Who is the Next Pro to Repeat a US Open Win?

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been a long time since we have seen any repeat US Open winners. Earl has won a record five times. Nick Varner is the only player to have won it two consecutive years in a row. Efren has been to the finals five (or is it four?) times, and has won the event once.

Who do you think is going to be the next player that will win the title, with at least one title already under his belt?

Johnny? Efren? Earl? Corey? Souquet?
 
This is one of the best questions asked on the forum in a while..i really had to think about this one...If i would bet money on it i would have to say .....um....Gabe Owen is my pick to win again...he been in the big dance more than once..so i think he will do it.
 
I would have to say Johnny Archer. Although any of the guys that has been mentioned could easily do it. Johnny seems to be in gear for another big win.

Gary
 
Of the American contingency I would say Corey or JA and I would lean toward CD. If I had to pick one from the international field it would be Alex. He is an incredible talent and if he is focused he is a top 5 favorite in any event he enters.

With that said, I will be pulling for a first time winner this year. I would love to see SVB nail down the US Open. I think he is a great representative of a professional pool player and I wish him all the best.
 
Any of them could repeat. At their level whoever is breaking well, whoever is more focused, and whoever gets the good rolls at the right time will win it. Johnnyt
 
cuetechasaurus said:
It's been a long time since we have seen any repeat US Open winners. Earl has won a record five times. Nick Varner is the only player to have won it two consecutive years in a row. Efren has been to the finals five (or is it four?) times, and has won the event once.

Who do you think is going to be the next player that will win the title, with at least one title already under his belt?

Johnny? Efren? Earl? Corey? Souquet?

I would not discard John Schmidt. He could do it again but then there is a great group of new players out there that could easily surprise the past winners. Among them Orcollo, Manalo, Shane Van Boening, Alcano.

We would also have to look at who's hot in the preceeding months of the Open. (August, September).

JMHO....
 
If Corey Deuel would really dedicate himself, he would be my pick. Such a creative player with a great pool mind. Plus, he's has hit some of the most amazing shots I've ever seen.

Alex seems on the upswing again. Good for him.

My pick would be Deuel.
 
PoolBum said:
Alex, Corey and Ralf are all good picks. I would pick them in that order.

You're leaving JA out? Et tu PoolBum? I think it all depends on what effect the expected baby has on Johnny's focus and table time. If Johnny experiences any semblance of the fabled "Mosconi effect" (Willie reportedly making an incredible five-rail kick to win the World Championship after getting news of the birth of his son), the world is in trouble!
 
What about Rodney? I think he has just about as good a chance as anyone. If I had to bet though, I would probably take Ralf.
 
cuetechasaurus said:
It's been a long time since we have seen any repeat US Open winners. Earl has won a record five times. Nick Varner is the only player to have won it two consecutive years in a row. Efren has been to the finals five (or is it four?) times, and has won the event once.

Who do you think is going to be the next player that will win the title, with at least one title already under his belt?

Johnny? Efren? Earl? Corey? Souquet?

Alex P.........
 
The next time Corey really has the rack figured out, I think he can take it down. When he figures out, on a certain table, exactly how to make that corner ball every time, he's exceptionally good at repeating a certain break exactly every time, and getting the same very runnable table every time he breaks. Combine that with his ability to come with a creative and amazing offensive shot when the situation calls for one, and he's very hard to beat. If he's got the rack figured out and his soft break operating at full effectiveness, I'd never bet on anyone against him.

-Andrew
 
Back
Top