Who is Jack Hines?

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member

Jack could put in a dental retainer to restrict unwanted mouth action.

He could also shoot lefty without much game degradation.

Perhaps Jack will learn the manners of a gentleman. That would certainly
provide sufficient cover.

I have seen Jack play. Enough to bring down about $7k, late one night at
Glass City Billiards. I had the best seat. About 8' away.

Jack is a champion. A champion with flaws who nearly took pools golden
rings. I like him and his play.

Look past his flaws. All of them.

We all have much to learn from Jack. From his victories and from the
path of error that reduced him to what he is today. A regular champion.

discocincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nothing spectacular

I dont have anything special to say, other than back when Michail's in Fairfield, Ohio use to have good weekly tourney's Jack would show up from time to time, early 90's back then I can only say he was always nice to me. and not just cuz I was good to lose a lil bit of money to him. He would give me the last four and we would play cheap before the tourney. Again always nice and polite to me. It did get to a point where people would complain about how good he was that he should not be permitted to play. I liked the competition so i can say i never complained at about him. But eventually he quit coming down for it and like that he had to move on to other places and was never seen there again.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I dont have anything special to say, other than back when Michail's in Fairfield, Ohio use to have good weekly tourney's Jack would show up from time to time, early 90's back then I can only say he was always nice to me. and not just cuz I was good to lose a lil bit of money to him. He would give me the last four and we would play cheap before the tourney. Again always nice and polite to me. It did get to a point where people would complain about how good he was that he should not be permitted to play. I liked the competition so i can say i never complained at about him. But eventually he quit coming down for it and like that he had to move on to other places and was never seen there again.

It's a truly sad world where when a person becomes a great player they become almost shunned by the vast majority of their peers. In some respects, for this reason alone, I understand the surliness or disdain that we sometimes see in pro players for bangers like myself. I'm no great player but even in our free HANDICAPPED 9 ball tournament in a race to one, I have had a banger tell me that I shoot so good that I shouldn't be allowed to play. I just laugh and say I understand how they feel, but when I really look at the situation, I really don't understand it.

Like you, I never had any problem with Jack. He was honest with me about his failings as a human being. He also shared some of his secrets with me as well. Most of those secrets have become melled with other secrets and I probably couldn't determine if they came from Jack, books, videos or other people.

I don't know how many of us have had friends who have been addicted to drugs or if any of us have been addicted to drugs but it's a sad thing to witness, especially when in your heart, you know that the person could have had a far different life without the addiction.

Last edited:

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your last paragraph speaks volumes. one wrong decision in life can change the outcome for the rest of your life. seen it with drugs and alcohol. but for the grace of God, there go I.

ElKabong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the opportunity to see him play in a Viking tour in Huntingdon WV back in I think 96-97 He had a big lizard on his shoulder that paced figure 8's on the pool table while he watched.

HAH!, I was there and saw that too.
Didn't know who he was at the time, but remember the reptile.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't know shit from shine-ola!

Jack never wronged anyone unles he felt you were getting over on him, and I doubt seriously you knocked a jaw loose , because he would have planted a beer bottle up side your head way before you got that close, he can read your EYES just like the rest of us!

David Harcrow

Greatest post of the century!

Pnwguy23

After reading and being totally captivated by this thread I've begun to write an essay about Jack Hynes and his exploits, and I'd love it if some of you who knew him would be willing to exchange a few emails or phone calls about your stories of the guy. Even better, if any of you could put me in touch with him so I could interview him myself...but that's probably asking way too much (though I assure you, I am just a pool nerd writing a story with no shady intentions). I also have some more routine questions about the structure of the pro pool circuit in the late 80s/early 90s--any of you guys who have been around the competitive side of the game for that long, I could really use your help. Thank you!

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Well said.

It's a truly sad world where when a person becomes a great player they become almost shunned by the vast majority of their peers. In some respects, for this reason alone, I understand the surliness or disdain that we sometimes see in pro players for bangers like myself. I'm no great player but even in our free HANDICAPPED 9 ball tournament in a race to one, I have had a banger tell me that I shoot so good that I shouldn't be allowed to play. I just laugh and say I understand how they feel, but when I really look at the situation, I really don't understand it.

Like you, I never had any problem with Jack. He was honest with me about his failings as a human being. He also shared some of his secrets with me as well. Most of those secrets have become melled with other secrets and I probably couldn't determine if they came from Jack, books, videos or other people.

I don't know how many of us have had friends who have been addicted to drugs or if any of us have been addicted to drugs but it's a sad thing to witness, especially when in your heart, you know that the person could have had a far different life without the addiction.

Well said. Humans in general, find it far to easy to criticize others.

I've only seen JH on Youtube, but I must say I was impressed with his break. Beautiful follow-through and pose!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
DB Cooper or Jack Hines, who's your favorite American folk Hero?

Maybe I should join the "Lock" Society? Call me Don't give a "Rat's Ass Lock"

Neither...My dad is my favorite american folk hero. He and many others of the "greatest generation". Just average Joe types who held this country together during it's toughest times, worked hard, and raised their families the best they could. Hustlers, grifters, and thieves are a fun read, I suppose. But not heros to me...

JoeyA

Silver Member
After reading and being totally captivated by this thread I've begun to write an essay about Jack Hynes and his exploits, and I'd love it if some of you who knew him would be willing to exchange a few emails or phone calls about your stories of the guy. Even better, if any of you could put me in touch with him so I could interview him myself...but that's probably asking way too much (though I assure you, I am just a pool nerd writing a story with no shady intentions). I also have some more routine questions about the structure of the pro pool circuit in the late 80s/early 90s--any of you guys who have been around the competitive side of the game for that long, I could really use your help. Thank you!

Jack had a motorcycle, a REAL FAST one, I forget which one but he came into the poolroom one night on the bike and commenced to weaving in and out the pool tables. I have to laugh when I remember that scene, the bartenders trying to get him to leave quickly before the owner returned. Everyone cussing Jack because of the fumes from his bike. He left soon enough. It wasn't too long after that when I believe he was involved in a serious accident, if I'm not mistaken, with that same fast bike. He had a very hard time after that, living on the streets for months at a time. Anyway, like most people, Jack had different sides that each person saw.

Although I liked Saint Louie, Louie (Louie Roberts) as most people did, I would prefer to see a movie about Jack Hines. And no, he wasn't a hero to me either but I didn't see him as the antichrist either.

Jack was a special kind of guy and it just depended upon whether you saw Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. Both personas were entertaining to say the least.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I just watched the '88 Ohio Open finals with Jack and Earl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjeO7gm99BE&feature=relmfu
and expected to see some acting out, but Jack was a complete gentleman throughout. Jack was up 10-8 in the finals race to 11 and locked up Earl on the 7, great shot. Earl kicks 3 rails and makes the ball. I thought Jack would go nuts, but no. Earl wins the championship 11-10. Again, I expected to see some unsportsmanlike stuff as discussed here, but all I saw was some great pool and two great players. Sad story, that drugs won again.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Biker story

Jack had a motorcycle, a REAL FAST one, I forget which one but he came into the poolroom one night on the bike and commenced to weaving in and out the pool tables. I have to laugh when I remember that scene, the bartenders trying to get him to leave quickly before the owner returned. Everyone cussing Jack because of the fumes from his bike. He left soon enough. It wasn't too long after that when I believe he was involved in a serious accident, if I'm not mistaken, with that same fast bike. He had a very hard time after that, living on the streets for months at a time. Anyway, like most people, Jack had different sides that each person saw.

Although I liked Saint Louie, Louie (Louie Roberts) as most people did, I would prefer to see a movie about Jack Hines. And no, he wasn't a hero to me either but I didn't see him as the antichrist either.

Jack was a special kind of guy and it just depended upon whether you saw Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. Both personas were entertaining to say the least.

The bit about his bike gave me a flashback...
1969 - An old friend of mine used to sell bags of pot while riding around the University of Wisconsin campus, (once into the main bldg!).
He was a legend of sorts, too...

RayJay: Thanks for the info on the Hines/Strickland match...I'm going to watch it right now!

Pnwguy23

Thanks very much for the replies Joey, rayjay and Donnie. Yeah, I've watched that '88 Hynes/Strickland match over and over--truly epic; if more people followed pool that match would be well known.

Would any of you, or anyone else who knew Jack, be willing to exchange a few emails so I might get some questions answered? What I'm really trying to do is write the guy's story--the path he took from the height of his powers to his drug issues to his recovery/whatever he's currently up to. I have no current plans for publication, but I'd be happy to share what I've done with you if you were interested.

PM me if you'd like to help! :)

JoeyA

Silver Member
The bit about his bike gave me a flashback...
1969 - An old friend of mine used to sell bags of pot while riding around the University of Wisconsin campus, (once into the main bldg!).
He was a legend of sorts, too...

RayJay: Thanks for the info on the Hines/Strickland match...I'm going to watch it right now!

So that's how WOW got started...............:shocked:

Guapo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for bumping this! It's one of the most entertaining threads I've read in a while.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is Jack still around?

Is Jack still around? He was running around all over the place when I was on the road. I used to bump into him many "unusual" places. :wink: