WWYD one pocket shot

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just tried it....never been in this situation before.
I see the shot as bank the 5-ball at your hole with high left english.
The left enables the 5-ball to bank wide enough to get to the hole...
...and the thin hit catches the 1-ball and banks to your side of the table.
The cue ball goes to the end rail and spins to the second rail to your opponent’s side.
I would have to see it on the table, but I'd try banking the back ball with left draw, draw the cue ball to the side rail off the upper ball and leave the cue ball on the head cushion. If the stars align, the balls align and I leave my opponent behind the front ball which has banked to my side. I don't like slow games.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't you play straight pool?

giphy.gif

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
picture.php

I have low right corner. Two balls are spotted same time and frozen. I could not figure any smart shot. I think this situtation probably arises a lot. So what would you do?

Clip off the 5 with right English. Leave the cueball on the bottom rail. It’s normally a safe place to leave people.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I just set it up from about the worst position possible...CB on the line from the corner to the side pocket, and hit it a bunch of times. I would play the shot differently from this angle, but I still like banking at the bottom ball. I just feel like it gives me a shot to win the game while improving my position even if I miss. :shrug:

https://youtu.be/lXJxWW4R-cw

Yes but now it isn't a "hanging a ball in your hole" freebie shot.

I'm banking that 1 and laying on your side rail if I miss. I love the big flyer shots like this and detest playing $5 racks because of it. I will look at a shot like this and say "well, this one will cost me $5" and try shooting it anyway.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I would have to see it on the table, but I'd try banking the back ball with left draw, draw the cue ball to the side rail off the upper ball and leave the cue ball on the head cushion. If the stars align, the balls align and I leave my opponent behind the front ball which has banked to my side. I don't like slow games.

Tomorrow I’ll try it with draw....never thought of it.
....banked the 5-ball two out of five tries....it was my buddy shooting it.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all interesting ideas. Rail cloth was really slippery. That means sidespin does not grab much. Thats why I trashed all my ideas about some banking with sidespin throw.
I hope some one pocket experts chime in.. :D

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Thin the 9

I like thinning the 9 and leaving it on the rail near the Side Pocket. The Cue
ball goes to the rail down table and as near to it as possible. This separates the two
balls not leaving him a shot. If the 5 doesn't move it puts a ball in the direct bank
path of the ball you just left on the rail and if you're good the cue ball will be very close
to the bottom rail.

If he thins the 9 at that point the cue ball goes back to the other end rail if not in the
corner pocket. He will most likely bank the 5 back up table leaving the cue ball near the
other bottom rail leaving you a bank at your hole that he has to dig out.

Keep him digging shots out. He'll make a mistake eventually.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if your pocket is where you are standing
i would come off the ball on the spot
banking it to my side
let the cue ball go to the head rail and back to the foot rail (either straight back or off the side rail on the way down )
might need alittle right english
now i have both balls in play and the front ball on my side as a threat
he cant shoot the 2 railer or one railer because of the threat of the other ball
he could but the other ball makes it a more pressure shot
jmho
icbw
azb wwyd.jpg

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.just sharing ideas and trying to learn something new. :thumbup:

Exactly. The question is WWYD not who's right or wrong. The fun of 1P is how creative a shooter can be. Playing the score. Being patient. Learning how to win. It's game in a game.
Good thread. Hopefully more situations are presented. It's interesting to see WWYD

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen Joey barnes bank that back ball into his own hole with draw
he often makes it and gets shape

I can't believe anyone would take a foul,but if i did it would be for an IQ test on the other guy
I would roll the cue ball as close to the middle diamond up table

somebody needs to ask Tom Wirth to post here

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clip off the 5 with right English. Leave the cueball on the bottom rail. It’s normally a safe place to leave people.

I think this shot is the "correct" shot in this situation, provided the player executing the shot will have a modicum of proficiency in freezing (or nearly freezing) the cue ball to the short rail.

To make freezing the ball easier, cut the bottom of the 5 with right English and work to develop skill using the long rail to help gauge the speed of the cue ball towards the short rail and to soften the angle so there is a greater margin for error. Even if you leave a bank here, if you can freeze the cue ball on the center diamond the angle are usually difficult and awkward.

kollegedave

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I think this shot is the "correct" shot in this situation, provided the player executing the shot will have a modicum of proficiency in freezing (or nearly freezing) the cue ball to the short rail.

To make freezing the ball easier, cut the bottom of the 5 with right English and work to develop skill using the long rail to help gauge the speed of the cue ball towards the short rail and to soften the angle so there is a greater margin for error. Even if you leave a bank here, if you can freeze the cue ball on the center diamond the angle are usually difficult and awkward.

kollegedave

Yea in my opinion you can’t be aggressive here. Not worth it. And now you’re putting the pressure on them to be aggressive. If they only need 1, you run the risk that they make an improbable bank but that’s fine.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ones who would take a deliberate foul....not a good move....
...you aren’t in a trap here....look for a better answer.

Yeah, while it is a cheeky and unexpected move...it is unexpected, coz it is a bad choice!