've made my points in my posts. Highlight one of my opinions and "make it better" if that's what is called for.

:cool:

Let's keep it cool, fellows!

The Woim

:rolleyes:

Okay, then I'll play along. In an earlier post you said that pro players were uneducated, mostly high school dropouts. What information are you basing this statement on? It doesn't apply to many of the people I know. It doesn't apply to me, I'm college educated - so are many pro players.

You go on to insult BCA Instructors. I'm not sure why, but you seem to do this a lot. I'm not BCA certified, but I have a lot of respect for those that are. It is a different teaching style and curriculum from what I teach, but is no less effective. Coming into a public forum and saying that they are just scamming people - I ask again - what information are you basing this statement on?

If it is your own personal opinion, then please feel free to share how that opinion was formed so we can understand why you are saying these things. We're not attacking you, we're just asking you to elaborate - which is usually where you start off on your tirades.
 
Blackjack said:
:rolleyes:

Okay, then I'll play along. In an earlier post you said that pro players were uneducated, mostly high school dropouts. What information are you basing this statement on? It doesn't apply to many of the people I know. It doesn't apply to me, I'm college educated - so are many pro players.

You go on to insult BCA Instructors. I'm not sure why, but you seem to do this a lot. I'm not BCA certified, but I have a lot of respect for those that are. It is a different teaching style and curriculum from what I teach, but is no less effective. Coming into a public forum and saying that they are just scamming people - I ask again - what information are you basing this statement on?

If it is your own personal opinion, then please feel free to share how that opinion was formed so we can understand why you are saying these things. We're not attacking you, we're just asking you to elaborate - which is usually where you start off on your tirades.

Nick Varner and Steve Mizerak were two college educated pros. Nick is, and Steve was (RIP) a great business man. I remember when Nick would come through Nashville, because he was quite capable of *selling* himself. All of the pool rooms would suddenly have Nick Varner model Falcon's or JOSS cues...LOL...because Nick would pull them from the trunk and sell 3 or 4 autographed models to the owners and they would sell them for double what they paid.

Ok...back to *fast learners*. Nick Varner wasn't the fastest learner. He didn't win his first *biggie* until I think he was close to 40 (first World event). I've heard other pros say he was the most UNnaturally talented pro, but had the greatest practice ethic, competitive drive, desire to win. That man is NEVER out of a match until it is over. So......getting good FAST isn't a necessity. Some people are slow starters, but when they show up - they show up...like Nick V!
 
Matt_24 said:
Nick Varner and Steve Mizerak were two college educated pros. Nick is, and Steve was (RIP) a great business man. I remember when Nick would come through Nashville, because he was quite capable of *selling* himself. All of the pool rooms would suddenly have Nick Varner model Falcon's or JOSS cues...LOL...because Nick would pull them from the trunk and sell 3 or 4 autographed models to the owners and they would sell them for double what they paid.

Ok...back to *fast learners*. Nick Varner wasn't the fastest learner. He didn't win his first *biggie* until I think he was close to 40 (first World event). I've heard other pros say he was the most UNnaturally talented pro, but had the greatest practice ethic, competitive drive, desire to win. That man is NEVER out of a match until it is over. So......getting good FAST isn't a necessity. Some people are slow starters, but when they show up - they show up...like Nick V!


Mike Lebron was winning pro tour events when he was close to 60!
 
Good point. Won the US OPen when he was in his 50's.

Won the Challenge of Champions around the same time.....(snort..choke...snicker.......). Well, I guess technically he won. No comments.

He retired from a 30 year factory career and played great pool!
 
Exceptions to the Rule!

:cool:

Every rule has it's exceptions. Nick Varner is one of my favorites. His example substantiates my earlier post regarding a systematic practice schedule. No shot on the pool table requires excellent eye sight so I usually snicker when people talk about their eyes being old.

Mike Lebron's a great pool player and I become viscerally angry when people say that his U.S. Open victory was a fluke. Nobody goes through a field of top pros to claim the trophy with luck.

Great exceptions, those two. We can always find the truck driver who was a lawyer and we can always find the unusual pro (male) player who has attended college. Attending college is one thing, being an active participant in an accomplished field after college is, as they say, taking it to a whole new level.

When I proclaim the (male) pro players as pool room bums, do not mistake that for an insult. To reach pro levels you still need to practice hours and hours a day and spend a large quantity of your day in a pool room. We shouldn't make comparisons either. We should accept pool and the pool players on their own terms and appreciate and celebrate them for what they are.

Blackjack is always tutoring the ladies of the WPBA and those girls are smart. I tell my own students that the men are better at pool but the ladies are better for pool. The ladies of the WPBA are an accomplished bunch and classy too. A few of them are "model pretty".

Let's also not automatically equate being "educated" with "sitting in a classroom taking notes and memorizing enough of it to pass a quiz".

As the great Steve Mizerak has said, "You can become educated by life."

For my nickel, I'm siding with The Miz!

Ok, the seven and the break! Is that good enough?

The Woim
 
arsenius said:
I was listening to the Buddy Hall interview on The Action Report today, and Buddy mentioned that he started playing when he was 15 and was a pro by the time he was 17. That is FAST!

So, it got me to thinking. What are some examples of other players who became good incredibly quickly? How long did it take Buddy to get from beginning player to world beater (assuming he wasn't already at 17).

What are examples of players going from non-serious player to winning a major tournament (US Open, WPC, etc...) in a short amount of time?

I know Archer won at age 22 or 23, but I don't know how long he had been playing. Corey Deuel would be another example of winning at a young age, but I know he was junior champion before that, so maybe he was playing for quite a long time. I'm not asking about who was a champion at a young age, but who became one in a very short amount of time. I don't know if Corey and Johnny are examples or not.

Who was the fastest and what is a typical amount of time to become world class speed?

Lou Butera told me once that his son Sal started taking it seriously when his dad could spot him the 5 ball. In one year's time Sal beat Earl Strickland at the US Open . This is back in 1990 when Earl was playing JAM up!
Now thats fast
 
Nobody can touch what Wu Chia Ching has accomplsihed, it's not even close

all these "back room" stories are pretty cute though
 
Back
Top