Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Harold had more hair.

I’m actually very curious as well.

Very cool pic, captures a certain feel.

outrider1

Registered
Many say Worst was the best ever to hold a cue stick.
Interesting colorful piece on Harold Worst:

Ronnie Allen talks about Harold on many YouTube videos. Said he was phenomenal. Ronnie was too I hear!
I'm pretty sure it is Harold , although at second glance, from the side it looks a lot like Boston Shorty also. Lets go with deceased pool player
My thoughts 💯! Great minds? Lol in my case!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everyone who said Harold Worst was correct. I always liked to say "Worst was best!" Probably the best pool player I ever saw. He didn't make any mental errors and didn't miss any makeable shots. He was 100% focused on every shot! Harold was totally composed at all times, with very little emotion of any kind. No big celebrations when he won, just satisfaction that he got the job done. Not one complaint if his opponent got a lucky roll, or even if he lost a match. He would compliment his opponent no matter what. He was like a train that just kept on running down the track. As close to the perfect poolplayer that I ever saw.

There have only been a handful of players who I would say could play a speed above the world. Worst of course. And then there was Denny Searcy in his prime. No one was even close to him playing Payball on a snooker table and no one wanted to gamble with him heads up at 9-Ball or Ten Ball. Mizerak had his time alone atop the Straight Pool world, with everyone else fighting for second. First Ronnie Allen and then Efren Reyes had a stranglehold on the game of One Pocket. Then Earl came along to play 9-Ball at a level never seen before. I used to say that he made a 9' table look like a bar table. But probably the second best player I ever saw was Jose Parica. Just flawless rack after rack, no one had a chance gambling with him. No one around like that today. That's my short list of the most dominant players I've ever seen.

I left out Luther Lassiter in error. He did dominate pool in the 1960's when I first came on the scene. He won more events at JC and the Stardust then anyone else by far. He was also winning many of the big Straight Pool tournaments of that era. Lassiter was acknowledged as the best 9-Ball and 14.1 player for well over twenty years (mid 1940's to late 1960's). It was only after Mizerak came along in the late 60's that someone put a halt to that, at least in Straights.

Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Everyone who said Harold Worst was correct. I always liked to say "Worst was best!" Probably the best pool player I ever saw. He didn't make any mental errors and didn't miss any makeable shots. He was 100% focused on every shot! Harold was totally composed at all times, with very little emotion of any kind. No big celebrations when he won, just satisfaction that he got the job done. Not one complaint if his opponent got a lucky roll, or even if he lost a match. He would compliment his opponent no matter what. He was like a train that just kept on running down the track. As close to the perfect poolplayer that I ever saw.

There have only been a handful of players who I would say could play a speed above the world. Worst of course. And then there was Denny Searcy in his prime. No one was even close to him playing Payball on a snooker table and no one wanted to gamble with him heads up at 9-Ball or Ten Ball. Mizerak had his time alone atop the Straight Pool world, with everyone else fighting for second. First Ronnie Allen and then Efren Reyes had a stranglehold on the game of One Pocket. Then Earl came along to play 9-Ball at a level never seen before. I used to say that he made a 9' table look like a bar table. But probably the second best player I ever saw was Jose Parica. Just flawless rack after rack, no one had a chance gambling with him. No one around like that today. That's my short list of the most dominant players I've ever seen
I agree with everything you said. I would add that Nick Varner caught that special gear for a year or two, above the world. So did Sigel.

Will Prout