Who was/is best all around pool player, still alive today?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I've always been mesmerized by Efren's play in any pool game and I'm biased about one pocket as well.

Upon reading the WINS and TITLES that Nick Varner accumulated over his lifetime in various disciplines, I think I may have allowed my bias to run amuck.

The serious spanking that Nick gave to Efren in his own home town at 9 ball speaks volumes about Nick's rotational skills.

I watched Nick Varner at an advanced age a few years back in Denver, Colorado where he had the cue ball doing his bidding match after match. I never got the chance to watch him play in his prime but reading his wins and titles just blows my mind.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to witness Nick's game in his prime but his titles hold testament for his skills.

Has Efren ever won a world straight pool championship?
Just curious.

JoeyA

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I watched Nick Varner at an advanced age a few years back in Denver, Colorado where he had the cue ball doing his bidding match after match.

C'mon now, I have it on good authority that he was afraid to play ATM. :eek:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In 1991 Billiards Digest asked a bunch of players at a tournament about this. The games considered were 14.1, nine ball and one pocket.

BilliardsDigestMisc 001.jpg

accdealer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1991 Billiards Digest asked a bunch of players at a tournament about this. The games considered were 14.1, nine ball and one pocket.

View attachment 486409

i think that picture sums it all up. as the op said, efren was the best all around player to ever live, if not the best in each discipline.

those three take the cake for 2nd, 3rd and 4th. probably varner, hopkins and sigel in that order. varner and hopkins get top billing because of one pocket, as far as 9-ball and 14.1, it’s a photo.

although, it would be hard to argue not putting shane in one of those spots.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of seeing Sigel play in his prime a lot. He was the best I have seen. Nick Varner is right there as well. I remember Nick coming through Miami and putting on a show. He was another guy I could watch all day. 1 Sigel, 1A Varner

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Looks like people have forgotten about, Harold Worst! NO one wanted to play him for the CHEESE back in the days of Johnston City! Playing ANY game, including snooker or 3 cush!

If He'd lived longer, He'd be the BIG favorite!

ricardo

Registered
Efren will be my choice. Won 5 DCC All-around after the age of 45, a feat that may never be duplicated again. And as much as he dominated in many pool games for a long time, it's a shame that most people never got to see him play 15-ball rotation in his prime. Not Parica, Bustamante, Orcollo and other non-Filipino pool greats in their prime would have beaten Reyes in his prime in that game. He was the king of this game in the Philippines for over 3 decades.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Looks like people have forgotten about, Harold Worst. No one wanted to play him for the cheese back in the days of Johnston City! Playing any game, including snooker or 3 cush!

Could be, if all time. The original thread question was, still alive, which excludes Worst, hence the debate.

All the best,
WW

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a reminder of how Billiards Digest ranked some of these players in their 1999 "50 greatest players in pool and billiards for the 20th century."

50. Jersey Red
39. Allen Hopkins
38. Dallas West
37. Jim Rempe
30. Johnny Archer
29. Efren Reyes
27. Buddy Hall
25. Eddie Taylor
19. Harold Worst
18. Allison Fisher
17. Earl Strickland
16. Joe Balsis
15. Jean Balukas
14. Nick Varner
10. Jimmy Caras
9. Luther Lassiter
8. Irving Crane
7. Frank Taberski
6. Steve Mizerak
5. Mike Sigel
4. Alfredo De Oro
3. Ralph Greenleaf
2. Willie Mosconi
1. Willie Hoppe

I asked Varner one time about the top 50 list and him being voted as the 14th greatest player and his exact words were 14th really then all I can say is its obvious that list wasn't voted on by Professional pool players.

Miller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a reminder of how Billiards Digest ranked some of these players in their 1999 "50 greatest players in pool and billiards for the 20th century."

50. Jersey Red
39. Allen Hopkins
38. Dallas West
37. Jim Rempe
30. Johnny Archer
29. Efren Reyes
27. Buddy Hall
25. Eddie Taylor
19. Harold Worst
18. Allison Fisher
17. Earl Strickland
16. Joe Balsis
15. Jean Balukas
14. Nick Varner
10. Jimmy Caras
9. Luther Lassiter
8. Irving Crane
7. Frank Taberski
6. Steve Mizerak
5. Mike Sigel
4. Alfredo De Oro
3. Ralph Greenleaf
2. Willie Mosconi
1. Willie Hoppe

this list is total horseshit.....lol
:D:D:D

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
Americans were the one who called Reyes The Magician. when I hear top US players commenting live on Reyes matches, they don't even know what Reyes will do and you say there are better than him?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lists in the fourth estate are politically driven. Always have been! It's all about which player can make money for the BCA's industry members. That's my story, and I am sticking with it.