Worst Instructional Video

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thread on the worst pool movie got me thinking about the worst instructional video for pool I've ever seen.

Honestly, it's hard to pick just one of Dr. Dave's videos as the worst.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

April Fool's!!

But seriously, this has to be the worst ones I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ26KuVWuA8

The slow motion replays are unreal.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thread on the worst pool movie got me thinking about the worst instructional video for pool I've ever seen.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

April Fool's!!

Kinda hokey. He tries to cover waaaaaaay to much ground in a short span. I've heard of this guy but had never seen him til this. Looks like he didn't miss too many buffets. ;)

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda hokey. He tries to cover waaaaaaay to much ground in a short span. I've heard of this guy but had never seen him til this. Looks like he didn't miss too many buffets. ;)

It's definitely not organized very well.

Here, let me show you how to get shape on the 8 ball by drawing the ball.

5 minutes later...

Here's how to draw your rock.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hahahahaha oh that's great.

the first comment though..

every "aiming system" i can think of works great when you have the object ball half a diamond from the pocket...

Did you see this one:
"This is not an aiming system. This is how to apply back hand English.
If you look at a normal bar cue and use the points on the back end of the cue to centre the balls and then shift the point right or left to the centre of the ball it applies backhand English. Most people don’t know how to use a cue for sighting in the shot. Those points on the cue are not decorative. Trust me."

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The worst instructional video would be the one done by Harold Worst. It might also be the best instructional video.

The best instructional video would be the soccer video done by George Best. If might also be the worst instructional video.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

-
-
-
-

I never knew Jack White as an exhibition player. I only knew him as a hustler looking for pigeons. He picked on me once and I got him for 30 or 40 bucks. He was so enamored of my game that he took me to Long Beach college (where he may have done an exhibition a few days earlier). He couldn't gamble with the college kids but he passed me off as a student who was his nephew. There was one kid in particular that he wanted me to play. I think this kid pissed him off during his exhibition. So he lines me up to play him some 9-Ball for like ten a game. The kid could shoot a little but I beat him for maybe fifty bucks and that was it. I could tell Jack was delighted and he gave me half the money and took me back to Hollywood. I don't think I ever saw him again. Later on I found out he did exhibitions at military bases all over the country. I think Scott Lee got his route when he retired. JH
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

April Fool's!!

See my response above.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The last thread on this topic, I think we all agreed that some of the expert village ones were the worst, like these ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tom8S9m8VNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvE8Fvr0YQ

There are plenty of bad ones. But you know, I've changed my mind over the years. I used to get pretty angry about some of these videos, but they are amateurs trying to do their best. Maybe the guy in this video is pretty good in his small town or tavern and trying to help people as best as he knows how. It doesn't take a whole lot to be the best in a small pub or town, and it may lead people to think they're actually good. I'd love to show him how to draw the ball with little effort, or even make a reply video, but life is too short.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Wow. The production on that is pretty bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I9LCeEFAY0&t=2301s
The white background is actually extremely unpleasant to look at. It's a little surprising to me how bad it makes the video, but it's good to know for future reference. Any background would be better than all white, I think a darkned room can make a pretty cool effect sometimes, but better to just keep the background as it was in real life, IMO. Also, what blithering idiot decided that the instructor should wear a white shirt...Sometimes I don't know what people are thinking.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I never knew Jack White as an exhibition player. I only knew him as a hustler looking for pigeons. ...
In the mid to late 1960s he gave an exhibition at Cal every year. In maybe 1966 he showed up with a 20-something helper who was supposed to be some kind of collegiate champ, but no gambling occurred that I heard about. They mentioned that Jack had just played in one of Whalen's tournaments in LA. The kid said that Jack had the high run for the day.

I also saw him about 1970 at Keesler AFB in Biloxi.

He gave a good exhibition. He had a lot of interaction with the audience in the setups and explanations and some of the shooting. Some PG content. I don't recall any really hard shots, but there's no point in bringing that stuff out and risking misses when you have more than enough easy stuff to do an hour.

White also wrote a book with a co-author.

The video is Oscar-quality compared to the Annigoni effort.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... but they are amateurs trying to do their best. Maybe the guy in this video is pretty good in his small town or tavern and trying to help people as best as he knows how. ...
Well, yes, but these days someone claiming to be an "expert" -- that's what he's calling himself -- might look at some other free instructional material to get some ideas about how to present stuff. Like get rid of the blue chalk ring around his ferrule. Clearly from the Borer Tribe.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hahahahaha oh that's great.

the first comment though..

every "aiming system" i can think of works great when you have the object ball half a diamond from the pocket...
The first comment being:

Buddy Hipsher
3 years ago
I'm not trying to be mean but it seriously makes no sense man.

2500 subscribers.