Who taught you the most important thing?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An older gentleman, named Charlie, once taught me how to play one pocket. We'd play for drinks, usually for coffee or a coke. He taught me how to look at the mental side of the game.

Darkridder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About five years ago my friend Dan got my hooked on pool.. I was 24. Dan had to teach me a lot about shooting, a very lot. My bridge was wobbly, I " poked a hornets nest ", and i had no stance. when he finally got me to get as low as i could on shots i would " ****ing stand up before the damn cue ball even hit anything ".

A lot of times when I miss a shots and walk away from the table and i wonder why i missed the shot.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Honor the one who taught you the most valuable thing in pool, or on a more important level something that also pertained to life in addition to pool. I'm curious if there is a six degree of separation factor here. How many of us know someone in common that directly influenced us.

My father is a pool player. There is too much to list that I learned from him.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Christy Dickerson, formerly a WPBA player, and I gambled cheap and I often asked her advice.

She told me that I would never be able to beat her....YIKES. She explained that I didn't play enough.

She was playing 8 hours a day, everyday.

I played an hour or so everyday, and maybe a little more on the weekends.

She said, You can't beat table time.

I never forgot her telling me that.

Her husband, Bob Dickerson, probably the best player ever from my hometown said this, and again I never forgot it. He was giving Christy some lessons or pointers.

There always several shots you can take, but there is only one correct one.

I have never forgot these bids of advice.

Ken

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I grew up in my fathers hall & he taught me that the most important thing is repeatability. To have the exact same routine when addressing the ball pre shot, no matter how easy or how difficult, always the same.

A few years back before all the sub-forums, we use to discuss and fight about aiming teqniques all the time. CTE was the big topic and Spiderwebbcom would go back and forth helping me with different pivot systems. Finally I met with him in Vegas and he demonstrated how he approached the shots and pivoted to center ball. Since I have a table at home I put in major time working on it. Now after all these years my PSR is ridiculously repeatable. My eyes and feet take the exact same route on every shot. I always approach from the same side of the cut angle. If anyone struggles with it I'm pretty sure Spidey still has the diagrams posted. The PSR will stick with you forever if you put much time in it. CJ taught me how to use deflection to my advantage and I'll always be thankful for it.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I think the person who had the most influence upon me in mastering the game of One Pocket, was my Grandfather, and I'll never forget (I get all choked up just thinking about this) the moment he died.
He was lying in bed with the family gathered around him. In a weak voice he called me over to his bedside and motioned for me to come closer. (I don't think I can finish this, it's so sad.). Anyway, I looked at him, he looked at me, and with his dying breath said, "Son, you ain't nothing but bad luck!" (Excuse me. I have to go some where and be alone.). :smile:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I have been told many gems over the years. I have this idea to print them out with credit, frame them, and put them on the wall in my pool room. In no particular order, and with names that likely only local folks will recognise :

Stephan L.
Daryl W.
Vance M.
Joey B.

I am sure there are others but my old memory .....

Dave

Banks

Banned
I was recruited on an apa team to start my playing. The captain was a good 5 or low 6. He told me many things, most of which i ignored and picked up at my own pace as i learned them naturally. What i do remember is..

He loved playing me for a dollar or two a rack.. until i started winning, then he wouldn't bet at all. That's how i see so many gamblers and better players act. Their sack shrivels and they nit up. That taught me the most about other players.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
My 1st Pool Instructor who become my friend, James C. Abel.

He told me to remember that Pool is only a game, and as such should rank accordingly in a responsible man's life.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
From my dad (who never played pool):

Learn as much as you can from others, but make your own decisions.

and it's closely related cousin:

Schooling is to learn How to Think. Never let them tell you What to Think.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dad was a great player.....just a few of the tips he told me when I was younger...

1) never get too "straight-in" on a shot
2) make sure to land on the "right side" of the next ball.

3) you're not very good.......

BrianaBrown13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Mother - Don't sweat the small stuff.
Jim Matney - Know your limits.
Dave Piona - Use all your knowledge, don't assume.
Louie Lemke - Do not let your opponent breath, it may come back to haunt you.

There's probably a bunch more, I've always listened well over the years. Sometimes the hardest part is applying what one knows.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Honor the one who taught you the most valuable thing in pool, or on a more important level something that also pertained to life in addition to pool. I'm curious if there is a six degree of separation factor here. How many of us know someone in common that directly influenced us.

There was a comment I read that stuck in my mind by Fred Agnir (Cornerman). He was discussing pro players and he mentioned his observation of pro players at the amount of effort they put into each shot. Soon after that, a comment by Corey Harper about how I rushed a cut shot once. Basically he said that anybody would miss that long cut given the amount of time I spent on it.

It's the "take dead aim" thing. I realized how sloppy I was in comparison to pros and made more of an effort to get everything right while down on the ball before pulling the trigger. It helped immensely.

HurdyGurdy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not earth shattering but a good tip in Pool. Everyone is always talking about and writing about aiming. I heard Alison Fisher say " aiming is easy you just hit the spot on the object ball that is farthest from the pocket " It just made everything crystal clear, and improved my shot making.

Dude. I love you. Thank you. I love Alison Fisher too. That is exactly what I needed to hear.