Cost of a shaft

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My shafts start at $150 for a sneaky or plain black collar with LBM ferrule and everest tip. Custom ringwork will add a few bucks. Most don't go over $200 unless there are inlays or ivory. As for what others are charging I don't concern myself with that. I charge what I think is fair for the time and materials.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My shafts start at $150 for a sneaky or plain black collar with LBM ferrule and everest tip. Custom ringwork will add a few bucks. Most don't go over $200 unless there are inlays or ivory. As for what others are charging I don't concern myself with that. I charge what I think is fair for the time and materials.

I totally agree. You add up your shop expenses such as rent, water, phone, gas & elec., insurance and of coarse taxes. Add what wages you would like to make, add it all up and divide by how many hours a month you work and then you know what must be the average hourly charge to pay for this. Some peoples are higher than others. It all depends on what you feel is a fair wage. Some may want to make a 1000.00 a week and only put in 10 hours. I would say their rate would be rather high.

Dick

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
So the cost of a shaft should be based on your need for the money?

Preface-I'm not a Q maker or builder.

WilleeCue ...first read qbilder response.Then.....
From an economic standpoint the answer for production makers is yes. For the custom cue maker I would think the answer is "SORT OF".
If you are subsisting on what you charge but can charge a few bucks more without it hurting your business then sure. If you are in need of more money and you can increase your business by advertising then you may need to charge a little more to get that extra exposure and business. It's all a balancing act with price, supply, demand and yes NEED, other things also. :)

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I don't have to prove myself to you.

I challenge you! You build a cue and I will build a cue. We will send them both together all over the world for pool player and cue builders to inspect and play with. Then we can do a poll and see which one shines. I am that confident.

So which is it? Either you have something to prove or you don't. No matter. You are right & I am wrong. It's just that I had aspirations of someday building a cue that other people could appreciate. I guess I should put in the time to research & develop something that stands out among the crowd & is desirable to players. I imagine what it would be like.

Imagine spending half of your days answering emails & phone calls from players all over the world, only to tell them that you cannot accept their orders due to you being solid booked indefinitely. Imagine doing that day after day, year after year. Imagine them telling you it doesn't matter how long it takes, just please keep their name on record so if & when you have time in the future, you might consider building them a cue. Imagine getting order requests from not only pro players, but hall of fame legends. I'm not talking about sponsor requests, but paying orders. Imagine what it would be like to come home from a two week family vacation to see 300 emails & your answering machine maxed out with folks wanting cues. Sounds ludicrous doesn't it? That would be the shizzle. How much confidence & sense of accomplishment would that give you knowing that you have cue orders for the rest of your life & as many as you can build? That would be awesome. I mean, isn't that the dream that drives aspiring cue builders? Big imagination I have, I know. What can I say? I'm a dreamer.

If you reach that point, i'll accept your challenge gladly. You'll be in my league & might have something i'm interested in learning. Until then, you got nothing for me to compete for.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
So which is it? Either you have something to prove or you don't. No matter. You are right & I am wrong. It's just that I had aspirations of someday building a cue that other people could appreciate. I guess I should put in the time to research & develop something that stands out among the crowd & is desirable to players. I imagine what it would be like.

Imagine spending half of your days answering emails & phone calls from players all over the world, only to tell them that you cannot accept their orders due to you being solid booked indefinitely. Imagine doing that day after day, year after year. Imagine them telling you it doesn't matter how long it takes, just please keep their name on record so if & when you have time in the future, you might consider building them a cue. Imagine getting order requests from not only pro players, but hall of fame legends. I'm not talking about sponsor requests, but paying orders. Imagine what it would be like to come home from a two week family vacation to see 300 emails & your answering machine maxed out with folks wanting cues. Sounds ludicrous doesn't it? That would be the shizzle. How much confidence & sense of accomplishment would that give you knowing that you have cue orders for the rest of your life & as many as you can build? That would be awesome. I mean, isn't that the dream that drives aspiring cue builders? Big imagination I have, I know. What can I say? I'm a dreamer.

Damn E, hit me up.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

If you reach that point, i'll accept your challenge gladly. You'll be in my league & might have something i'm interested in learning. Until then, you got nothing for me to compete for.

Three Words - TAP, TAP, TAP

-don

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I am done with the pissing contest. Think what you want. I really don't care. I don't have to prove myself to you. My customers and all that know me are aware of my work. You need references? I don't know who or what Eddie Wheat or Jeff Eason did but My name is John Barioni with barioni cues. And until you have hit with one of my cue you have no business putting me in their class. My work speaks for itself. I have no unsatisfied customers. And non of them feel like they got ripped off. If they did I would refund their money. I have been a business man for about 20 years now. Word of mouth is the best advertisement. (if you put out a quality product). You state that I am reverting to belittling other builders' work in order to promote mine. Where have I done this. When I first came on I did not wolf at anyone. It was the other way around. I am simply punching back. I feel it is easy to make a pretty cue. It's a little harder to make one that truly gives an advantage to pocketing balls. A lot of research is involved. Down here where I am from, the testing is done with real players. 100 speed and above. For them this crap your implying is a joke. It makes you look bad and sound like you don't know what your talking about. You may be known on AZ billiards but you are mot know here. I am! I am not a newb as some put it. I started repairing cues back in 1997. Then in 2003 my first cue was completed and sold. It must have been something for Kim Davenports friend and at one time stake horse Dave Ferroni to offer a grand for it. Ya $1000.00 for the first cue. Well guess what. The guy who owns it (Parish B.) did not sale it. He still has it today. This all went down at Ferron's Pool hall in Merced. A bunch of people heard it so if this was BS People would know. Needless to say Dave Bought a cue from Me. He still has it today. Dave is regarded to not only being a successful room owner but a player and a high stakes gambler. I know you don't know me like they do down here. It was just less than a year ago that I decided to expand. I have over 150,000 invested in tools and equipment. I have 5 lathes. One is a full blown Machinist lathe. I make and cut my own threads on this lathe. I started machining on street rods 26 years ago way before I ever thought about cues. I have had a MFG business since 1997. We make water racks that get sent all over as well as wine racks for the whole valley. We also manufacture pool table parts. So don't compare me with Mr. Wheat or Mr. Eason. And by the way, after all the crap you talked on this forum, If you think I am like them talking BS I challenge you! You build a cue and I will build a cue. We will send them both together all over the world for pool player and cue builders to inspect and play with. Then we can do a poll and see which one shines. I am that confident.

If you have a girlfriend that works for the FBI, I definitely having a deja vu.:shrug:

I'm just curious, do you consider this some of your finest work?
6bongp1qgx.jpg

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
If you have a girlfriend that works for the FBI, I definitely having a deja vu.:shrug:

6bongp1qgx.jpg

Dave, i just did the exact same thing and you beat me to it! 20 years of experience! Wheat might have drawn his on with a sharpie but alteast they lined up:grin:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Dave, i just did the exact same thing and you beat me to it! 20 years of experience! Wheat might have drawn his on with a sharpie but alteast they lined up:grin:

What's wrong with his signature ? :eek::smile:
:

Last edited:

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Ever think maybe I have a retailer. Well I do. Not a big one like Muellers but I have small shops and players that go to tournament and sale my cues. Second if I was to charge less for sailing direct as you say I should do then why would any one go to a retailer to buy my product. You would never get a big retailer would you. Every one would want to buy direct. And lets consider the cost of doing business. Bigger cities charge more for space,business license, spray booth permits and so forth. Go learn about business and running and owning them before posting ridicules comment like this.

if u could read properly u will notice that i said u shouldnt use their model of pricing as a means to justify ur own price. if u want to charge 275 for a shaft because that's what u feel it's worth then go ahead. but dont say u're charging that much for a shaft because thats how much predator charges for a shaft. u're not making a predator shaft so the two are irrelevant.

also, some people might not be able to buy direct for whatever reason, thats why they go to a retailer. ever consider that some cuemakers have dealers who distribute their cues (billiardwarehouse with lambros cues for example) but u can still put in a direct order with the cuemaker directly?

i will go spend some time to read up on business practices when u promise to spend some time learning proper grammar and spelling.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

When you've REALLY got something to show for, this is what it can look like.
Tap, tap, tap. The man HAS something to say, but everyone else is doing it for him...

...and Tommy, you're welcome, my friend.

Last edited:

RFisher

FISHER CUES
Silver Member

Hey Eric, Being an ex-boxer I have to ask. Which do you prefer When you punch do you take short jabs at the body or do you like to punch 1ft behind there head (follow through). Because I could feel the earth move on that one. OUCH.

Barioni Cues

Custom Cue Builder
Silver Member
if u could read properly u will notice that i said u shouldnt use their model of pricing as a means to justify ur own price. if u want to charge 275 for a shaft because that's what u feel it's worth then go ahead. but dont say u're charging that much for a shaft because thats how much predator charges for a shaft. u're not making a predator shaft so the two are irrelevant.

also, some people might not be able to buy direct for whatever reason, thats why they go to a retailer. ever consider that some cuemakers have dealers who distribute their cues (billiardwarehouse with lambros cues for example) but u can still put in a direct order with the cuemaker directly?

i will go spend some time to read up on business practices when u promise to spend some time learning proper grammar and spelling.

I consider myself a craftsman, not a Doctor. I spent most of my time in wood shop, metal shop, and auto shop. As you can tell English and Grammar was not my strong subjects. Good thing I am not a writer. How ever I did go to College and passed my PC832 which enabled me to serve two years with the Atwater Police Dept. Talk about a career change!!!

Barioni Cues

Custom Cue Builder
Silver Member
When you've REALLY got something to show for, this is what it can look like.
Tap, tap, tap. The man HAS something to say, but everyone else is doing it for him...

...and Tommy, you're welcome, my friend.

Ok, I may be lame, I have seen it three or four times now. What the hell is Tap, tap, tap? Is that supposed to represent someone clapping? Like good job or something? I never heard that term here in California!

Barioni Cues

Custom Cue Builder
Silver Member

6bongp1qgx.jpg

Mr. Dave,
Sounds like you don't like my ring arrangement. I tried to center them up and I did. I guess I was a little off on the joint and when I turned it It took more meat off one side than the other. I never claimed My cues looked perfect. But they really play well. This is not the best I can do. I have never heard of you nor have I got to see your cues in person. I just went to your website and wow!! I am not being a smart ass! I have a ton of respect for you after seeing your work. I now have a new favorite cue builder. I love the designs and wood choices. High end cues and worth every penny. Man they look perfect. When you were bagging on my rings I thought well let me take a look at this guys work. I was hoping to find something negative to say but I can't. I have always admired great work and man I have to tell you, Damn, I do not think I have ever saw prettier cues. I love your taste.

Barioni Cues

Custom Cue Builder
Silver Member
Dave, I tried to look you up in The Blue Book of Pool Cues Second Edition. You should be in there, Why not? I went back to your website. Again truly nice work. When I blow up some of the cues in the web site, the finish looks shiny but does not have that show car look. You know , the one that looks so deep you can dive into it. I don't know if it's the lighting or what. What clear are you using? I have been a custom car painter most of my life. Your cues look so badass but it wouldn't hurt to have that dive into finish. I may be able to help. It looks like in may be the final buffing compound. Anyways I would like to help. If I am able to help, you owe me one. Maybe you could give me some tips!
If not, I understand. No one want's to associate with an arrogant ass. If you can spare some mercy my # is 209-233-6291.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok, I may be lame, I have seen it three or four times now. What the hell is Tap, tap, tap? Is that supposed to represent someone clapping? Like good job or something? I never heard that term here in California!

Yes... An allusion to subtly tapping the butt of a cue on the floor to applaud good play. A very long standing, & time honored tradition.
Kudos, too, for the improved tenor of your last couple posts. Credit where due.
Dave Barenbrugge is, and has been, as is Eric Crisp - more of late, a world reknowned cue craftsman. Both of these guys fall into the "build them & they will come" category. Hangemhigh, Tommy Hindman, and the rest of the Cash/World Class Cues crew, worked under the tutelage of Bill McDaniel - who shared a history & influence with Tim Scruggs & Tony Scianella. Too many names to mention (or for me to remember), but their friendship & association are readily available.
AZ is populated by a wealth of highly talented cue craftsmen, including a few of truly stratospheric stature. Many others who've worked the ropes under legendary names. The legends - Barry Szamboti & Dennis Searing to name but two - do occaisionally drop in and/or browse.
What they have a chance to happen onto, is dictated by those who post...

Last edited: