Who wouldn't call a foul on themselves?

Have you ever fouled and not admitted it to your opponent?

• Yes - If they aren't paying attention it's their fault

Votes: 26 13.9%
  • No - I have integrity

Votes: 133 71.1%
  • Maybe - I might've

Votes: 28 15.0%

• Total voters

sammspocket

Samm D. Vidal
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks, everyone. Yeah, that guy was a knucklehead.

I even left out the part where he yelled, "GET IN THERE!" when I accidentally knocked in an early 8 going for a breakout. That's what started the whole thing. He didn't like it when I told him I felt it was tacky to cheer for that stuff. That's a whole 'nother thread in and of its own.

Oh well, there's always one in every tournament.

Last edited:

GG11

Kill the Bunny
Silver Member
Oliver Ortmann is my hero for what he did at the Challenge of Champions ... not many would call a foul on themselves knowing full well that it's a $50K test of their integrity.

If only pool had more like him!

Samm, I like your respond to said D-bag!

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
depends on the circumstances

If I am gambling I will allways call the foul.

In a tournament I will not go out of my way to babysit some1 who is not paying attention.This doesn't mean that I will try to shield the foul or deny it if asked but if it is a close call im not going to try to explain to some1 who may not have any idea what im talking about.

Last week during league I played safe on a frozen ball.First I checkd to see if it was frozen,my oponent didn't check or ask me.Since it was frozen I decided to play the safe in a way that the CB would touch the rail after the OB.I did not however execute the shot properly and only hit the frozen OB but no rail for the CB.I did not pick up the CB,my oponent went ahead and kicked at his ball giving me ball in hand wich I used to win the game.After league was finished I let him know that the ball was frozen and that he should have checked or asked me.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I have always called a foul on myself even if the guy I'm playing doesn't say anything, and most of my games were for money. Funny how I can/could be honest in a pool game, but with other things years ago...not so much. Johnnyt

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was a team captain one particular season years ago...now just as an FYI, I've played in 3 of the major leagues in the U.S and will not say which one this particular team was affiliated.

So...I had a team mate knowlingly commit a double hit. The team mate knew it and the opponant was aware, but was a shy person and not inclined to stand up for themselves.

The oppontant looked at me, asked rather meekly "was it a good hit". I said no, it is ball in hand to you. Oh man my team mate was angry at me. I told the team mate that I could not and would not back an obvious attempt to play dirty.

To this day I would rather lose and lose with dignity and honesty that win in a souless manner.

By the way, the team mate quit the team...and really wasn't missed that much.

:) peace and thanks for sharing Samm.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
I always call my own fouls. I never let it be a question, nor do I like to be asked if I fouled. Therefore, I preempt it and call my own fouls. That's proper sportsmanship.

However, if I'm playing a scumbag who never calls his/her own fouls and always puts it on me to ask, I do two things after giving them the benefit of the doubt the first and second time they do it (honest mistake).

1. I no longer ask them if they fouled, I take ball in hand since it's my right to. This is asserting my position on the matter by action, rather than words, debate or argument. It also sends a message that I don't care what they have to say on the matter. This essentially secures my authority over the rulings in the game of which I have a right to.

I shouldn't be burdened with having to ask..which in a way sort of mutates into begging for BIH. Which then puts me in the inferior position - as if their say is what determines if it is a foul or not, not mine.

2. I no longer call fouls on myself. Just as they do, I put it on them to ask. If they just take BIH, that's fine as long as it really was a foul.

Basically, the Golden Rule.

I play pool for fun. Therefore, I loathe situations like these. Any kind of lack of total integrity or sportsmanship makes me not want to play that person again. I don't owe anyone a game. It's both of our privilege to play one another. That's how I see it. Either we will meet as gentlemen and play with the utmost in respect and sportsmanship, or I'm not interested.

Exsanguinating

The Bloodletter
Silver Member
I told the team mate that I could not and would not back an obvious attempt to play dirty.

To this day I would rather lose and lose with dignity and honesty that win in a souless manner.

and this is why I miss you :lovies:

DangerousDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should always call fouls on yourself, whether anyone sees or not. This is what's expected in snooker, where touching any ball is a foul and often difficult to detect for anyone other than the player at the table.

There's a video on YouTube somewhere of one the the World Championship finals between Stephen Hendry and Jimmy White. Jimmy misses the ball on, and the referee declares a "free ball". For anyone unfamiliar with the rule, this allows Hendry to play any ball on the table as the ball on (e.g. a colour in place of a red, counting 1 point), as he is unable to hit both edges of the red after Jimmy's miss.

This rule is in place so that the incoming player is not at a disadvantage after a foul, and it often leads to an easy opening shot.

Hendry comes to the table and doesn't think it is a free ball, so he asks the referee to check again. Playing for over £100,000, in the final of the biggest event in the game, he challenges a favourable decision made by the referee. The referee checks again and sees that it is actually not a free ball, reducing Hendry's options at the table.

Beyond calling fouls on yourself, if a call goes your way and it shouldn't have - speak up. Anything less is just dishonest.

twal

"W"
Silver Member
If a guy is being a jerk and I have no respect for them then, no I would not offer up ball in hand. It really is the duty of the player you are playing to watch the game. Now if it is an average player and the foul is pretty obvious to me, I would probably call it.
I would never lie about a hit that I thought was a foul when asked.
Here is a different scinerio. 8 Ball. My team mate is playing league last week. It came down to only a couple of balls left for each player. Toward the end a couple of safeties back and forth. My team mate goes for safe and doen't hit it hard enough and fails to draw a rail.
Disgusted with himself he turns away from the table and returns to his seat. His opponent comes to the table and shoots very quickly. He never looked or even came close to asking if it was a foul. So should my team mate feel bad? I say no.
It is my guess that this is not the first foul you have missed. No need to feel bad about it. I am sure I have missed a few myself. I do know however, if it is close I would ask. I don't think any player I have ever played has lied to me.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
closest to Bola Ocho

After reading three pages of messages I have to say that I am closest to Bola Ocho in how I play. I originally assume I am playing with a gentleman or lady and call all of my fouls. I'll even go so far as to call a foul if I'm legitimately not sure if it was a foul or not on some of them that are too close to call on my own shots. This is how I enjoy playing pool.

However as folks have often read in my posts, I meet everyone halfway or a little more. Don't call your fouls, I am not gonna call mine. Slug rack me? Wait until you hit one I racked when it counts sucker! Same thing with breaking up tied up balls with the left hand, pocketing balls with the left hand, moving pennies in the middle of a game during a match, on and on. When I gambled on a pool table to pay the bills I couldn't pick and choose who I gambled with and I played by whatever rules or lack of rules they played by.

Now the only time I play with blatant cheaters is when I draw one in a tournament or the first time I play them but there isn't one person in a hundred that has played pool for years and hasn't fouled and failed to call it. If someone commits an obvious foul and doesn't call it on themselves I'll do the same. If the opponent is the one supposed to call fouls that puts me in the referee's position and if I have to stand in front of a shot to see it clearly, tough. A ref would be there and that is where I am going to be. Don't call fouls on yourself and I'll stand wherever I please regardless of who is supposed to call it. I also simply take ball in hand when I deserve it, no debate, no questions asked. I give the other player the benefit of the doubt but when there is no doubt . . .

Much easier on everyone to play a gentleman's game and everyone call their own fouls. That is how I much prefer to play. Yesterday an opponent got down and was obviously fixing to shoot a ball out of sequence playing nine ball. I could have let him do it, I warned him. I play scrupulously honestly and even go the extra mile unless the other person pulls a move that it is impossible for them not to be aware of. When they deliberately cheat, there is more than one game going on! Even if I don't cheat I'll run them ragged making them think I am going to. :D :D :D

Hu

I always call my own fouls. I never let it be a question, nor do I like to be asked if I fouled. Therefore, I preempt it and call my own fouls. That's proper sportsmanship.

However, if I'm playing a scumbag who never calls his/her own fouls and always puts it on me to ask, I do two things after giving them the benefit of the doubt the first and second time they do it (honest mistake).

1. I no longer ask them if they fouled, I take ball in hand since it's my right to. This is asserting my position on the matter by action, rather than words, debate or argument. It also sends a message that I don't care what they have to say on the matter. This essentially secures my authority over the rulings in the game of which I have a right to.

I shouldn't be burdened with having to ask..which in a way sort of mutates into begging for BIH. Which then puts me in the inferior position - as if their say is what determines if it is a foul or not, not mine.

2. I no longer call fouls on myself. Just as they do, I put it on them to ask. If they just take BIH, that's fine as long as it really was a foul.

Basically, the Golden Rule.

I play pool for fun. Therefore, I loathe situations like these. Any kind of lack of total integrity or sportsmanship makes me not want to play that person again. I don't owe anyone a game. It's both of our privilege to play one another. That's how I see it. Either we will meet as gentlemen and play with the utmost in respect and sportsmanship, or I'm not interested.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
This weekend I had an opponent admit the following to me after our match, "You missed a foul that cost you the match." It was as though he was bragging about it.

"Excuse me?" I responded.

"Yeah, I fouled and you didn't even call it,"
he says.

"Obviously I didn't see it and assumed you were honest. And you're proud of this?" I asked.

"I stood up and walked around the table. I gave you a chance to say something," he boasted.

Wow... Seriously? Am I supposed to assume that getting up and walking around the table means that it's ball in hand for me? He was facing me and must've double-hit the cue ball. If it hardly moves, how can I see that?

I can honestly say that I have never knowingly fouled and not called it on myself. My conscience would never let me get away with it.

The same people who do this, would steal you cue, your wallet or purse, and think nothing of doing so. They have no conscience that tells them when they are right or wrong, they may have born with this disorder or they may have learned this behavior either way they can't be trusted. Some may disagree with my comments because they think that I am taking things to far, and thats OK to each their own.

Take care.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
The same people who do this, would steal you cue, your wallet or purse, and think nothing of doing so. They have no conscience that tells them when they are right or wrong, they may have born with this disorder or they may have learned this behavior either way they can't be trusted. Some may disagree with my comments because they think that I am taking things to far, and thats OK to each their own.

Take care.

I agree with ya, man. I call fouls on myself if I make them. Regardless of who I'm shooting with or the situation. I don't care if he's the biggest cheater in the world, I won't be brought down to that.
MULLY

kyo1128

Risa Yoshiki is HOT also
Silver Member
More and more I get into this site and this sports, more I see the similarities with Golf.
Stick, Ball, Hole, integrity, honesty, respect, sand baggers and cheaters....
Why pool gets bad rep, I still don't get. Especially after reading this thread.

Last edited:

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Every single night I work, I hear people brag about their honesty and integrity. And almost every night I see them foul against someone they hate or are gambling with....and surprise....if the opponent is blocked, or in the bathroom or not paying attention...it ACCIDENTLY slips their mind. Every night I see it from good players and bad. Rich and poor. Doesnt matter. Its all about the "win" or the "money" to so many players. Enough players do this to make the sports seedy reputation stick like glue.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every single night I work, I hear people brag about their honesty and integrity. And almost every night I see them foul against someone they hate or are gambling with....and surprise....if the opponent is blocked, or in the bathroom or not paying attention...it ACCIDENTLY slips their mind. Every night I see it from good players and bad. Rich and poor. Doesnt matter. Its all about the "win" or the "money" to so many players. Enough players do this to make the sports seedy reputation stick like glue.

Unfortunately what you say is true too often.

SlimShafty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always call fouls on myself, and most of the time I will even tell them, if say they are aiming at the wrong ball as long as I notice it fast enough.

If your in a tournament and just watching two others play you really can't say anything, but you know they know they fouled, sometimes they will look at you with that guilty look...like, did you see that.

Would any of you say anything if you were in a tournament and while watching two others play you clearly see a foul?

Oh sure now! EVERYBODY calls their fouls and hugs puppies! Yeah? Well what about when you're bugging playing with the money from your kid's piggybank, guts on fire from the mezcal, and crank making you feel fidgetier than a ferret, and you need that $20 soooo bad just so you can keep on partying with Rosita the TV hooker from the West Side?...I mean I'm just saying!.:D:D

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I call 'em on myself, but when I was first learning I sometimes didn't. Maybe it came from playing on barboxes with buddies who routinely slam the cue ball right away after tapping it with a practice stroke. Or maybe it's just the nature of kids to try to get away with stuff. These days I just don't do that kind of foul... no pushes (shoot away from the ball), no warmup stroke taps (just learn not to do this from experience). And I call close hits as I see 'em. It's easier to just play in a way that avoids subtle or debatable fouls.