Worst table install ever?

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy crap I can hardly believe what has happened. Just yesterday I had a local "respectable" pool table company move and re-set up an old gandy I have to my new house. I was immediately impressed with their apparent knowledge of setups as they were pointing out some of the flaws of the original install. Awesome I thought, I'll get a pro install yay!. Holy sh!tballs was I wrong. I just spend a few minutes trying to write down what happened so I'll just lay them out here:

They arrived with the wrong size cloth so they opted to glue. i had no idea how bad an idea that would be. When I made the appointment I clearly told them it was an oversized 8. I guess that was my mistake and should have just said 9 FOOT TABLE. Then they didn't even have a full can of the 77 stuff to even complete the job, but they did anyways. Great. Also the cloth was so small one side of the cloth wasn't even pulled over the side at all. just glued to the top.

This was such an incredibly awful slate leveling job i can't even put into words how bad it was. First my table was already missing 2 slate screws so I asked if they could replace them. They never did. On top of that they stripped a bunch of other slate screws (there were total of maybe 11 or 12 screws actually holding the slate down). A couple they did try to fix with a few pieces of wood scrap, others they did not. I mean really it's an old table, but they didn't really take any care in what they were doing.

Not once did they ever put a straight edge along either seam to check the plane of the surfaces. Not once. Thus all three pieces were on completely separate planes and not even close to being level with each other. They barley even tried to level them in any way. they just kinda sorta leveled them as they went along and never went back to make sure anything lined up as stuff moved. Here's funny bit... At one point when the one guy was ready to lay the cloth he noticed a slate screw wasn't even down. The other guy just went over to it and jammed it down with the impact drill neither having any concern what so ever how that would effect their "leveling" job. Unbelievable right?

One side ended up so low that with a straight edge along the center there was more than a 1/8 inch gap at the end of the table. Well I guess it would make a great ramp right?

Then I noticed they scratched the slate badly. Probably did it when they were dragging the slates across each other as they loaded them in or out of their van. They created 3 really deep scratches right on the playing surface that were not fixed or filled in any way.

I heard them say many times the feathering strip (which I provided because they didn't have anything suitable) was too tight for the rails and one had told the other to plane them down. later when I had come back to check on the progress all the feathering strips were installed. but guess what no wood shavings anywhere. they just pounded them in anyways. When I have to get the table fixed this will probably mean every strip will get destroyed.

Then to top it off, after finally covering the "table" (if it really could have been called that at this point) one guy with glue on his fingers puts it right on the cloth and creates a big glue spot. they tried to get it off but they just made a big bald spot. At that point they called their boss to tell them they f'ed up and told me they could either get $50 off the price (LOL) or wait for a call to schedule it be fixed.

After that they left and I began pondering all the s#it I had seen. And considering what had just happened I went to the table and ripped off the cloth and noticed everything I've listed here. I really couldn't believe it. I mean I was trying to give the guys space and was trusting they would do a good job so I didn't hassle them, but now I'm glad they f'ed up the cloth because I got to see exactly how bad it was. The table would have NEVER played well at all. Like ever.

Plus is it me or should the table be kinda sorta level after they lay the cloth? I know it may need a final tweak, but I rolled a ball from one end to the other and it would roll enough to go in the corner. I mean Really? I'm guessing that shouldn't be normal.

End rant. Those guys should be fired. Seriously

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pictures please. Also, did you call the boss to let him know what a horrible shitty "job" they did? I hate to even call it that...

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Let's not worry about how bad of a job someone did, lets find you someone who will setup your table properly.
Ask around for a well known installer in your area.
If all else you'll hire someone near you from the mechanics listing in - talk to a mechanic section.

Sorry you had a bad experience, there are good guys out there.
Which cloth are you using?

Rob.M

Last edited:

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
Where Do you live? I am sure one of these Az'ers can help you find a reputable person to do an Install. I have had this happen but, we eventually got it right! My suggestion would to be find THE BEST mechanic in your area and get the job done right..

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago I hired a person who done table recovering and about 30 minutes into the job, I told him to leave. Same thing, he wanted to glue the felt down as he said he forgot his staple gun. I doubt he even owned one. Luckily, I unfolded the cloth and of course, again, that was to small. I offered him $ 50.00 to just leave and he didn't want to accept that until I dialed 911 and asked for a sheriff to stop by as I told the operator that a person in my house was going to need protection. Since then, I found a table recovery person who may take 5 hours to do a table, but, he is such a perfectionist, that nothing gets undone. He is excellent and spot on. I pay him to actually drive round trip about 150 miles, but, I the job is done PERFECT and that's all I want.
That glue is going to be nasty to get up as the cloth is junk. So sorry to hear this and I sincerely hope the owner will be embarrassed enough to make it right for you.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That install would have won a Top 10 Pool Table Install Award in China! This installation won the grand prize last year!

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you pay them? If not, good for you. If so, shame on you and suck it up.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Holy crap I can hardly believe what has happened. Just yesterday I had a local "respectable" pool table company move and re-set up an old gandy I have to my new house. I was immediately impressed with their apparent knowledge of setups as they were pointing out some of the flaws of the original install. Awesome I thought, I'll get a pro install yay!. Holy sh!tballs was I wrong. I just spend a few minutes trying to write down what happened so I'll just lay them out here:

They arrived with the wrong size cloth so they opted to glue. i had no idea how bad an idea that would be. When I made the appointment I clearly told them it was an oversized 8. I guess that was my mistake and should have just said 9 FOOT TABLE. Then they didn't even have a full can of the 77 stuff to even complete the job, but they did anyways. Great. Also the cloth was so small one side of the cloth wasn't even pulled over the side at all. just glued to the top.

This was such an incredibly awful slate leveling job i can't even put into words how bad it was. First my table was already missing 2 slate screws so I asked if they could replace them. They never did. On top of that they stripped a bunch of other slate screws (there were total of maybe 11 or 12 screws actually holding the slate down). A couple they did try to fix with a few pieces of wood scrap, others they did not. I mean really it's an old table, but they didn't really take any care in what they were doing.

Not once did they ever put a straight edge along either seam to check the plane of the surfaces. Not once. Thus all three pieces were on completely separate planes and not even close to being level with each other. They barley even tried to level them in any way. they just kinda sorta leveled them as they went along and never went back to make sure anything lined up as stuff moved. Here's funny bit... At one point when the one guy was ready to lay the cloth he noticed a slate screw wasn't even down. The other guy just went over to it and jammed it down with the impact drill neither having any concern what so ever how that would effect their "leveling" job. Unbelievable right?

One side ended up so low that with a straight edge along the center there was more than a 1/8 inch gap at the end of the table. Well I guess it would make a great ramp right?

Then I noticed they scratched the slate badly. Probably did it when they were dragging the slates across each other as they loaded them in or out of their van. They created 3 really deep scratches right on the playing surface that were not fixed or filled in any way.

I heard them say many times the feathering strip (which I provided because they didn't have anything suitable) was too tight for the rails and one had told the other to plane them down. later when I had come back to check on the progress all the feathering strips were installed. but guess what no wood shavings anywhere. they just pounded them in anyways. When I have to get the table fixed this will probably mean every strip will get destroyed.

Then to top it off, after finally covering the "table" (if it really could have been called that at this point) one guy with glue on his fingers puts it right on the cloth and creates a big glue spot. they tried to get it off but they just made a big bald spot. At that point they called their boss to tell them they f'ed up and told me they could either get $50 off the price (LOL) or wait for a call to schedule it be fixed.

After that they left and I began pondering all the s#it I had seen. And considering what had just happened I went to the table and ripped off the cloth and noticed everything I've listed here. I really couldn't believe it. I mean I was trying to give the guys space and was trusting they would do a good job so I didn't hassle them, but now I'm glad they f'ed up the cloth because I got to see exactly how bad it was. The table would have NEVER played well at all. Like ever.

Plus is it me or should the table be kinda sorta level after they lay the cloth? I know it may need a final tweak, but I rolled a ball from one end to the other and it would roll enough to go in the corner. I mean Really? I'm guessing that shouldn't be normal.

End rant. Those guys should be fired. Seriously

Working on pool tables is not rocket science according to a lot of AZ members that feel working on pool tables is no big deal....and that there are hundreds of better table mechanics out here that do much better work than I do....so, did you hire these guys from NASA or what? You might want to throw out some names as to who did this work, so that others might learn....all pool table mechanics are not created equal:thumbup:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, some of us need proof that there are some things that should not be skimped on.

But to the thread starter- gluing the cloth is an accepted best practice amongst those in the know.

And to the cloth bein too small, there is significant stretching in a simonis install. I wonder if the cloth would have been an appropriate size, post stretch?

Either way...you gut told you to bail on that guy. Probably best in the Lon run to do so.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Billiard retail stores are usually not the best places to go to find good table mechanics. Maybe you should contact a couple of the best pool rooms in your area and ask them who services their tables. They would probably be much more helpful in steering you in the right direction.

Roger

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
My first pool table was a nice "furniture" table and the store owner hired his brother-in-law to do the install.
This table was around $1800 and it was new.

The second time he sent his best installer who completely disassembled the table, and 8-hours later it was still ****ed up.
I don't want to get into the details, but every other day a little wood shim would fall out from underneath the frame.
Eventually I quit trying to stick em back in, the table is in my garage, and I have a different table.

Banks

Banned
Working on pool tables is not rocket science according to a lot of AZ members that feel working on pool tables is no big deal....and that there are hundreds of better table mechanics out here that do much better work than I do....so, did you hire these guys from NASA or what? You might want to throw out some names as to who did this work, so that others might learn....all pool table mechanics are not created equal:thumbup:

You'd think it is rocket science with how much some try to charge.

flash5153

none
Silver Member
That is a messed up story. When you get it fixed you might look back at it and laugh.

It is not wise to just let anyone out of your sight when work is being done like this.

I bought a table from a friend of mine. He bought it brand new and had it installed while he was not home. 9 fter with 3 pc slate.
He had it for 3 years and sold it to me.

When I took it apart,,one pc of slate was broken,on the corner,and repaired!!

They did a very nice job,i will say. But for a brand new table it is not acceptable!! Nothing could be done at that point. But it still plays very well!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You'd think it is rocket science with how much some try to charge.

When customers pay out good money for shit work, how much should be paid to to someone that knows what they're doing....the same pay as that of a hack? There's a price tag for quality work done in all lines of work;)

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm kind of wondering why you didn't stop them before they were done. It probably would have been a good idea. Once you realize what a poor job someone is doing it's not really fair to them to have them continue working.

Also, after reading this it jumped out at me that it would probably be a good idea for all of us to have predetermined stoping points on these table jobs. I would want to verify that the table is properly leveled and ensure the seams have been done properly before they put down the cloth.

I know that doesn't help you any but it may help someone out in the future.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm kind of wondering why you didn't stop them before they were done. It probably would have been a good idea. Once you realize what a poor job someone is doing it's not really fair to them to have them continue working.

Also, after reading this it jumped out at me that it would probably be a good idea for all of us to have predetermined stoping points on these table jobs. I would want to verify that the table is properly leveled and ensure the seams have been done properly before they put down the cloth.

I know that doesn't help you any but it may help someone out in the future.

The first step in preventing this from repeating itself with someone else, is a name of who did this level of work;)